Thread: RCBS Primer Seater/Bullet Puller

Basic Member

RCBS Primer Seater/Bullet Puller

Renovating the reloading shop and found two RCBS tools hidden away. Bought all the stuff years ago. One is a primer seating tool for the press and other is bullet puller, no collets.

Been hand priming with Hornady tray, any advantage with RCBS press tool, seems slower?

The collets for the bullet puller are expensive (however don't like the hammer "puller"). If I could find the collets at a good value, would dedicate that press/tool. Loading multiple calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    Renovating the reloading shop and found two RCBS tools hidden away. Bought all the stuff years ago. One is a primer seating tool for the press and other is bullet puller, no collets.

Been hand priming with Hornady tray, any advantage with RCBS press tool, seems slower?

The collets for the bullet puller are expensive (however don't like the hammer "puller"). If I could find the collets at a good value, would dedicate that press/tool. Loading multiple calibers.
    Do your really pull bullets that often?

I've been priming with Lee hand primer forever,don't like the press method. You have to touch each one and just don't get the "feel".
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Ditto on the Old [round] Lee hand primer, just not for 308 cases w/ crimped primers, even after the crimp has been. IMHO,"Hammer" style pullers, at least the FA brand, work on 223 and under size cases, but even then, they don't last very long. I'[m on my third one and when it breaks, ALL 3 will go back to either Midway of FA.
    Depending on what bullets you want to pull, saving 100 bullets would pay for one or two collets. OR you could always just shoot them

Basic Member
    Agree, like to feel the primer seat with the hand tool. Loaded rounds that had a slight blemish in the brass and didn't "feel quite right" when chambering, I pull them aside and extract bullets to be on safe side.

Don't care for the noise of the hammer extractor and live primer/powder/bullet being beaten and powder slung around.

Will be loading volume in several calibers with turret press and can dedicate the single stage for a couple quick change operations.

Basic Member
    I like the ram primer. It gives exactly the same seating depth every time. I don't want to do it by feel. For me, it will lead to errors in feel which will result in inconsistent seating. I have a RCBS hand primer NIB for a few years in case my ram primer disintegrates. I don't mind touching each one. I wash my hands with soap and water each time I sit down to prime.

Used to use Lee hand primer yrs ago. Seeing as how I have 4 different Lee 1000 progressive press,s I use them for almost everything. Ive got one set up to prime all calibers of all my rifles. Simple carrier exchange and Im set. Makes easy work of priming and I never have an issue with a high primers any more nor is my hand sore from pressing them in by hand.
    I have both RCBS hammer and collet puller. Ive found both tools to be useful when ever the need calls for either of them. Collets are a bit $$ but worth it IMO.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Set the Redding T-7 yesterday. Got it without the long primer tube, but it has a short primer arm in the ram.

I do prime on the press with the Dillon for my pistol rounds,but anything that gets loaded on the single stage press gets the Lee. One for 308 case head and one for 223 case head.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    The best bullet puller is a large set of dikes in conjunction with the press. But it does destroy the bullet.
    The gripper type, usually with 3 sets of holes work ok if the ammo hasent been loaded very long.
    If so use the dikes. The collet type can also deform the bullet if tighten down hard is required.
    Years ago when lots of military 06 ammo was available, id use dikes to pull the bullets on the LC match ammo,
    then just reseat a hunting bullet.

Basic Member
    A neat method of pulling bullets that I found on YouTube is using a tubeing flareing tool in conjunction with the press. Put the round in the shell holder, run it up, clamp the pill in the aproperate size hole, and lower the press arm. It may do a little damage to the bullet but I use them later for fouling shots.

Team Savage
    I have pulled a lot of bullets...... see hall of shame...... any how, rcbs works very well. I can re use all the bullets I have pulled except maybe one or two. One reason I have pulled so many, besides the screw ups, is I had some 338 lm loads put together some time back. I have since determined the right load for my rifle and pulled all those, 150 rounds, and reloaded them. Saved my barrel life a bit and now shooting better rounds. I have the collet for each caliber I load. Its just automatic. When I start buying dies for a new caliber, I buy the collet.

Basic Member
    The collets for large calibers break fairly easily. Flaring tool virtually indestructible.