Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
Ok, maybe we can agree to disagree.

I assume you care because you have responded. I also care.

I do think you spun it out to turn it into a choice of tools and then started to change what the post was about and that is the use of an action wrench, what force is being required to remove nuts these days as well as the crush issue on the receiver with that tool. there is no perfect tool and people choose tools based on what suits them, not right or wrong.

I will point out, I grew up where we not only had to make do, my dad was a mechanic and we pretty much had a farm type existence with keeping things working.

So while I am new to the Savage work, I have been working with, around and creating solutions to equipment and machinery problems for something around 55 years. If you want to call that arrogance you are welcome to do so. I am a designated engineer (no letters) for my facility because of that experience as well as willing to stand my ground when I believe I am right (though in this case I believe its a matter of tool preference and not right or wrong)

some of this is obvious practical mechanical sense. some of this is Savage specific and I hope you will note I don't just throw out an opinion in areas that are and I have no experience with.

And no I do not have nor intend to have any experience with a barrel vice. It does not fit what works for me, obviously it does for you and others. If asked I will support the action wrench and why. To me it looks like a some and some boiling down to what suits any given person and how they work as well as how much of it they do and how much bench space they have.
Also, the only reason I suggested the barrel vise was because of the issues you were having with your action wrench. Sometimes you need different tools and tactics to get the job done, depending upon what "problems" you come across. This is particularly true when it comes to removing and installing barrels on Savages. As I said about my own experience, Sharp Shooter Supply, THE "Savage Guru", bar none, recommended I try a barrel vise for the exact same reason some time ago. I also resisted his advice because the action wrench seemed like a better, more sophisticated, more "proper" tool for the job, but I learned that sometimes the barrels were too difficult to remove and/or install without a barrel vise. Once I got one, I discovered I never really needed the action wrench for Savages. I do like them for Remingtons, though.

Furthermore, as my grandmother used to say, "Smart people learn from their mistakes... but REALLY smart people learn from OTHER people's mistakes."

Been there, done that.