Thread: Converting a LA 223 to 338-06

Wink Converting a LA 223 to 338-06

Going to tap into the collective knowledge here. I have a 223 in a 110 LA. Yeah, they made them for a while. Anyone know if it is possible to convert the action to use for a 338-06 build? I know I can change the bolt head. I was wondering what would be involved in switching out for a mag to work with this action. Any guidance, suggestions, sources for parts would be very welcome.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    I'm thinking that the mag opening for your LA .223 is milled for a .223 length mag. If I am correct then you would have to have the mag opening milled to accept a longer mag, or you could just shoot it as a single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I'm thinking that the mag opening for your LA .223 is milled for a .223 length mag. If I am correct then you would have to have the mag opening milled to accept a longer mag, or you could just shoot it as a single shot.
    Yep, this.

It would be easier to mill it out like a centerfeed action, then figure out a way to fix the mag into the stock.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    you'll have to cut or replace the bolt baffle as well to get the throw for the long action cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    you'll have to cut or replace the bolt baffle as well to get the throw for the long action cartridge.
    You can just rotate it, so that the leg is on the other side.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    interesting. was not aware of that.

If it has the guide then that will need to be ground off as well. This is the narrow raised area on the top of the nearside lug in this picture.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have done this exact thing before. Savage standard 110 action in 223 to 338-06. The 223 mag is long action to fit the receiver opening but is blocked out for the shorter length. Get a long action mag box, follower, and spring to replace the 223 box. Getting the mag box's off and on are a pain but can be done. There are instructions and different ways to do it on the Web and this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    If it has the guide then that will need to be ground off as well. This is the narrow raised area on the top of the nearside lug in this picture.
    I forgot about the anti-bind groove. I usually have to grind that off anyway since I'm a lefty.

I forgot about the anti-bind groove. I usually have to grind that off anyway since I'm a lefty.
    Your contributions are extensive. You definitely get a pass on something forgot.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEshooter View Post
    I have done this exact thing before. Savage standard 110 action in 223 to 338-06. The 223 mag is long action to fit the receiver opening but is blocked out for the shorter length. Get a long action mag box, follower, and spring to replace the 223 box. Getting the mag box's off and on are a pain but can be done. There are instructions and different ways to do it on the Web and this site.
    That is incorrect......the .223 mag boxes are the same length as a .308 box. The filler is in the rear of the magazine. A long action magazine uses a longer opening in the receiver.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."