Thread: savage 1907 nickel with parts marked

Basic Member

savage 1907 nickel with parts marked

Of course, no way to know for sure until a letter comes from Mr. Callahan but here is an early .32 cal with frame, slide and breechblock marked with serial number. First one of these so marked that I've ever seen.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

~[IMG][/IMG

~[IMG][/IMG

Basic Member
    Bailey Brower had a display of his plated pistols at a show and told me about the serial numbers, he took one of his gold plated pistols and showed me the number on the underside of the bolt. His explanation was the the plated pistols had to have mating parts machined slightly under size so with the added plating they would end up have the correct tolerances to fit & function so they were numbered to keep them from getting mixed up. He also said that the numbered parts was a way to tell if the gun were factory plated, from another example of a plated pistol posted here that appears to not always have been the case.

Basic Member
    Sav22 - yes I've always heard of the numbered parts but in the approximately dozen nickel plated 1907s that I have looked at - local pawnshop had 5 of these - this is the first that had the numbers stamped on the breechblock and slide.

And I would LOVE to see any part of Mr. Brower's collection.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by levallois View Post
    And I would LOVE to see any part of Mr. Brower's collection.
    He used to do a display every year at the Ohio Gun Collectors Association display show in May, but has not for the last three years or so. He started to liquidate some of his collection, he donated a couple of his Savage 45's to the NRA Museum and put some of his other guns in auctions. If you have his book, there is a picture of a factory engraved 1903 22 pump in it, he knew I collected the Savage 22's & he brought that rifle to one of the shows for me too see, nice guy and very willing to share his knowledge.

Basic Member
    The nickel pistol shown up above is a Type 1 based on the location of the serial number and would be early production. I have one which is a type l from 1908 and apparently during that timeframe they did indeed serialize the components of the gun before they were plated. I have a Type 2 Mod 4 in .380 from 1914 in nickel and the individual components are not serialized, I have a letter from the Savage historian verifying that my pistol left the factory as a nickel model so that tells me they relaxed the requirement to serialize the components before plating them starting with type 2's.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I own 4 380's, 2 of which are model 1915's, one has components serialized the other does not, go figure. Just Savage being Savage.
    Savage- "never say never".