Thread: E.R. Shaw?

swamphonkey

E.R. Shaw?

What do you guys think about the Shaw barrels? I have been thinking I "need" a New barrel on one of my 308s. I like the sporter for the weight But love the heavy barrels for the stability. Can I split the difference and use the mag contour with a 308 cal or is that only for mag cal ? And are the Shaw barrels pretty accurate? I'm not a bench rest shooter but I do like the rifle to hit where I want it. I don't want to dump a bunch of money in the rifle and the Shaw barrels seem like a great deal with everything that comes with it. Do any of you guys run Shaw barrels?

Team Savage
    The Shaw barrels I've owned have all shot well with hand loads. Not to say they are any more accurate than a Savage factory barrel. But they do not seem to foul as much as Savage factory barrels and therefore clean up quicker. The Shaw kit sporter barrels are usually 24" long and have a slightly heavier contour when compare to a 22" Savage sporter barrel. The Shaw.308 barrel kit is not available in a magnum contour.

You might want to become a paid member so that you have access to the "classified" and "want to buy" sections of the forum. A take-off .308 Savage Hog Hunter, 20" heavy contour barrel threaded for a muzzle brake might be the perfect barrel to meet your hunting rifle criteria. Mine shoots very tight groups with a 168 grain AMAX and RL-15 or Varget hand loads.
    Last edited by jpdown; 09-08-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Basic Member
    I have ER Shaw barrels in 260Rem and 6.5Grendle. Both exceed My expectations and My Shooting skill level :-)

Edit: You can however, factory order a 308 in up to Savage Heavy Varmint. I think the wait time right now is about 4 months. Check their web site.

All the Shaw barrels I have had have been good. The last one was exceptional. It was heavy stainless barrel in 6.5x55 SE and was as good as the Criterion or McGowen or Shilen barrels I have had.

Banned
    I didn't want to hear that!

I have a hand full of them and they all shoot extremly well for the price.

Yep, I'm with WBM on this.
    Mine is a stainless Bull in Creed, got it on the super-cheap clearance rack, at the Shack.
    When it got here it had a slight tight-spot near the muzzle when cleaning for the first time, here are some results at 1700. The 6.5 holes are easy to pick-out Vs the 308.

I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I can whack groundhogs over 350 yds on a regular basis with my Shaw 6mm AI. My 308 is no slouch either. Both are varmint weight.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    I got two Shaw barrels in Savage Varmint profile, chambered in .308 Win. One I mounted on a 10 action and the other on an Axis. I posted pics of some of the groups I fired.

Both are good barrels, but are NOT match grade quality. Both shoot at about an inch, sometimes more, sometimes less. The best groups I got out of either was from a "too hot" load which were .56 and .58 of an inch. If "about MOA" is good enough for you, go for it. If 1/4 MOA is what you want, consider spending a bit more on a match grade barrel from a premium barrel maker.

swamphonkey
    Thanks for the input. Going to get one of the kits. Thanks guys.

Basic Member

here are some results at 1700
    Hey DARKKER...Like the Magne-Safe Arrow target....an antique for sure. Saw one for sale at an antique sign site for $50. I'll give you $10 for that one...shipped of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Hey DARKKER...Like the Magne-Safe Arrow target....an antique for sure. Saw one for sale at an antique sign site for $50. I'll give you $10 for that one...shipped of course.
    Found a few of them in an old barn on a farm the In-laws bought a couple years ago. Was a real score, found a bunch of old BAR parts and load notes for a Swift from the 50's
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

schwackerfox67
    Put a 35 whelen Shaw barrel on my savage 116[30-06 original].Loading 200 gr. barnes tsxbt bullets.Shoots under 1" .Love it.

Basic Member
    In mid '15 I had Chris order me a 23" OAL , SS, 12T 223 Savage varmint contour. I loaded 10 rounds w/Benchmark, 52 Berger, virgin Lapua brass. I fired three rounds one each at 25, 50 and 100 to get on paper@ 100, cleaned then fired six, rounds, one fouler marked "CB" and five @100

I haven't shot it since, too many other toys to play with! Mebby next year!
    Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

scuzzy
    my whole family runs shaw barrels. we all shoot around 0.5 moa with tested loads. we all shoot steel tactical as well, and have not noticed any drop off from gun/barrel combos costing much more. my brother has become good acquaintances with a barrel maker for shaw, and seeing the "industry" side of the barrel industry has debunked a lot of bull that is prevalent. i'm sure you can buy better, but I'm also certain you can spend a lot more and get no noticeable improvement.

I'm also certain you can spend a lot more and get no noticeable improvement.
    That's for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    my whole family runs shaw barrels. we all shoot around 0.5 moa with tested loads. we all shoot steel tactical as well, and have not noticed any drop off from gun/barrel combos costing much more. my brother has become good acquaintances with a barrel maker for shaw, and seeing the "industry" side of the barrel industry has debunked a lot of bull that is prevalent. i'm sure you can buy better, but I'm also certain you can spend a lot more and get no noticeable improvement.
    Can you elaborate more on that? Mfg would be interesting but understood if not something they want out there.

What de-bunking specifically?

.5 MOA would be more than good enough for me. I did want to go with solid makers original so there was no question.

I am open to them down the road.

scuzzy
    who makes barrels for who is hush-hush. if people knew, it would be eye opening. where blanks come from, etc. it's not really something companies want broadcasted, as they have agreements with other companies that utilize their products. for example, BRAND-X hunting rifle wants everyone to believe they make their own barrels special, but they in fact just use shaw barrels that are stamped with their own company name.

shaw makes a lot of barrels, and they are used by a lot of different companies. as far as manufacturing processes, only a few companies are unique. a lot of the rest are charging more and selling items that are manufactured the same way.

sorry, not really clarifying anything. the jist is this. shaw makes quality barrels. for a good price.