Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 338 Lapua Mag - First impressions

I called Savage, it is a 20 MOA on stealth. Had an FCP, good rifle. Swapped rail, not sure if it was the style or not 20 MOA reason for the swap. I could get about .7 - .8 MOA out of the FCP. Tried bedding stock to tighten it up. Sold soon after that so not sure if it made a big difference or not.

Sure you will enjoy it. Let us know how it shoots.

Basic Member
    Will do. did you try reloads or commercial ammo? How was the action on yours? Is the stealth better built in your opinion?
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Good News \ Bad News

Good - Primary Scope just came in from repair (31 days including shipping both ways and Thanksgiving & Christmas), mounted it, hopefully go to range next Monday to sight back in.

Bad - Suppressor tax stamp arrived. Bummer - has wrong thread size, need 5/8 - 24 tpi, can't find one in stock.

Bearcatrp -

I used both factory and reloads - like reloads RL-22 84.6 using 285 Amax. Action had no issues. Personally I like stealth because of the chassis, rest is same barrel and action.

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Good - Primary Scope just came in from repair (31 days including shipping both ways and Thanksgiving & Christmas), mounted it, hopefully go to range next Monday to sight back in.
    Not too hateful... I've got an ERS, so it's good to hear they took care of you.

Bad - Suppressor tax stamp arrived. Bummer - has wrong thread size, need 5/8 - 24 tpi, can't find one in stock.
    Oooh, big bummer.... what'd you get?

Sig 338TI-QD - dealer got me a muzzle break attachment for 7.62 so I can at least use on 300WM & 6.5. 338 5/8-24 tpi backordered.

There was a question about difference between Drake Hunter\Stalker chassis (basis for Stealth) vs MDT LSS Chassis. Here is a good list by Frank on Snipers Hide - http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...talker-chassis

Snipers Hide -
    Drake Associates has an exclusive agreement with MDT for the production of a modified chassis system that has DRAKE design influenced features “For Snipers by Snipers” TM (pending).

Special Ergonomics features have been added to the Drake Hunter Stalker LWSS (Light Weight Sniper System) Universal Chassis over original MDT LSS design as a very custom and exclusive product improvement
    1 Hunter Stalker LWSS Universal chassis is also available in both SHORT and LONG Action - Remington 700 and Savage 10/110
    2 Hunter Stalker Raked Magwell for distinctive look and special function - quick changes with minimal movement of chassis - streamlined with tracking channel for insert of mag.
    3 Special Drake Military Division SNIPER logo engraving with Distinctive DRAKE - Bat wing TM design
    4 CHASSIS is DELIVERED with one AICS Type Patterned magazine INCLUDED - so customer has this in hand when package arrives!
    5 Special cuts around trigger guard to allow for correct fit of Ergo Grip that has finger groove ears above for index finger.
    6 Special and enhanced and "EXTENDED XL" forend giving a longer forend for use when shooting in alternate position or shooting off packs allowing for proper hand placement
    or more surface contact area (off pack)
    7 Enlarged area forward of recoil lug for custom and enlarged OAL / DRAKE Quick Change Barrel (QCB) nut clearance
    8 Exclusive Right hand Left Hand Chassis design (patent pending)
    9 Additional holes in 3/9 oclock position for use with 6" Picitinny Rail assemblies that contain flush cup design
    10 Optional 6 oclock position rail or bipod stud
    11 Optional folder device/pivot for butt stock
    12 Drake has selected the superior FAB defense GL-Shock Buttstock as a standard upgrade over the traditional Magpul CT

GL-Shock features:

• Reduces recoil and muzzle rise to allow faster, more accurate fire.
    • 5 sling attachment points, including 2 QR attachment points.
    • Storage compartment for batteries or parts.
    • MIL-SPEC reinforced polymer composite, steel hardware, rubber buttpad.
    • Fits any weapon that accepts M-4/AR15 style stocks.
    • Patented system reduces recoil and muzzle rise.
    • Auto-tensioner for no-rattle fit on both mil-spec and commercial tubes!
    • Comfortable rubber butt pad provides traction on body armor.
    • Streamlined shape will not snag on gear.
    • Cheek riser is adjustable for optimal height for optics.
    (NO ADDITIONAL Cheek pieces Need to be added)

Dealer got a Sig 7.62 5/8-24 Flash Hider in so I can use on the 338 to mount the Suppressor. The Sig 338 Muzzle Break will not fit on the 7.62 barrel mount, probably a safety feature to prevent a 7.62 muzzle break from being mounted on a 338 - that would ruin your day.

Will try and mount Sunday if I can get stock break off, if not a trip to gunsmith. Hope to test in a week or so.

Suppressor mounted and zeroed. Went to Talladega and had ok results, somewhat inconsistant (approx 1 moa at 200yd). RSO came over and we found the rail was a little loose. Did not have right tool to tighten in the deep set screw, so called it a day. Moral of the story - check your rails often - espescially before driving 150 miles each way.

Good news, no issues with the suppressor.

Also had a really bad jam in Talladega, entire unfired round stuck in barrel. After making sure safe, RSO and I tried cleaning rod, nothing worked. He called over this really neat guy who had some serious experience. He took a fired .17 hornet casing and slid it into barrel, then used a cleaning rod to push round out, no damage to barrel. He explained that the .17 casing slid over bullet and provided a solid and stable base allowing round to push out.

Needless to say I now keep a few fired .17 cases in my pack. Round on my workbench as a reminder to exercise greater care when reloading and not to force round to chamber.

Folks at Talladega are first rate in my book.

Poolguy
    Vortex also has a very generous military law enforcement discount check their website

Test report. Went to Talladega and shot 25 rounds. All 10 ring. Tested ABM 300 from Bryan Lutz, good ammo. All rounds 10 ring. Suppressor worked well. Now that all issues cleared up, will proceed to stretch the range out next trip.

Results update. Another trip to Talladega and good results, got dope for 200, 300, 600 and wind to 10 mph. No issues and holding 10 ring. Scope and suppressor having no issues. Interestingly, suppressor has more felt recoil than Savaga break had. After 35 shots, shoulder felt it. Confidence in rifle growing, still favor the 300 WM a little. Need to work on loads, at 78gr RL-22 with a 300 OTM Berger.

Basic Member
    You will feel more recoil with a suppressor than a brake. Think of it as the Suppressor "slowing" down the recoil as that's how it reduces the sound. By slowing down the gasses.

A brake redirects the gasses in order to use them to reduce recoil. The felt result is less recoil from the shorter recoil path taken by the rifle when the gasses are redirected.

Pictures of 338 at Talladega with electronic target read-out. Shooting 300 Berger OTM with 78 gr RL-22 powder. Wind was 10 mph right to left

Last edited by CBryars2; 06-18-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Larger pictures

Did some more analysis. Above target was 5.888 at 600 yds. MOA was 0.937. 10 mph right to left wind.

Tested 338 LM with Magnetospeed, load RL-22 78g, Berger 300 OTM. Was expecting abut 2500 fps. Got repeated (6 shots) all > 2500 fps. Avg 2554 SD 11.6. All with Suppressor.

Need to work that SD down, looks like my scales are allowing 3 or so powder per .1 gr.

Any ideas?

Suggestions?
    Last edited by CBryars2; 07-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Photobucket hosed me, pictures won't display. Goint to try niride Boron coating from David Tubb to see what chages they make. Want to get velocity up another 50-100 fps.

Basic Member
    Photobucket hosed me, pictures won't display. Goint to try niride Boron coating from David Tubb to see what chages they make. Want to get velocity up another 50-100 fps.
    BLUF: 50-100fps is only going to get you .1 mil tops improvement in your drop/wind data.

You'll loose ~50fps with the same charge, then have to bump your charge, may see pressure signs or maybe not. Once you use coated bullets in a barrel you should continue to use them or clean it completely and start over. I shot the coated DTACs in 3 barrels. The first 2 barrels I tried to shoot uncoated bullets in after shooting coated and I couldn't get them to group at all. I never attempted it again in the 3rd barrel. I would stick with what you have or invest in a custom spec'd barrel if you want more velocity. I won't mess with coated bullets again as they tend to dirty your seating die pretty bad. I sometimes had to stop and clean it out mid loading session due to the build up. So I always started by pouring the bullets out of the box on to a cloth and roll them all over it to get the excess powder off.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 07-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Good info, need to carefully think over your comments. Mainly interested in cold bore and extending barrel life.

Basic Member
    if you want the extra velocity maybe have someone re-chamber the barrel to .338 edge? would be like a poor mans .338 lapua that can run with the big dogs.

at the expense of your shoulder of course.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    if you want the extra velocity maybe have someone re-chamber the barrel to .338 edge? would be like a poor mans .338 lapua that can run with the big dogs.

at the expense of your shoulder of course.
    Could go 338 Lapua AI and continue using all the same components with one new Die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Could go 338 Lapua AI and continue using all the same components with one new Die.

thought the lapua was too much for the 110 action? something with the bolt head being to large causing the lugs to get damaged? this is a 338 win mag correct?

Basic Member
    That's true. I forgot what we were starting with

Sorry guys, I messed up, it should read 338 Lapua Mag. Not sure how to fix thread title.

Basic Member
    Sorry guys, I messed up, it should read 338 Lapua Mag. Not sure how to fix thread title.
    Fixed it for you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast