Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Savage rifle build.HELP!

Smitty78

My first Savage rifle build.HELP!

Hi all. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am seeking information from a knowledgeable savage shooter. I am doing this rifle build because I am tired of being at the mercy of my gunsmith. So I am building a savage and doing the work myself.
    This will be a combination long range hunting target rifle. It's going to be a 30/375 Ruger wildcat cartridge. I want to use a heavy 28 inch barrel. And I plan on shooting the berger 230 grain bullets exclusively. So what I need help with is a parts list. I want to use what ever savage rifle has the longest magazine box. Internal or external does not matter to me. I want to be able to load these long 230 grain bullets as shallow into the case as possible to save case capacity. So can someone tell me what I should start with? I want to build the rifle on the cheap as much as possible to save money for great optics. So what action will work with a 3.7 inch oal cartridge and be the most cost effective? What bolt head will I need? .375 Ruger has a.532 inch case head.
    And any suggestions on where to purchase my barrel?

Banned
    I am going to be pretty critical l as this has all the hallmarks of a wild whim as opposed to thought out.

You are going off the reservation with a Wildcat as your first build.

Secondly you are driving requirements by bullet seating length when in fact that may not be accurate and if you need or want more case capacity and reach out, then just go with a 338 Lapua. Proven out over a mile.

It sounds like you want to blow up a rifle not build something rational. Is that why the gun smiths are not doing it for you?

So lets establish the baseline on those points and then discuss it if you want a rational approach, caliber and build.

I'll be even more critical.
    You pay a gunsmith, meaning you are never at his mercy; you are paying for a thing.
    So you want to build your own, great, good place to come to.

You want to build a 28" HB to hunt with?? Hopefully somewhere there are no trees or walking. And I carry a 20# rifle across section lines at a time...
    If you want to know action lengths, RTFF, it's at the top left of the page., Or look at any schematic from Brownells, or Savage's website, etc.
    You want a wildcat, you want to stuff the shizz out of the case with powder, you want to buy great optics, but the rest better be cheap.... Oh and which bolt head is a .532.....

How about this. Read the FAQ. Look in your load manuals with case drawings, a good many things get explained there.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of Savage Shooters Smitty78.

Banned
    Agreed welcome (sorry about that) but as it stands, you do not seem to be the type of person that wants advice (from what I can tell - I could be wrong and will stand corrected) as much as you want endorsement and a list of items so you can blow a gun up. While I agree you should be allowed to do that, you may also affect someone else be it your family or someone shooting with you.

I won't assist in that process.

Clear it up and come up with sane goals and needs and that is different.

WeldNFool
    Cheap rifle components but high end optics? When you say cheap you do know that stocks are $350 and up, barrels are $350 and up, especially if you are looking at a 28" barrel. I just bought a 28" Shilen, recoil lug and stainless nut, right at $400 shipped. New stock I'm waiting on, $325 plus my time and labor to finish it and it will be a $500 stock, then I have to add the cost of the paint I want. If you don't have a donor rifle for the action then buying an action will run you $400-600. Add in good optics at $1000-1500 or more and you're well beyond $2000 in a hurry. I haven't found anything cheap about building a rifle and this is my first build as well.

The 338 lapua is it but maybe a custom for such a long loaded round unless you could use the mags they use in tube guns with the open front to allow for long seated bullets and then machine the clearance in the long receiver to allow for such a long round. If it were me I would go with a .300 Winchester short mag and call it a day. It will kill anything on the continent practically. I really don't see such a need for such a wildcat unless that is what you have to have. But doing it on the cheap isn't going to happen.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Well a standard long action has an opening of 3.8" and that seems plenty long. As far as mags are concerned I am uninformed. A 338 Lapua Mag action will have the length you need and a mag that will accept the cartridges you say you want. Now as far as cheep goes, I'm guessing that is a relative term. If you have had a custom rifle built then 2K may seem quite cheep, for me they both are a little out of range but that's the world I live in. This could still turn into a interesting thread yet.

Tough crowd! LOL!

Smitty78
    WOW. U guys are something else!!!
    Ok to the first guy, I didn't say that this was my first rifle build. I said this was my first SAVAGE rifle build I already have a lapua. I want a 30 caliber.I have been handloading my own ammo since I was sixteen. Never had an accident or what did you say blew up a rifle. HAVE YOU? And I can very my primer, powder and charge weight to dial in my accuracy. I have no intention of building a rifle that holds 4 rounds but only load one at a time.
    Thanks for all of your helpful information.

Smitty78
    No too the second guy. Let me ask you a question. How many very expensive hunting trips have been ruined because a GUNSMITH did not deliver a rifle by the date that he said he would. Yes anytime that a person is relying upon another person to provide a service and they have no means by which to force them to deliver by a certain date then yes you are at there mercy.

Smitty78
    Yes guy number two. I will hunt with a rifle that has a 28 inch barrel. I will carry it in my hands or maybe hanging from a sling on my shoulder for as many miles as I need to. Not ride it around strapped to an atv or in a wheel barrow. Carried a 112 magnum target for two hunts. Heavy? **** right. I left my purse in the truck and made it through the hunt though.

Smitty78
    Guy three. If I didn't want advice I wouldn't have asked. I joined this forum seeking information from guys that already know. Sure I can search and study all over and find the answers to my questions but I was hoping that someone who already knew would make it faster and simpler for me. Guess maybe this forum is not comprised of those kind of guys.

Smitty78
    Guy four. Yes I consider Any parts available for a Savage rifle to be very cheap (inexpensive, not junk) compared to the cost of practically any custom rifle that probably won't shoot any better. And I am going cheap on my rifle because nightforce and Zeiss scopes are expensive. Im looking at 3,200$ at the moment. Might find a sale somewhere around xmas and get it for 3 grand.

Smitty78
    Guy five. Thank you for attempting to be helpful instead of critical. You are awesome. See I am asking about mag length because I don't have a savage to take any actual measurements from and I am hoping to find one that is like my old Weatherby vanguard. It was a .300 wby mag. Max coal 3.560, but the internal mag would accommodate a round loaded to 3.71. It always ced reliably but it just never would shoot any bullets over 180 grains. I went through a LOT of powder trying to find a good load with berger and hornady bullets.

Smitty78
    Guy six. Thank you also. I am not going to shell out the cash for a custom. I really do want to start doing some of my own work. Thanks for the information.

WeldNFool
    Cheap for Bill Gates isn't cheap for others. $3200 for a "cheap" rifle isn't what a lot of guys would consider "cheap" considering income, budget, etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty78 View Post
    No too the second guy. Let me ask you a question.
    1) How many very expensive hunting trips have been ruined because a GUNSMITH did not deliver a rifle by the date that he said he would.
    2) Yes anytime that a person is relying upon another person to provide a service and they have no means by which to force them to deliver by a certain date then yes you are at there mercy.
    1) None, of the 3 Smiths I use, they have NEVER been the hold up. They always say up front what timeframe it's going to be, and whether or not my deadlines work. So unless we are all playing a little game with the truth, there is no surprise.
    2) Again, yes there is. It's called a contract. When one person pays another for specified work, terms, deadlines, we call that a contract. Contacts always have penalties, bonuses, and terms clearly spelled out. For piddly things you don't bring ink and paper into it. If you are paying for these expensive hunts, and glass, and a smith, you may want to. Unless you dropped a basket case of 1 month before and are crying foul.

Instead of worrying about where you left your purse, or how long your barrel is, focus on accuracy. A barrel of that length in that cartridge, again, is classic "stuff it with Mo powder and get you an extra 300 fps, cause there ain't no "signs" of pressure in the brass!" talk.

Showing-up asking classic red flag questions, all of which are easily found in the FAQ, with the search function, and in your load manual.
    You give nothing up front, but in your replies suddenly have some details. But again "red flag" stuff. You seem happy to spend $3000 on a scope, and smiths, and as you said "Many very expensive hunts" ...But said you refuse to spend the money for a custom.....
    A guy spending money on "many very expensive hunts", $3,000 on glass, smiths, but needing a $300 gun...
    Sounds a bit like someone bought a Porche, but doesn't like buying fuel or tires.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    If you don't mind single loading then any long action will work. you could just buy an Alaskan Brush Hunter in 375 ruger and have your LA large shank action with correct bolt head and install your barrel and stock and be done. I see these rifles for under 550 locally. the neat thing about the 375 is it can be used in shorter barrels and be efficient are you sure you need 28 inch. my daughters f class rifle shoots berger 215 at approximately 2600fps out of a 26 inch CBI barrel and it's a .308. I have been thinking about a similar build but in a short barrel rifle. the barrel length you want to run you could just use the proven 300RUM also. what stock are you planning to use?

Pappy hits the nail on the head. The Rum has more boiler room than the Ruger case if case volume is what you are after. The Win Mag is potent also.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Tough crowd! LOL!
    For sure! When I first saw the OP I said to myself. "Seriously!?"

Basic Member
    Smitty,I knew You would get some positive advise in time if You were a little patient, and pappy83 has come through. If Savage is putting it out in the 375 Ruger, what is so unrealistic about a necked down 30/375 Ruger?

We have already been informed the Savage 338 Lapua is "unsafe and should not exist"!

Perhaps the 375 Ruger is supposed to fall into this catigory also?

By the way, is scope eye (Dean) still alive? ;-))

I would like to end this post with a short prayer.

Dear Lord: Please call Me home long before I slip into "cantankerous gezzery" :-((

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Dear Lord: Please call Me home long before I slip into "cantankerous gezzery" :-((
    Amen brother, but I fear I am doomed to fail!

Banned
    I have already failed though mostly I keep it under control.

Smithy78: I hope you can see that you came and are coming across as someone no one would want to be next to on the firing range.

Wildcats are fine, I am going to build a bit of an oddity one of these days as well (not a wildcat) . They can also have serious downsides.

Your goal seems to be to stuff as much powder in a case as you possibly can. From someone who has that much reloading experience is truly scary.

You then can't seem to find standard reloading data in your manul(s).

We are happy to help, the caveat is the person we are helping has to come across as something you have not.

So I will continue to be ornery and grumpy unless a more sane approach is listed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty78 View Post
    WOW. U guys are something else!!!
    Ok to the first guy, I didn't say that this was my first rifle build. I said this was my first SAVAGE rifle build I already have a lapua. I want a 30 caliber.I have been handloading my own ammo since I was sixteen. Never had an accident or what did you say blew up a rifle. HAVE YOU? And I can very my primer, powder and charge weight to dial in my accuracy. I have no intention of building a rifle that holds 4 rounds but only load one at a time.
    Thanks for all of your helpful information.
    I guess I am the first guy, so no I have never had a rifle blow up. I was on the range when one did. While the neglect was not the shooters (shop employee sighting in a gun for a client) I did get the dubious privilege of seeing a mouth blowing blood as well as an adjacent shooter with a cheek (could have been an eye for both people) that was bruised over the whole surface and perforated by the side shrapnel.

The shooter lost 5 teeth and undergoing extensive surgery to put his mouth back in order. It could have been worse but it was plenty ugly enough for me.

Not sure what 4 rounds has to do with anything, its the one round in the chamber that does the damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast