Thread: Magazine swaps? What works with model 11 bottom release

Magazine swaps? What works with model 11 bottom release

Hi all. I am hoping someone will be able to inform me on some Savage magazine info.

I did a web search, and a forum search, for what magazines will fit the model 11VT I bought. Zero hits on web or site, but maybe I am asking the wrong way. So I thought I would ask here directly.

The 11VT is a bottom release 4 round mag like the regular 10/11 that have a detachable mag. But it seems that there are different magazine versions within each model too, or at least the 10 series. But that may be my misunderstanding from my lack of knowledge on Savage nomenclature. I am confused for sure.

Any 1st hand knowledge or directions I could be pointed to? Thanks
    When a state only allows to police to be armed, it is called a police state.

Don't take this to the bank, but I am almost certain the 11VT (dick's 11 series as I understand it) is the axis style mag, so anything that fits the Axis/ Trophy hunter/ 10/11 series should work.

If your looking for aftermarket mag that fits the factory stock I don't believe any exist. If you find one please share with the group!

Sorry for the clear as mud answer!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Team Savage
    Savage makes metal and plastic DBM frame assembly (surround) and bottom magazine caps. There is a SA and LA version of each. If the Dicks VT model came with a metal DBM frame assembly and magazine bottom cap, then consider yourself lucky. However, most dealer exclusive models and entry level Savage models today have plastic trigger guards, plastic DBM frame assembly molded into a synthetic stock and plastic magazine bottom caps. The plastic DBM version with release tab was first introduced on the Savage Axis models. The use of the Axis-style plastic DBM parts has now migrated to other Savage models including the Trophy Hunter and even the Savage LWH models to reduce manufacture's cost/rifle weight.

Basic Member
    My buddy Tom Snyder has my design, and is currently building magazines for the Axis/Edge style bottoms. Give him a look see at www.snydermags.com. He will hook you up!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

I have the 308 VT from Field and Stream and a 308 TH and the same mags fit each one. Both have the plastic bottom release, so I got an extra one from Cabela's #55232, PN 107989.
    Also I have a .223 TH and it has the plastic bottom release and a the replacement is 55230, PN 107991, and yes they do say Axis model.
    Savage TH in .223 & 308, VT .308, BVSS 223
    Philf

Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    My buddy Tom Snyder has my design, and is currently building magazines for the Axis/Edge style bottoms. Give him a look see at www.snydermags.com. He will hook you up!!

DK
    It is very depressing living in Canada and being a firearm enthusiast. All the stuff in the USA and I can't have any of it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post

DK
    The only thing that keeps me from buying one of these is that I can fit a little bit longer COAL in the Axis .223 magazines vs the Snyder mags. Almost ordered one till I thought about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jayman412
    I bought a used Model 111 FXP4 7mm Rem Mag. Serial # G423***, non Accutrigger made about 2003. This was a package deal with sling and Simmons 3-9x40 8 Point scope. It has a 24 inch barrel, a 3 round stagger stack fed, blind magazine This fine shooter has harvested deer 4 out of 5 years, would have been 5 for 5 but the Simmons scope failed. I would like to take this out west and harvest an elk. I will need upgrades and/or modifications like an new mil dot scope and replace the 3 round capacity blind magazine with a 4 round capacity removable magazine, or another 7mm, prior to heading west.

This spring I replaced the scope with a gift I received, a Leapers UTG 3-12x44. To mount the shorter 30mm tube scope, I needed a Weaver Rail, another gift. The problem now, (or OPPORTUNITY to further customize or modify) to insert a round from the top side with the Weaver Rail is difficult. I can see this becoming a dexterity issue as I age. I called Savage today and looked into a new stock and removable magazine. They can add a removable mag to a center stack blind magazine, but I have a stagger stack blind magazine, no parts at Savage to add a removable magazine for the stagger stack design.

I need to add a removable magazine to this fine shooter, and modify or replace or the stock. I could replace the scope and ditch the Weaver Rail but I love the scope, but I still need to add a larger capacity, removable magazine before I go west. Time to make a new Christmas list... and go semi auto?

Has anyone modified this gun to a removable mag and are there after market parts available to modify?
    Should I just drop this off to the gun smith and let him work his wonders???
    Should I sell it and buy a new or used Savage 7mm Rem Mag with the removable magazine?
    Any ideas or insight would be wonderful, all constructive advice welcome, if you can help me move this to a NEW THREAD, I am unable to create a NEW THREAD. WHY?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman412 View Post
    I bought a used Model 111 FXP4 7mm Rem Mag. Serial # G423***, non Accutrigger made about 2003. This was a package deal with sling and Simmons 3-9x40 8 Point scope. It has a 24 inch barrel, a 3 round stagger stack fed, blind magazine This fine shooter has harvested deer 4 out of 5 years, would have been 5 for 5 but the Simmons scope failed. I would like to take this out west and harvest an elk. I will need upgrades and/or modifications like an new mil dot scope and replace the 3 round capacity blind magazine with a 4 round capacity removable magazine, or another 7mm, prior to heading west.

This spring I replaced the scope with a gift I received, a Leapers UTG 3-12x44. To mount the shorter 30mm tube scope, I needed a Weaver Rail, another gift. The problem now, (or OPPORTUNITY to further customize or modify) to insert a round from the top side with the Weaver Rail is difficult. I can see this becoming a dexterity issue as I age. I called Savage today and looked into a new stock and removable magazine. They can add a removable mag to a center stack blind magazine, but I have a stagger stack blind magazine, no parts at Savage to add a removable magazine for the stagger stack design.

I need to add a removable magazine to this fine shooter, and modify or replace or the stock. I could replace the scope and ditch the Weaver Rail but I love the scope, but I still need to add a larger capacity, removable magazine before I go west. Time to make a new Christmas list... and go semi auto?

Has anyone modified this gun to a removable mag and are there after market parts available to modify?
    Should I just drop this off to the gun smith and let him work his wonders???
    Should I sell it and buy a new or used Savage 7mm Rem Mag with the removable magazine?
    Any ideas or insight would be wonderful, all constructive advice welcome, if you can help me move this to a NEW THREAD, I am unable to create a NEW THREAD. WHY?
    Contact CDI

jayman412
    Thanks Drybean. I will look up CDI.