Thread: I have so much to learn!

bbradford71

I have so much to learn!

I love this site but after spending just a little time here it is clear to me that I do not know anything. I learned of glass bedding a few years ago and had it done to the Remington 700 that I used to shoot and it made a big difference. I thought buy buying a savage rifle with a free floating barrel would mean that bedding wasn't needed. I see from many of the post here that people are talking about bedding actions and piler bedding. can someone please explain what those are and if I buy a B&C medalist stock will they be needed?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

dcloco

Re: I have so much to learn!

Yep...bed it.

See the other bedding questions posed on the forum. There is some EXCELLENT pictures posted. (picture IS worth 1000 words!!)

bbradford71

I have learned this much....I will not be doing anything myself, I will have this done by a quality smith. Can someone tell me what piller bedding is and what it does? Is that gthe same thing as bedding the action?

dcloco

Pillar bedding...basically...provides two points of contact for the action to rest on. Used to be THE standard. There is some situations where pillars are still needed, but a normal bedding job is sufficient in 99% of all applications. (IMHO!)

Some pics and info for you....

http://www.scorehi.com/pillar%20installation.htm

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1362&bih=652

bbradford71

Thanks!

So would I be better served having the action glass betted in my new B&C stock or should I buy the piller bedding system from SSS and have the action piller bedded and glass bedded?

jlgwiz

B&C Medalist stock has a aluminum bedding block, does it not? In that case no pillars would be necessary.

dcloco

In my opinion, pillars are not needed if you bed an action to the stock.

bbradford71

Thanks, that is what I needed to know

pphreed

If I understand correctly the reason for pillar bedding is to keep the action screws from compressing the stock and becoming loose wood stocks get wet oil soaked etc and compress. The new synthetic , laminate , fiberglass, graphite etc don't have that problem but people still do it anyway bed that is . I am sure it doesn't hurt IMHO gunsmiths way over charge for bedding jobs to do a satisfactory job is not rocket science . I have been using a steel bed system and I like the way it works Fred

bbradford71

I am just scared I will screw something up if I attempt to do it myself. I saw in another post that someone was talking about skim bedding the recoil lug along with the action and I don't even know what a recoil lug is.

the metal tang that hangs down between the barral and action. it makes contact with the stock, so the screws do not have to keep the action from moving back during recoil. the screws just pull down and the recoil lug holds the action from sliding back in the stock. If there is an air gap between the stock and lug, the action will slide every time the trigger is pulled. bedding fills that space and insures full contact if the surfaces are not entirely parallel with each other it will insure full - even contact. not just one side.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

I love this site but after spending just a little time here it is clear to me that I do not know anything.

Patience Grasshopper, there is much to learn, but many here that are willing to teach.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman