Thread: Lefty thumbhole/pistol grip for right hand action?

groundhogsniper

Lefty thumbhole/pistol grip for right hand action?

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a different stock. I have a model 12 FCV (detachable mag) that I would like to put a lefty thumbhole or pistol grip stock on. The problem is finding a stock that works with the DBM and having the bolt release on the bottom. I was looking into the Choate ultimate sniper and varmint stocks but found that neither a compatible with the bottom bolt release. The only company so far that looks promising is Richards microfit. I don't have any experience in finishing/bedding a stock and from what I've seen they come delivered pretty rough. I'm not totally against finishing and bedding myself being I'm a hands on kind of guy, especially for the price. But it would be nice to just drop in and go with minimal work.

Another thing that concerns me is that this rifle shoots great, around .5 MOA if I do my part, with the factory stock. I doubt I will see much improvement going to a different stock but I like the looks of a thumbhole/pistol grip. I don't want to buy an aftermarket stock and have it end up only shooting 1 MOA when I can have better with the factory stock. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Team Savage
    I did just that but it was a right hand thumb hole stock cut for a left hand action. Worked like a charm. Free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo while the right hand stays in control of the stock.
    Mine happens to be a Richard's Micro Fit. Just ordered up a right hand thumb hole bench rest style stock, plugged the right bolt handle cut and re cut it on the left side. (top bolt release)
    Only issue will be color. You need a color that can be matched so the plug doesn't show. Mine is black and black so color matching wasn't an issue. A little work with a Magic Marker matched the color before it got the final clear coat.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    I have a few Boys left hand thumbholes on right hand actions. I like them a lot.

The ProVarmint is ambidextrous.

groundhogsniper
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I have a few Boys left hand thumbholes on right hand actions. I like them a lot.

The ProVarmint is ambidextrous.
    I couldn't find any in that configuration on their website?

Also thanks for the reply nor Cal, I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Richards microfits, I really don't want to screw up and ruin a stock.

Basic Member
    ^^^ I can't find them, now, either. Too bad. They were a great design. Guess I will be holding on to what I have!

groundhogsniper
    Dang, thought maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. My next question was whether you were willing to part ways with one, I guess you answered that, lol

Basic Member
    Yeah.

NEVER!

Basic Member
    It doesn't make sense. It isn't difficult to do. You might try calling them.

groundhogsniper
    Yeah I don't see why they don't offer it if they obviously did at one point. I put a product request form in, hopefully other people have too.

Another question, anyone have a Choate stock? I was looking into the varmint stocks but found out they don't offer one compatible with the bottom bolt release

Team Savage
    When it comes to dealing with Richard's Micro Fit, you have to figure on doing some to LOTS of work on their stocks. I've heard they were referred to as "A Gunsmith's Stock", meaning they wern't a drop in. Drop in stock can and will cost you a BUNCH of $$ and more than likely a pretty long wait. I just happen to really like the Richard's Micro Fit stocks so I'am a little bias. I've done maybe 10 or 12 over the years so I know what to expect when I order one.

groundhogsniper
    ^ Is it necessary to have a mill to finish the Richard's stocks? Or will sandpaper, chisels and a dremel work? I don't have access to a mill so that is a big deciding factor for me.

Team Savage
    Sandpaper and elbow grease will get the job done.

One of the issues I ran into was that I ordered a right hand thumb hole stock cut for a left hand action. Got the stock, cut for a left hand and left hand action with (get this) the top bolt release on the "left side"?? Must have been looking in the mirror to get that picture. Took most of 2 1/2 months to get it so I wasn't too happy. Rather that get on the phone and rip someone's face off, I sent a note snail mail. In the mean time, someone wanted that stock more than I did so it went down the road.
    Got a reply from Richard's to send it back. Told them that I had sold that stock and I needed another one. More that once they told me to send the stock back. It just didn't sink in that the stock was"already sold" but I did get a replacement in less that two weeks time. They CAN punch one out in less time if the need be.
    Finally got my right hand thumb hole stock, re cut the bolt handle slot and was in business.

groundhogsniper
    So should I be worried about ordering a left hand thumbhole for a right hand action? And do you know if they will make stocks for the bottom bolt release models?

Team Savage
    Bottom bolt release?? That I don't know anything about. Might be best to call them and see what they have to say. Might look over their "action cuts" real good and see if they've got anything that fits your needs. The left hand thumb hole shouldn't be a problem. The right hand action cut along with it could be? Like chewing gum and going thru a revolving door at the same time. Their site has been updated from what it use to be so it could have more details than they use to.
    Seems like the bottom release is just a wider spot on the side of the trigger area? Never had my eyes on one. Someone else might know the details.

groundhogsniper
    Alright, and I'm assuming the factory bottom metal can be used too?

Team Savage
    If the stock is cut for it.

Banned
    Shooting last week it occurred to me that left hand bolt would be sweet bench rest setup.

I had a XCR semi auto, unlike the AR rear charge thing and the AK right charge handle, they put all the controls on the left (safety and mag release are ambidexteroious . Others have gone to charge handle that flips over from one side to the other so Lefites have what they need.

Having shot all three the XCR is the best for a right hander as all your actions are left handled while keeping right hand where it should be.

So now I have visions of a left hand bolt and doing that.

Team Savage
    If you're right handed, shooting the left hand action right handed is a natural. Sure feels strange when you go back to your right handed rigs. Got to pull your right hand off the stock to work the bolt.
    I started off with an ambi stock and the lefty action. Liked the feel of it so I went ahead and got the right hand thumb hole stock.

Basic Member
    I am left handed. My first real gun was a right handed Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge. Learned to shoot doubles with it all the time. Been shooting right handed bolts left handed ever since. About 4 years ago I finally broke down a bought a left handed bolt 270WSM. The first time I shot it from the bench I was completely frustrated. Could not see into the action to load, etc. I hated it! I do plan to have SSS convert some of my right handed bolt guns to left handed bolt throw, but will keep them right ported. Really, I think all right handed shooters should shoot right handed bolts with left sided ports, and lefty's should shout left handed bolts with right ports. It's so much more comfortable and practical.

Basic Member
    Opposite side port is nice when shooting from a bench, but otherwise I cant see any advantage.
    Most of my guns having thumbholes are suitable for both left and right hand use, and some of those
    needed to be done to a r/h stock. Just requires a bigger hole and some rasping on the opposite side.

Basic Member
    I tried to get a left hand thumbhole with a right bolt from Boyd's earlier this year, it was a no go. I just ordered a left hand stock and inletted it for the right bolt and plugged the left slot.

Team Savage
    "I tried to get a left hand thumb hole with a right bolt from Boyd's earlier this year, it was a no go. I just ordered a left hand stock and inletted it for the right bolt and plugged the left slot"

That's what you do to get it the way YOU want it! A little color matching on the bolt cut plug and you're good to go.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post

That's what you do to get it the way YOU want it! A little color matching on the bolt cut plug and you're good to go.
    And its almost hardly noticeable. lol
    I added a cheekrest on the left side of a right hand stock which had one on that side.
    So now there's one on both sides. And that's almost hardly noticeable also.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    There are photos here.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-stock-is-here