Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried ragged hole barrels?

Anyone tried ragged hole barrels?

Ran across them on ebay and the prices using Wilson blanks look right... my only experience with Wilson barrels was on an ar15 upper and I couldn't complain. I'm considering having a creedmoor made but they aren't much cheaper than the xcalibers I have been seeing offered in the classifieds here

Basic Member
    They are on 6mmbr also. Advertising them for 220 chambered and ready to go. Tempting

Are you sure these barrels are the same Wilson as the company that made your AR barrel? I don't think so.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Yeah..... The revolving account they speak of, sounds more like when they have the money they buy from.
    A 6.5mm blank with a 9-twist for $300?!!!
    Yeah, for $25 more I'll just buy a finished BlackHole barrel with an appropriate twist rate.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    They are advertised as the same Wilson barrels that are used on Cooper Rifles.

I have talked with John and had him spin up a couple of barrels for me. They look like nice work, with a muzzle break.

I just finished my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum build and will be shooting it this week for the first time. I will update with a range reports.

Banned
    So jury is out, stay tuned

Basic Member
    For the record, I did see a thread where someone was questioning him and then I saw some other people respond that he did good barrels. I can't remember what site it was on, but I was satisfied enough with the responses to buy.

Basic Member

Here is the barrel, just spun onto the action and poked it into my new boyds to see what it looked like. Its in a number 3 contour, 26 inch with shrewd muzzle brake. I asked him not to contour because I will spin it off for hunts. Funny, he wanted so bad to make it look good, but he did what I asked...

Give him a call, he returned my calls and emails. I bought through ebay, and then he gave me a good deal on another barrel. He might do better pricing without ebay fees.

We talked about calibers, twist, length, contour, finish, etc. I even changed my mind and he went with it. On the other hand, he told me he thought he had a specific barrel and twist in his stock, and so we went with it. He got with me right away and explained his mistake and then took care of me. We've got a local gunsmith who is a magician with rifles, but as nutty as a fruitcake. I guess you just learn to deal with it.

Barrel performance would be the only reason that I would not buy from him again. And, in fact if these barrel shoot I have plans to order another.

In all honesty I didn't notice the BIN price since all were at 220 with no bids. I also didn't look at twist since it seemed all the specs were customizable.

For me 220 seemed like a good compromise between paying 150 for a factory takeoff vs 400+ for a big name barrel. If I had any desire to compete it would be a different story but I only compete against myself and atm I'm not sure a $400 barrel will improve my groups much.

As for the Wilson barrel on my ar it was on an upper purchased from a company that people have loved to hate for years. The description stated it was a 16" stainless bull 1:9 twist from Wilson. I only know of 2 Wilson's in the gun industry. 1 being Wilson combat who is best known for their awesome custom 1911's and parts. The other is the Wilson known for affordable barrels that mostly makes barrels for other companies to use on their rifles. Considering the price for the upper was around 500 usd I'm sure it wasn't Wilson combat.

When I first got that and posted pictures of the groups that were coming from it. I got flamed half to death and accused of shooting the groups with another rifle so I didn't have to admit I got ripped off by Blackthorne products.

With 55gr nosler ballistic tips, lc brass, and h335 it would reliably shoot 1/4" at 100yds. I sold it at a loss years ago to fund one that was more Tacti-COOL and I've regretted it ever since.

Well, I've built a pile of AR's over the years from Blackthorn with the Dave results as you. But at least when I was building years back, those were mostly Mossberg barrels.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    First range report is that they clean easy and no problems. It was pretty windy today so I didn't make a whole lot of effort , just shot it and cleaned it.

I shot cheap Hornady Whitetail ammo and it was about what you would expect with that.

I have some nice hunting ammo loaded with Ballistic tips and Berger vld. It's factory but it should do better than the cheapest stuff.

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Are you sure these barrels are the same Wilson as the company that made your AR barrel? I don't think so.
    Wilson Arms has about 75% of the AR barrel market so the probability is pretty high that the barrel was/is a Wilson Arms barrel.

Basic Member
    I certainly would not be bragging that I bought anything from Blackthorne aka Vulcan aka Hesse or whatever they call themselves these days. They are the same crap company that makes sub par parts.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Well, I've built a pile of AR's over the years from Blackthorn with the Dave results as you. But at least when I was building years back, those were mostly Mossberg barrels.

And that my friends is why I was hesitant to mention them the flame Brigade is never far behind.

Basic Member
    Range report

My 7mm 10 twist likes HSM ammo with 180 grain Berger VLD. I can shoot, but haven't really ever worked to shrink grouos. For instance, I realized today how much I roll the rifle out of level off the front sand bag. And, how the pressure on the cheek weld moves the impact, and how not being centered behind the scope moves point of impact.

Anyhow, here are a couple of groups at 100 yards. I have a Vortex Viper, 6x24 on a 110. In a Boyds provarmint. With a 26"barrel with muzzle brake in a 3 contour.

Basic Member
    Second gun, .25-06, 110, Boyds provarmint, 26 inch with muzzle brake, 3 contour, vortex viper 4x16.

Likes Federal Custom with Nosler ballistic tips.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Second gun, .25-06, 110, Boyds provarmint, 26 inch with muzzle brake, 3 contour, vortex viper 4x16.

Likes Federal Custom with Nosler ballistic tips.

I swear that I the group on the cardboard is a three shot group, unless I had a flyer that went off like 7 inches or something. But, I'd never claim it as a three shot group, and if it were, it would be pure luck... but I have no idea where that shot went...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    I swear that I the group on the cardboard is a three shot group, unless I had a flyer that went off like 7 inches or something. But, I'd never claim it as a three shot group, and if it were, it would be pure luck... but I have no idea where that shot went...
    the right hole looks oblonged I'd say there's 3 in there. I had the same thing happen last weekend. I was like where did the other bullet go? did a second group and same thing. put two in the same hole then pulled one. lol

To barrelbrothers I poked around on your website and did not find a reamer list. that would be valueable knowledge.
    Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-17-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Basic Member
    I would suggest just sending him an email to see what calibers he has. And, he said he would buy any reamer.

Basic Member
    Second range report:

These ragged hole barrels have shot the best groups I've ever put down range. I'm shooting off bags on the bench.

Here is my 25-06 at 100 yards, using Federal Custom, 110 grain Trophy Copper. I am sure that if I get my technique down they would shrink even more. Sometimes, I'm not square and the rifle jumps right or left on the shot. And, its the "flyers" usually. Man, this is addicting...

Basic Member
    This is my 7mm rem mag with Vortex Viper 6x24 almost done. My 25-06 is pretty much configured similar...

Basic Member
    Hmmm...just visited your site. It shows $240 shipped, not $220.

Banned
    My wife has the same problem. she makes beautiful beaded jewelry, doesn't know anything about how to run web sites, ungh. I am a nuts and bolts guy, I keep computers running but don't' do web sites either.

Good news is barrels are easier to sell that Jewelry which other than the bulk stiff sells better person to person.

Basic Member
    No problem. Thank you for clarifying. I didn't see what chambers you offer on the website either. I'm assuming your chambered barrels are complete drop in ready to shoot? What is your current turn-around time for orders?

DGF1985
    Do you produce 450 Bushmaster savage barrels as well?

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast