I bought a 116 stainless, composite stock, used from Cabelas. Looked close to new, sticker still on. I had them put on a VX2, 2-7. Used that for a couple years. This year I buy VX3i 3.5-10, and put it on Remington pump, both 30-06. Sighted in, but decided to put it on the 116. Batteries dead in my bore sighter, I am at camp.

So I set up big sheet of paper. 3 feet low.

When I took the scope off the 116, I noticed what I know believe are metal shims. After shooting so low, I put inside rear scope ring. Turn scope all the up until it runs out of adjustment. Still about 2.5" low at 50 yards.

Rings are Leopold, and base is two piece standard Leopold.

Cabelas never mention anything to me after they mounted it, which ticks me off. I suppose go back to the 2-7, for some reason it worked. But I do have this brand new scope I just bought.

Suggestions? Start adding shims to the base? I though you were supposed to shim base, not inside of rings. But I don't know. Different rings to raise it?

What causes this in a gun? Does savage use different bases? Is this something I should know when putting scopes on them? I have another, that still has package Nikon on it.

Either way, not sure if I will get to shoot again before deer season. Went through 60 30-06s, between 3 guns today. I saved one, just in case I forgot to get more.

I was at camp and did ot have alignment tools when mounting. But I don't think that would make this big of difference on elevation.

Thanks for help.