Thread: Source for springs for the Axis?

Source for springs for the Axis?

Has anyone found a good source for higher-power springs for the Axis yet? I built a 5.45x39 last year, and it light-strikes consistently on hard milsurp primers, and about 1 out of 10 on commercial 5.45 ammo. I've checked headspace and firing pin protrusion, those are good, so all that leaves me with is a weak spring, unless someone has other suggestions...

Anyone?

I don't know about heavier springs, but might you be able to up the compression of the factory spring a bit by putting a small washer or spacer between the rear piece of the bolt and the spring?

Ok, finally got to where I could tear down the bolt again and get some dimensions off the spring. I lucked out and and found centuryspring.com. They had an overwhelming variety of springs, so good resource for other gun projects there as well. I just searched by size and picked some that'd fit in the bolt and around the firing pin. They have a minimum order of $50, so I got a variety. I have no idea about spring rate, so I picked some with similar wire size to OEM and varying strength. I figure I'll try a bunch and keep the weakest one that works 100%.

Basic Member
    I've had 6 or 7 ftf also and just wanted to know if the OP ever found a heavier spring that worked?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rdhoggattjr View Post
    I've had 6 or 7 ftf also and just wanted to know if the OP ever found a heavier spring that worked?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I found one that would work, out of the 12 or so I ordered. I had to cut the shorter pigtail spring back to just a couple of coils to make the new one fit. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though, maybe next week. I'll break down the bolt and post pictures if it works well.