Thread: model 12fv or 25

Tbass2415

model 12fv or 25

Hi guys looking for a mostly benchrest gun to shoot .223. My local range only goes to 200 yards. Once in a while ill be able to get to a longer distance range. prob no more than 400 yards anyways. I would like to hunt coyote with this gun as well. Prob again only once or twice a year on a friends property. I am set on .223 for its price of ammo. I will also eventually reload the .223.

My debate is buying the cabelas special model 12 fv for 419 or a model 25 lightweight thumbhole for 3 hundred more. What are the differences. I know the detachable magazine, laminate stock, and 2 inches on the barrel. but are there any major mechanical differences. Is one "better than the other"

I could buy a boyds laminate stock on the model 12fv for 130 dollars. Still save 150 on the rifle. Thoughts?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    My vote is the FV for benchrest. Take a look at the model 12FV threads below to see why.

I thinking he means shooting off the bench not benchrest shooting. Model 12 for sure.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I bought a 12 FV in 223 for my son last year. On sale at Cabelas and a $100 rebate from Savage (I'm hoping the rebate is offered again around Black Friday after Thanksgiving) and the final price was $289 after the rebate. I put a $180 thumbhole laminate stock, $250 Vortex scope, Bi-Pod, 20 MOA scope base, and some decent scope rings. It shoots very small groups.. with my son shooting....and reloading is a snap. So for under a grand, it's a very good target gun, and killed a boar with it last month.

Pretty hard to beat that on a fun per dollar basis. You can certainly do a whole lot worse!

I have a 12FV and would probably not want to carry it out into the fields/woods for yotes. It's barrel heavy, and just heavy IMO for a "field" gun unless you're a youngster. I'm 61 so I bought a Ruger 223 at 6.5# to take into the woods/fields for yotes.

The FV will work for me in PD fields since I don't plan on humping it around too much there but one never knows.

Tbass2415
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I bought a 12 FV in 223 for my son last year. On sale at Cabelas and a $100 rebate from Savage (I'm hoping the rebate is offered again around Black Friday after Thanksgiving) and the final price was $289 after the rebate. I put a $180 thumbhole laminate stock, $250 Vortex scope, Bi-Pod, 20 MOA scope base, and some decent scope rings. It shoots very small groups.. with my son shooting....and reloading is a snap. So for under a grand, it's a very good target gun, and killed a boar with it last month.

Pretty hard to beat that on a fun per dollar basis. You can certainly do a whole lot worse!

While we're on topic. What kind of stock did you put on. I'm looking for a thumbhole stock and need some suggestions on some good quality ones. I really like the grs. But they. Are a little pricey.

Basic Member
    I got an EABrown laminated thumb hole with pillars installed. It was truly a bolt on quality, but i bedded it after a few trips to the range with it.

Here's a link: http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhol...k_p_14233.html