Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 338 Lapua Mag - First impressions

Savage Stealth in 338 Lapua Mag - First impressions

Call me crazy - but I took the plunge and picked up the 338 Lapua Savage Stealth. Like the 300 WM it is a considerably different from my Stealth 6.5 on several points evident after a complete once over. Cleaned and lubed with following first impressions:

1. Ran ammo through chamber, with no feed issues.
    2. Accurate Mag - no MDT Mag so no issues like those seen on 6.5.
    3. Fit and finish was excellent.
    4. One piece mono-chassis, balance is a little front heavy with empty mag.
    5. One piece rail that has 2 levels for night vision.
    6. 11.5 pounds, so a little heavier that the 300 WM.
    7. Same stock. going to try it out more and if no go going to try a Luth MBA3 to retain collapsing stock.
    8. Threaded 5/8-24 with installed muzzle break, same as my Stealth 300 WM - works very well.

Mounted rail for bipod.

Tubbs Final to Finish for break-in.

If this shoots as well as it looks to be made, it will be a winner. Will be selling my Savage 110 FCP.

At the Range:

Mounted with a Bushnell XLR 4.5-30 on Larue mount.

GL Stock - as with 300 WM - Tames recoil more than 110 FCP in 338, so stock works as advertised.

So for bolt action completely switched to Savage Stealths.

Last edited by CBryars2; 07-26-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Wrong calibre

Basic Member
    How much? I found one locally for a little over $1300. How's the recoil? As much as I hate drake associates for screwing up my order on my cadex chassis, there chassis looks pretty good. Have you tried fast loading to check binding? Since selling my 50BMG, been wanting a 338 Lapua. Will have to decide.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

I found it for 1299 at Academy Sports. Recoil is really tamed with muzzle break and GL Shock stock. Have 110 FCP with break and the Stealth recoil is more managable, no sharp pulse. Can stay on target during pulse so good for follow-up shot if needed.

Have not tried rapid fire yet, waiting to finish breaking in barrel. Got some ABM ammo in to try, I expect it to be the gold standard for me.

As promised test result using Tubb Final Finish #3 250gr pushed by RL-22 77gr powder. Measure .47 at 100 yds.

This rifle really shoots! Very happy with my new 338.

Basic Member
    Any chance you tried cycling through a full mag to see if any binding? No need to fire rounds, just fast cycling. One of the biggest complains I have with both of my 10T's is if I try to cycle fast, it binds up. Slow works great though. Am still considering selling my Creedmoor to fund a 338. Will have to test the waters to see if I get any bites.

Range trip tomorrow to work on loads. Also trying Berger on the Lapua and 300 WM.
    Hope to sell my 2 old rifles, someone is scheduled to meet me at the range.
    Will try and post results Tues or Wednesday.

bearcatrp - Will try fast cycling to see if any binds

Range Report - Not!

My scope packed it in. Having to send back for warranty work (lifetime luckily). So nothing really to report.

Bearcatrp - Did rapid cycling, no issues, good smooth bolt.

Basic Member
    Thanks. Am still considering one. What scope died on you?

A little reluctant to mention brand, wanted to give them the chance to make it right first. Major brand high-end scope.

Called Savage and they confirmed rail is 20 MOA on the Stealth 338 and 300WM. Good News!

Bipod mounting options.

Asked on another forum about bipod mounts.

For Harris type sling attach, the rifle comes with an appropriate stud.

If you have a rail mount what I recommend might be a more secure choice. MDT makes a rail that fits the Chassis. I removed the front sling stud from chassis and mounted the rail where is was. Brownells has part# 100-009-791WB MDT 5.0 Rail with QD Sling Point Mfr Part: 102215BLK. It works perfectly and is very snug.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    What scope died on you?
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    A little reluctant to mention brand, wanted to give them the chance to make it right first. Major brand high-end scope.
    Looks like a Bushnell XLR 4.5-30 on Larue mount
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Nice rifle, cant wait to see the range report.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    So did the scope just fall apart or what?

First noticed I lost zero at Talladega about 2-3 months ago, thought I had done something. John the RSO there (great guy really has helped me), reset my zero and I was able to continue. Repeated itself 2 times more, got to point I could not lower enough to sight in ant 100 on 338. It shot 3 rounds touching then jumped up 6 inches. Enough was enough, had reset zero multiple times by the manual. Also tried a box test at 100 yd was 1 moa right. The index mark on elevation also was moving.

The Scope was a Bushnell XRS ET45305GZ, so pretty high end scope. Almost got a viper PST 6-24 with the 2c reticle, but I like features on Bushnell. John also supported my choice so that made it solid in my mind.

All scopes from all manufacturers can have issues. Heard Bushnell takes excellent care of customers so I sent back Tuesday. Hoping to have it back in time to go to Talladega on 23 Dec. I will do my load development on 338 using my backup scope for now.

Anyone interested in Viper PST, Amazon had them for 914 (from memory) right now with 2C reticle.

Basic Member
    CBryars2 - Why did you use the Tubb Final Finish? Did notice a problem in the factory barrel?

Yes I used Final Finish. I now use that to break in my rifles. Did my wifes RPR and my Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel) + others by regular method and consider the Final Finish a less expensive, faster approach. Based on .41 moa on Stealth 6.5 creedmoor (24" barrel) and 300 WM < .5 MOA results it has tested out for me. This is the 5th rifle I have used it on. On previous rifles I have seen it tighten up the groups considerably.

No issue with factory barrel, but at 2-5 bucks a shot, putting 100+ rounds to break in was not worth it. Just my opinion, no expert.

Basic Member
    Sent you a PM asking if the brake is pin welded or removable. I also emailed savage.

Bearcatrp - It is on std 5/8 24 tpi, not pinned. Easily removed to add a suppressor. All Stealth either have 5/8 24 tpi threaded with thread protector, or with 300WM & 338 - muzzle brake.

Basic Member
    Awesome. Thanks

Range report and new stock test.

Since my primary scope is in the shop, mounted my back-up on my Stealth 338 Lapua and headed to my home range. Since indoors, folks shooting AR-15's nearby are really noisy, guess good practice at handling distractions. Guy arrived next to me shooting a .308 bolt action. I waited for him to mount his target (range has cables to move target out to distance. He inquired why, told him my muzzle blast would rip his target. He thought I was kidding. After I fired the 33, he realized I wasn't.

Was having to sight-in backup scope and test Berger 300 OTM bullets. Not bad for my backup $200 BSA scope. It goes out of focus after first shot of string, so a little bit of a pain.

Also mounted the Luth MBA-3 on the 338. Swapped it back and forth between GL-Shock and the MBA-3. The MBA-3 wins on adjust ability. It does force a lower rear bag placement that what I was used to. The rear pad shiftability is really nice. Able to move & up down and right & left.

Quick update.
    Primary scope is still in shop, so slowed me down shooting. Due to go to Talladega the 23rd Dec. Not sure if I will make it.

Bummer - The secondary scope cannot handle the 338 Lapua, recoil is making it go out of focus each shot. Will hold off shooting 338 until primary scope fixed.

The waiting is the worst part, check daily to see when they will ship scope back. Been 3 weeks, but in fairness, first 4 days were Thanksgiving, so really only on 2 weeks and 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    How much? I found one locally for a little over $1300. How's the recoil? As much as I hate drake associates for screwing up my order on my cadex chassis, there chassis looks pretty good. Have you tried fast loading to check binding? Since selling my 50BMG, been wanting a 338 Lapua. Will have to decide.
    I thought the chassis is a MTD LSS-XL made in conjunction with Savage and Drake. Not sure what the result of the Savage/Drake collaboration is aside from m-lok.

According to articles I read, the Savage chassis is a Drake (made for them by MDT). Drake is the maker of the unit tested by US Army sniper team - article on Drake site. The MDT regular LSS chassis is shorter based on info I looked at. They have a longer version that is set-up for fixed stock.

Basic Member
    Ended up buying a savage FCP instead of the stealth. Was listed in the classifieds here. Hope to have it in a week or so. Am curious though on the rail on the stealth. 0 moa or 20?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast