Hi all. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am seeking information from a knowledgeable savage shooter. I am doing this rifle build because I am tired of being at the mercy of my gunsmith. So I am building a savage and doing the work myself.
This will be a combination long range hunting target rifle. It's going to be a 30/375 Ruger wildcat cartridge. I want to use a heavy 28 inch barrel. And I plan on shooting the berger 230 grain bullets exclusively. So what I need help with is a parts list. I want to use what ever savage rifle has the longest magazine box. Internal or external does not matter to me. I want to be able to load these long 230 grain bullets as shallow into the case as possible to save case capacity. So can someone tell me what I should start with? I want to build the rifle on the cheap as much as possible to save money for great optics. So what action will work with a 3.7 inch oal cartridge and be the most cost effective? What bolt head will I need? .375 Ruger has a.532 inch case head.
And any suggestions on where to purchase my barrel?