Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10T at Cabelas

Basic Member

Savage 10T at Cabelas

I see the Savage model 10T is on sale at Cabelas, for $499, looking for opinions here I am thinking of getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor, or I have a few 6BR and a 22-250 that I don't shoot much, I am thinking of either getting model 10T or buying an after market prefit barrel in 6.5CM.. is it a crapshoot on what route will be more accurate.

Chet

Basic Member
    I have the 10T in both 308 and 6.5. Nice rifles. You won't go wrong getting the 6.5. I put a cadex chassis on my Creedmoor. It's in the build section if you want to check it out. I reload so am shooting Hornady 140 ELD-M with 42.0 gr of RL-17. Works good. Currently load development with H4350.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    hi Bearcatrp

i sure will check it out, i just might order one in the creedmoor

thanks
    chet

JoeMal
    I have one in 308...bought it about 2 months before they announced the 6.5 version otherwise I would have got that one.

The factory barrel from Savage is pretty accurate. Worthy of shooting it out before replacing IMO, but to each his own

Basic Member
    Does the 10T have the Accustock and factory bottom metal, or plastic bottom parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHuntr View Post
    Does the 10T have the Accustock and factory bottom metal, or plastic bottom parts?

The one I just brought home has accustom and bottom metal, but the 22" barrel. Another 5% off for military veteran today.

Edit: Trying to find the posts on the process with working with Savage to get the correct 24" barrel. Any hints?
    Last edited by Rucker61; 11-11-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    The one I just brought home has accustom and bottom metal, but the 22" barrel. Another 5% off for military veteran today.

Edit: Trying to find the posts on the process with working with Savage to get the correct 24" barrel. Any hints?
    That is strange. 22" 308 or 6.5? Hate to state the obvious but I would call them. Number is on the website. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I have a 10T in 6.5. For me It's been a bumpy road but the gun is shooting well now. Personally I don't like the Accu-Stock, so I would advise anyone considering getting a 10T to know what they are getting into with regards to that. Also I have had issues with my scope base being not square to receiver. Replacing the stock and rail my 10T essentially turned into a doner gun. Had I known that to be the case from the start I probably would have done things differently.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    That is strange. 22" 308 or 6.5? Hate to state the obvious but I would call them. Number is on the website. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Actually bad measurement on my part. It's a 24.

Savage 10T at Cabelas

Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    Actually bad measurement on my part. It's a 24.
    Haha glad you got that sorted. I suggest checking on your base. Make sure it's securely mounted and throw some levels on it. Mine is not square to the receiver. Be careful with the screws mounting the base to the receiver. I stripped the hex head on one of mine.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I have the 10T in both 308 and 6.5. Nice rifles. You won't go wrong getting the 6.5. I put a cadex chassis on my Creedmoor. It's in the build section if you want to check it out. I reload so am shooting Hornady 140 ELD-M with 42.0 gr of RL-17. Works good. Currently load development with H4350.
    The 10t at Cabelas greatly exceeded my expectations, a very accurate out the box shooter. Was able to adjust accu-trigger down to 1 1/2 lb. Hey bearcatrp, the friend i shoot with regularly shoots prone from a deck at 200yds . He uses smk 142gr, hornaday brass, cci primers, and h4350. last time we shot he was killing it with several 3 shot groups under 3/4" (sub- 3/8"moa). I don't know how many grains of powder, but remembered all he shot that day were between .020, .022, and .024 off the lands. Hope even part of this helps!

Butcher.

Savage 10T at Cabelas

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    Haha glad you got that sorted. I suggest checking on your base. Make sure it's securely mounted and throw some levels on it. Mine is not square to the receiver. Be careful with the screws mounting the base to the receiver. I stripped the hex head on one of mine.

My biggest issue with the 10T out of the box was the stock. The buttstock cheek rest was nowhere near the height needed to get a scope picture. I was basically resting my chin on the stock to get a sight picture with low rings. A cheek riser is a must. I got an adjustable kydex model set to its max elevation (+1.5-1.75") and that sorted me out.

The scope base was bad luck I guess. Not a design flaw. I would not discourage people from getting this model rifle on account of that. More of a general Savage QC oversight.

My other issues with the stock come down to preference really. I would say that a 10T out of the box with the addition of a cheek riser should be good to go but encourage people to go out and handle the rifle and get a feel for the accustock if they plan on keeping it. My 10T now lives in a XLR Element Chassis and shoots sub MOA with factory ELD-Match, ELD-X and Prime. I do like this rifle in its current configuration but It turned out to be more of an investment than I originally anticipated.

Savage 10T at Cabelas

BTW- looking forward to Hornady new ELD-Match 147gr ammo due out next year. They are claiming a G1 BC just shy of .7!

Bullets are available now for you reloaders...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    The 10t at Cabelas greatly exceeded my expectations, a very accurate out the box shooter. Was able to adjust accu-trigger down to 1 1/2 lb. Hey bearcatrp, the friend i shoot with regularly shoots prone from a deck at 200yds . He uses smk 142gr, hornaday brass, cci primers, and h4350. last time we shot he was killing it with several 3 shot groups under 3/4" (sub- 3/8"moa). I don't know how many grains of powder, but remembered all he shot that day were between .020, .022, and .024 off the lands. Hope even part of this helps!

Butcher.
    Nice. Can you ask your friend how much H4350 he is using? Went to range yesterday but ran out of time to test my next batch of reloads. Going monday. Will be pushing the limits of H4350, going up to 2.0 gr above what's in the book. Doubt I will get that far but will see. I always do 5 rounds per specific measurement. Last time out was 42.0 of H4350. No signs of pressure so my next batch is 42.0, 42.2, 42.4, 42.6, and 42.8. 42.0 showed promise so hoping this batch will find the node I want.
    Here is mine with a Cadex chassis and Burris XTR II 4-20x50 w/SCR MOA reticle. Love this scope!

Butcher
    42.8 was best for him. He recommended splitting up or down a tenth from tightest group. At tightest group try very slight seating depth changes. That is a nice looking rig you have there, I'm taking notes but might be awhile for the extra funds.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. Thanks on the compliment. It's a sweet rifle. I shoot Hornady 140 gr ELD-M. My try the new 147 gr when they are released. So far RL-17 is my go to powder until I finish load development with H4350.

Here is mine in a XLR Element, XTR II 4-20 G2B Mil scope, Atlas Bipod and monopod.

I also thing the XTR II is a great scope.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    I see the Savage model 10T is on sale at Cabelas, for $499, looking for opinions here I am thinking of getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor, or I have a few 6BR and a 22-250 that I don't shoot much, I am thinking of either getting model 10T or buying an after market prefit barrel in 6.5CM.. is it a crapshoot on what route will be more accurate. Chet
    My brother just got the 6.5 Creed, even granted he is a good shot, he built up some loads and he was shooting 3/8 inch 5 shot groups out at 105 yds.

He put 9 in under a half inch.

He is a good shot and does consistently better than I do with 308 and 30-06, but this was a shock to both of us with no load development.

Savage 10T at Cabelas

Another important aspect of the 10T people who are considering this gun need to be aware of is the bolt release on the 10T is located near the trigger guard, commonly known as "bottom bolt release" this design is atypical among Model 10s and limits the comparability of aftermarket triggers, stocks, and chassis. For example the SSS Competition Trigger and Rifle Basix SAV-2 triggers are incompatible with the 10T action due to the bottom bolt release. It's worth mentioning that the Model 10 Stealth, the newest model 10 (to the best of my knowledge) uses the older and more prevalent top bolt release. Does this mean Savage has abandoned the bottom bolt release design? I don't know. But the ramifications of that would more than less ensure that the aftermarket won't be making components compatible with BBR models in the future. Just my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    so far after looking at some savage prefits ect, i would love to go with a Bartlien barrel, have to think hard on this, because the price difference is less than $100, vs the complete savage 10T

Chet
    ps mainly looking at accuracy, i have a 6.5x284 with a 8.5 twist Brux that is superbly accurate. i am expecting the bartlien to shoot sort of what the brux does, gun is capable of 1/4" groups with the right shooter @200yds. i would be happy if i can get 3/4" with the 6.5 Creedmoor at 200yds

so far after looking at some savage prefits ect, i would love to go with a Bartlien barrel, have to think hard on this, because the price difference is less than $100, vs the complete savage 10T

Chet
    ps mainly looking at accuracy, i have a 6.5x284 with a 8.5 twist Brux that is superbly accurate. i am expecting the bartlien to shoot sort of what the brux does, gun is capable of 1/4" groups with the right shooter @200yds. i would be happy if i can get 3/4" with the 6.5 Creedmoor at 200yds
    What gun would you put the 6.5 Creed prefit barrel on? A different model 10 receiver you own? Stock?

Basic Member
    i have a 22-250 bvss and and 223 also in a BVSS, i have an extra lg bolt head around here. or i may take the pacnor off the 6BR.

chet

i have a 22-250 bvss and and 223 also in a BVSS, i have an extra lg bolt head around here. or i may take the pacnor off the 6BR.

chet
    Have you ever owned or used an AccuStock Savage?

Basic Member
    Denner Dave

No i have not owned an accustock. If i go the 10T route it will be my first, on my savage 12fv in 223 from Cabelas has the B&C 2997, my 6BR has a stockade bench rest style with the 3" wide front forearm and my 6.5x284 has a home built stock, my B&C 2997 also has a 3" wide x 1/4" thk alum plate on the forearm section, i shoot them out of the same front rest with the 3" wide for bench rest type stocks
    Chet

Savage 10T at Cabelas

Denner Dave

No i have not owned an accustock. If i go the 10T route it will be my first, on my savage 12fv in 223 from Cabelas has the B&C 2997, my 6BR has a stockade bench rest style with the 3" wide front forearm and my 6.5x284 has a home built stock, my B&C 2997 also has a 3" wide x 1/4" thk alum plate on the forearm section, i shoot them out of the same front rest with the 3" wide for bench rest type stocks
    Chet
    I strongly encourage you to handle the 10T in the AccuStock if you can. I would even suggest brining a scope in its rings to throw on the 10T at the store and try to look through it. I say try because as I mentioned earlier I could not get anywhere near a useable scope picture without using a cheek riser. This is a MAJOR design flaw. Not preference. Even with the cheek riser, I found the AccuStock still lacking the ergonomics I desired. For me, and other 10T shooters the AccuStock had to go. I replaced it with a XLR chassis system. With the necessary (in my opinion) stock upgrade the 10T goes from a $500-$600 rifle to a $1k + rifle. Sure it can be done cheaper but i would look at the 10T as more of buying a barreled action than a complete rifle.

Of course your mileage may vary. I rarely shoot off a bench preferring to shoot in the prone. A 10T with the addition of only a cheek riser (+$40) may be suitable for your applications.

Here comes the boo and hiss but if your looking for a $500 gun, in 6.5 Creedmoor that's ready to go out of the box I think the Ruger American Predator ($400) could be worth a look. I know the American's stock suffers from a low comb also but having shot one it's not as bad IMO as the AccuStock. The predator also has been criticized for having a flimsy stock. The AccuStock has a flimsy feel but is aluminum beaded. I have only shot a American once and am not an expert on the rifle so I am not saying that the Ruger is better than the 10T or that the 10T is better than the Ruger. My point is there are other options in 6.5 Creed, in the sub $600 price range that are worth exploring. Again, if you can, handle the guns, especially If your planning on keeping the factory stock. A common theme amount budget rifles seems to be that the factory stocks are junk. Easiest way to cut costs I guess.

If your willing to spend some money on upgrades the 10T is a great, but not perfect (bottom bolt release is a drawback) rifle. I love mine post modifications. However, if you want something that's good to go off the rack I suggest exploring your options and most importantly get a feel for the stock. Just my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    HI Denver Dave

cheek weld is not a problem for me, the bottom bolt release can be an issue later if i want to update the trigger (thats if I go the 10T route) and i have nothing against Ruger, I have had a few in my time, i love some of their handguns, but their rifles are out for me, i have yet to see them shoot near the accuracy of the Savage, i know there are flukes out there, but i will pass on the Ruger and newer 700 Rems, i had 3 Rems in the last 10 years, they just were not up to the accuracy that i was looking for. if i were to build a custom, the Rem 700 action a good one after it was totally accurized, $$$$,

Chet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast