Thread: b mag small barrel

dadamark

b mag small barrel

I bought a b mag last week and needless to say I'm very disappointed in the stock or I should say accuracy or both . I have thought about a boyd stock but then what if it is the action or barrel .so I called my dealer and I think they are going to work it out with me so I can trade for a heavy barrel because I don't think I'm going to be happy with it even if I send it back to savage never less the time lost with there customer service .I'm not a patient person .I would like to get some opinions on this I should also aid I own 8 other savage rifles and I'm very happy with all of them [IMG]14615728_10202076258505101_8954848287568448778_o.j pg[/IMG]

Basic Member
    all I can tell you is I have a bMag Skinny barrel and it was not good until I put a Boyds classic stock on it and now it shoots 1-1/4 groups or less
    I have also a stainless HB B-Mag and it is a tack driver :)

they should make a HB in blued to replace the first barrel on them and it would be a better shooter

Basic Member
    I have a skinny barrel BMag also. Once a I put it in a Boyd's stock I was much happier with it.
    Something else that made a big difference was "shimming" the last point of contact of the action/barrel with some bicycle inner tube pieces.
    I can't get it to group better than 1.25" @100yds, BUT, I can consistently hit sub-MOA gongs at 300 and 400yds.
    It could be my rifle or the cartridge that chronically suffers from non-linear convergence?

dadamark
    thanks guys I traded it back to my dealer they used me really well on a heavy barrel .I should have it in a couple days .I also ordered a boyd stock and new glades armory bolt handle .would or did you have it bedded on your guns I wont a tack driver

Basic Member
    I plan on pillar bedding mine once the weather here hits consistent -0 temps and loading those little rounds with gloves becomes less than fun.
    If you do a search on Rimfire Central I recall there being posts about the Glades bolt handle being too big and intrusive?

Basic Member
    the Savage bolt will slightly hit the boyd's stock, I just took mine out and with a large brass punch bent the bolt arm a little and now it clears fine with out hitting when you cycle it, I do not mind the original bolt at all myself

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    the Savage bolt will slightly hit the boyd's stock, I just took mine out and with a large brass punch bent the bolt arm a little and now it clears fine with out hitting when you cycle it, I do not mind the original bolt at all myself
    I didn't have that problem with mine

dadamark
    thanks fellas all great info and feedback

Basic Member
    You're welcome
    Enjoy! It's such a great gun!
    FWIW - I've learned more about wind from shooting the BMag than I have from every other rifle I've ever shot. I has absolutely paid off in competition.

dadamark
    I would upload some pics of my targets and boyd stock all set up but I cant figure out how to load a pic on this site .sorry not a wiz at this computer thing but I love to shoot
    I would love to show of my first group with the gun in its factory form it was an impressive .622 5 shout group at one hundred yards after two shouts to zero it
    I have had an issue with a couple dud rounds in 20 grain Winchester ammo is this common

Basic Member
    Posting pics
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...eman-can-do-it!

I've had a few FTF's. I usually reload them so they'll strike on a different spot on the rim and they fire.

Grandoug
    I bought a B-mag and it sat at my dealers for weeks while I struggled with Boyds and their plant refurb/move /summer vaca/huge order (suspect Savage) and a bad stock from Boyds on the first go'round. Finally got the stock, my gunsmith bedded the stock, I scoped it with the BSA scope designed for the .17 in both .20 and .25 grain bullets. My particular barrel likes the Hornady loads as opposed to the Winchester loads, and it is a tack driver. My range officer watched me put 5 shots in almost the same hole, and he was amazed.

Grandoug
    I have had issues with the Winchester 20 grain loads. My barrel just doesn't do wll with them. It does fine with Horady 20 and 25 grain. My chrono is 3000+ with the Hornady 20, and 2600+ with the 25...

Are all B mag 17's with a "silver" barrel the HB, or are there different models/versions with silver barrels. Is the barrel SS or just the crinkle coat in silver?

Basic Member
    It is a HB stainless, couple different models with different stocks is all

I have a Barska 10-32 x 50 on mine

(Grandoug)
    as far as I know and have Hornady only makes the 17 WSM in 20 gr ammo, Fed American eagle is the same way, only one with a 25 gr bullet is Winchester