Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread lub for SS barrels ??

Basic Member

^ Cool ^ ... How many foot pounds does it take to turn a 30/06 chamber into a 30 Gibbs? ;-))

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    NSS doesn't actually build guns,...... take that for what it's worth.
    You asked for the citation and got it.

Someplace I have it that Savage uses 90 ft lbs (and it has to be with whatever "gunk" they put on the threads.

Having taken off 3 now, I can tell you its a hell of a lot tighter that 50 ft lbs. That may be the gunk or it may be the toque.

Basic Member
    I know what 90 to 100 foot pounds is supposed to feel like. It's not the torque.

It's the "GUNK"

Apply a little heat and the nut behaves as 100ft/lbs should.

Well I change barrels often on my switchbarrel. Don't use anything.close to 100 foot lbs. More like.40 and I do use a torque wrench.

I soon plan to Loctite the barrel nut to the barrel. That way I can just spin the barrel off and spin the next one on lining up the index marks and headspace should be consistent.

I will say with anti-seize a little goes a.long way.

Banned
    NSS doesn't actually build guns,...... take that for what it's worth.
    I don't either, I sternly suspect you don't

Unless I see something that does not track, I will accept their data.

No issue with following it so far, pushing 500 rounds down each barrel.

One with the NSS nut and one without.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I know what 90 to 100 foot pounds is supposed to feel like. It's not the torque.

It's the "GUNK"

Apply a little heat and the nut behaves as 100ft/lbs should.
    Agreed, I think it was AGI (?) video that advocated the 90 ft lbs.

That seems out of line.

The one barrel came off with something around 50 ft lbs feel. The other one was stuck and stuck good.

Both had goop, hotter chamber temps may have weakened the goop (or time, 15 years old roughly). It had it but it was not stuck, nice easy removal with the breaker bar the NSS nut tool.

Basic Member
    My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I don't either, I sternly suspect you don't...
    LOL!

You mean from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    LOL!

You mean from scratch?
    Hahahahaha

OK, I will be the one....
    Sharpshooter = Sharp Shooter Supply
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?
    This gun right here is my 6mm Dasher. But on really windy days I switch to a 6x47.
    Does he also have 2 brothers named Leroy? Or maybe the smith does? lol
    But that aside, ive watched as what I perceived to be a pretty good smith spin a barrel on by hand, chamber a case, then test fire the gun.
    Not to say he didn't torque it later, but he sure didn't while I was watching.
    Granted, that was in the old days, and maybe he didn't own a torque wrench.

Just my opinion but it seems to me there is quite a bit of difference between torquing a barrel with a shoulder into a conventional action and tightening a barrel nut on a savage action

I can see a conventional barrel torqued at 100 ft/lbs. Not meant to come off until a gunsmith rebarrels.it. you are also tightening the actual barrel shoulder up against the.face of the reciever.. Not a nut over the barrel that can only pull the threads tight.

Basic Member
    yobuck, I don't know the name of the smith, but he is about 40 minutes NW of Harrisburg, and apparently well known. Must be close to Your neck of the woods?

Apparently there are more than a few "Leroys" out there doing the switch barrel thing in the 1,000yd game?

My BIL has only been at it for about 2 years, and is following the lead of the guys that are competive, but He is already doing well. Not surprising, since he is an inherently good shot.

I only get to hear about this stuff through His efforts to impress Me ;-))

But alas, We are wondering away from the subject of barrel thread lubricants :-((

Basic Member
    yobuck, I don't know the name of the smith, but he is about 40 minutes NW of Harrisburg, and apparently well known. Must be close to Your neck of the woods?

Apparently there are more than a few "Leroys" out there doing the switch barrel thing in the 1,000yd game?

My BIL has only been at it for about 2 years, and is following the lead of the guys that are competive, but He is already doing well. Not surprising, since he is an inherently good shot.

I only get to hear about this stuff through His efforts to impress Me ;-))

But alas, We are wondering away from the subject of barrel thread lubricants :-((
    Just joking, but the 2 similar cartridges did catch my attention. lol
    The location you mentioned would be Mark Kings area, or possibly Kevin Cram. Both very good smiths.
    Tell your BIL to tell the fat old shooter hello for me. One of my old mentors who gave me my first click chart.
    Does your BIL hunt?

Basic Member
    Basically, Ed does not hunt. He may still hunt woodchucks, but probably not so mutch since He is way into this long range stuff. Some years back, He went to Texas to help his other BIL eradicate some non indigenous species from a game ranch. He took an Audad on a dead run at 425yds, witnessed. He also took a 160 score typical white tail, etc.

The name Mark King sounds familiar.

Banned
    Lube or no lube is an important aspect of torque.

I have no disagreement with someone who chooses not to lube or even if they smack the nut wrench with a hammer to set it, their gun they can do what they want.

If they ask I don't agree with that but they certainly can do what they want.

the lube aspect though is a serious component of a recommended torque.

You should not use a torque that has been listed with a specific lube.

Back when I was doing engines we did not use anything willy nilly. If the book called for peanut butter, we used that (and that was an actual product though they did not use that name, its what mechanics called it as it looked like that, toxic as all hell as I recall)

If they called for engine oil on the threads, we used engine oil and not peanut butter.

If they called for anti size, we used anti seize and the type they specified.

I don't think the Savage barrel nut is in that category of head bolt or con rod camp bolts spec for critical.

I do think if you are going to go with the NSS instructions , then you use both the lube specified and the Torque.

I don't like guessing and that was solid information for staring out (and as noted, people have their own methods) the NSS has h worked fine, I will stick with it.

Smacking with a hammer seems to work fine as well but that is not how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    LOL!

You mean from scratch?
    Fred's done that a time or five as well. Rimfires, centerfires, muzzleloaders, a cannon... I bet if you ask real nice he'll even post some pictures of his creations.

Just turned this thread into solid gold.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    :)

I'm sure Fred got a chuckle out of that one.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Crickets....

Basic Member
    Wondered how long it would take......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Wondered how long it would take......
    Hehe. That's the shiznit right there!!!!!

Banned
    Ok guys, saw it and thought I would just let it go.

I was asked for the citation and got what I consider a smart reply back.
    Sharpshooter, President of the US, you name it, that does not sit well.

Maybe one of you all might call Jim and ask him where it came from? No, just more smart stuff. So is the egg on my face or yours?

One thing my dad taught me, if you are right son, don't ever let anyone bull you down. I stood up to a whole construction crew on one occasion, I was right, they were wrong and due to my standing up, they didn't blow up the engine on their brand new dozer. I didn't get a swollen head, I went back to work. I made mistakes before and I have made them since.

So roll on tide, roll on, get it out of your system, maybe we can then go back to helping people.

Well looks.like another Internet thing that no one knows the source.

If you do a search all the.other shooting forums have the same information

Guess it.really can't hurt. I will just keep doing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12