Thread: Savage wants to replace my rifle good deal or not?

Basic Member

Savage wants to replace my rifle good deal or not?

I Have a Savage model 10 FCP in .308 that is and has been out for warranty work off and on for the last 3 years. Will not extract fired cases. I just received a call from Savage Canada and they offered to replace the gun with a new 10/110 FCP HS Precision in .308. My concern is this, it is the new style with the Savage flush mount mag and bottom metal. The one they offer the replacement for has the Accurate Mag and bottom metal.

I have already purchased a few of the Accurate Mags in 10 round and 5 round. So they won't fit the new rifle.

I have read both good things and bad things about the newer rifle. which one should I believe?

Looking at the Savage web site what the HS would replace looks more like a 10 FCP-SR http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR

HS is this one http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPHS

I have been told that the warranty place is waiting on a new Savage Barrel and cannot give a time frame for delivery. hence the offer to replace the whole rifle.

I cannot even tell if Savage still offers the http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR as it shows a 2012 date on their web site.

I didn't give them a answer but put it off and gave them 2 months to see if barrel shows up.

So I guess I am asking is this a good deal or not?

One thing to consider is I already have a match grade barrel on order from Pac-Nor for the original Rifle. Which I won't be stuck with as it can go on one of the other Savage's I own.

I am curious about the opinion's of the many knowledgeable people on Savage Shooters. I await your opinions.

Basic Member
    Tell them to install your original magazine system on the new gun. It should fit with no problems.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

WeldNFool
    They still offer the Savage 10FCP-SR because I just ordered one a week ago. New one(FCP-HS) is a 308, short action, probably 4.40 center to center screw spacing, the old(SR) one is a short action, 308, probably a 4.40 center to center spacing. Swap bottom metal. Tell Savage as soon as I get my rifle they can call me and I'll sell them my barrel back for $300, never used. My Shilen will be here tomorrow. Then they can install the barrel from mine onto yours. ;-)

The HS stock is superior to the synthetic FCP SR. A value of $300 + as opposed to $50.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

WeldNFool
    Just noticed that after reading your reply. The difference in the two rifles is about $600. After seeing that if I was the OP taking anything less than what I paid, unless they were going to give me an FCP-SR and a check for the difference.

The current 24" barrel Savage FCP-SR has a SKU# (Stock Keeping Unit) of 22441.
    This rifle uses proprietary mags not compatible with other systems.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR.

The discontinued version which had a brown cammo pattern had a SKU# of19480
    This rifle used Accurate Mags which are AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System) compatible.

I see you are in Canada and the delays in getting barrels can take over a year.
    Mine took 11 months and didn't shoot any better.
    Mine was replaced but it was a 10TR which is still being produced.

I personally do not find their offer to be acceptable however not having a rifle to shoot for a long time can be particularly frustrating.

Basic Member
    My opinion on the offer is They are offering a rifle which is close to the price I paid for the first one at the time. around $1200 If I remember right. How ever I am not really a fan of the new mag system. I can ask Savage Canada if they could install the Accurate mag system from the old rifle to the new system. and see what they say. The other thing I am thinking about is take the new rifle and offer to buy the old one as is for a reasonable price that way I get the mag system and I have a barrel already coming for it. as I got fed-up with waiting on the warranty people.

But that would leave me with 4 Savages in .308 as I already have a Model10 BAS-T and I picked up a used FCP-SR after I sent the original out for the 3rd time. I really didn't think it would be a quick turn around.

Actually one of the reasons I got the FCP was the BAS-T is a major pain in the arms to carry around heavy as heck, and awkward not something you would really take hunting or varmint shooting but really shoots.

So what ever happens at least one of them would be looking for a new owner.

So I guess come December when I check on the one out for warranty I will pose the two questions and go from there.

Basic Member
    WELDNFOOL I thank you for the offer. I will keep it in mind if things don't really work out.

Basic Member
    Thump_rrr
    Can I ask what was the problem with yours and where did you send it?

Mine shoots better then I can, need more practice. I just had major problems with extraction to be something was wonky with the chamber ( too tight?) not sure.