Thread: threading a barrel.

nobody

threading a barrel.

When I thread barrels I always remove them from the action. At the moment my lathe is down. I use a friend of mines lathe in his shop anytime I want. He is out of town on business at the moment. A friend of mine called me. I told him I couldn't do it till next week. He is in a hurry so I told him another guy just down the road has been doing alot of work for other people.

He called me back and said the guy told him $100 if he doesn't have to remove the action and $150 if he does. He said he doesn't have to remove the action if the barrel is 22 inches or longer.

I will be pulling his barrel tomorrow. The thing is I would never begin to thread a barrel with a action on it. To me it would make the barrel unbalanced spinning in the lathe no matter what speed. Now that is just me guys.

Am I wrong in my thinking and is it OK to leave the action on a barrel when you are spinning it to thread one or crown one? It just goes against the way I was shown how to do it.

Basic Member
    My lgs said the same thing, wouldn't have to pull the barrel if it was long enough.

Basic Member
    My gunsmith specializes in long range rifles mainly. 1000 yard match guns, hunting rifles etc etc. full customs on Remington, surgeon etc actions with bartlein/Krieger etc barrels. Really knows his stuff. I've had him thread several barrels for me. As well as put a Shilen select match on my 338 LM.

He told me he can thread up to a 24" barrel before removing from action. He does top notch work and (as I've tried to show from above paragraph) has lots of experience

nobody
    Ok. Nice to know. I have been doing this for 30 years. I will not thread a muzzle with a action on. This guy wasn't even going to take the trigger off. I mean the entire thing spinning around. $100 to thread a barrel is $ 65 to much off the bat. $150 if he had to take the action off is out of the ball park in my book. I have been doing this for over 30 years. I just can not get over what people are happy to pay for stuff that is beginner level.

There are a lot on here over paying for stuff that a basic beginner smith can do without a lathe, end mill or cnc machine! I won't get into it but a very large site Spencer is killing people selling them over priced boyds stocks. People are happy to buy them because this site pushes them!

I retime actions for savages for $25 bucks a action. They can rebarrel them their selves if they have the gages. I have the gages for everything because I shoot in real matches in real time. I use panda actions, and jewel triggers on my personal custom rifles. I use custom made hard wood stocks as well.

We can laugh and joke here, but every last one of us knows a savage auctioned rifle will never be in the top rankings were it truly matters. Again saddle I have tried it and didn't even place. There is a three lettered company who will tell you he can do it!

No. I tried him and found out I was better than he was. You simply can not do it with any savage action. I know because I shoot form 50 yards rim fire to 2000 yards centerfire. It takes a custom action in every branch of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Ok. Nice to know. I have been doing this for 30 years. I will not thread a muzzle with a action on. This guy wasn't even going to take the trigger off. I mean the entire thing spinning around. $100 to thread a barrel is $ 65 to much off the bat. $150 if he had to take the action off is out of the ball park in my book. I have been doing this for over 30 years. I just can not get over what people are happy to pay for stuff that is beginner level.

There are a lot on here over paying for stuff that a basic beginner smith can do without a lathe, end mill or cnc machine! I won't get into it but a very large site Spencer is killing people selling them over priced boyds stocks. People are happy to buy them because this site pushes them!

I retime actions for savages for $25 bucks a action. They can rebarrel them their selves if they have the gages. I have the gages for everything because I shoot in real matches in real time. I use panda actions, and jewel triggers on my personal custom rifles. I use custom made hard wood stocks as well.

We can laugh and joke here, but every last one of us knows a savage auctioned rifle will never be in the top rankings were it truly matters. Again saddle I have tried it and didn't even place. There is a three lettered company who will tell you he can do it!

No. I tried him and found out I was better than he was. You simply can not do it with any savage action. I know because I shoot form 50 yards rim fire to 2000 yards centerfire. It takes a custom action in every branch of shooting.
    Congratulations, you've just earned yourself another vacation - this time permanent.

For everyone else, I'll take a moment to explain this.

Nobody was banned from the site several years ago for similar behavior. Basically he doesn't like me and he has a clear vendetta against Sharp Shooter Supply. He re-registered here on the site about 6 weeks ago (Sept. 12th), and in that time he's been issued two infractions due to his behavior and breaking clearly defined rules regarding solicitation - the latter earning him a 3-day ban. That's not to mention the livid rant he sent me via PM when he first returned, nor the email he sent me after receiving the 3-day ban. In short, this is essentially his retaliation for said ban and it's pretty clear the whole point of his return to this site has been to be a troll and cause trouble.

As for the content of the above post, I feel somewhat obligated to clarify a few things and fill in a blank or two.

1. The so-called "site sponsor" he refers to is Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS), who is not a sponsor here and hasn't been for 6-7 years now.
    2. He claims SSS is simply reselling Boyds stocks at inflated prices which is 100% false. Fred makes all his stocks in-house on his duplicator and CNC mill. If anyone wants to question that I'm sure Fred would be more than happy to post up a couple pictures of the machines running and making stocks.
    3. In another post elsewhere Nobody noted that SSS is listed as a dealer on Boyd's website. The only reason they are listed as a dealer is because since Rutland Plywood burned down a few years ago Fred has been buying laminate blanks from them, and the only reason he's buying from them is because they're the cheapest domestic source for laminate blanks.
    4. He claims I (the site) push SSS's products. I happily invite anyone to go through my post history to see that clearly isn't true. If/when someone is looking for a product or service they offer I will mention SSS as an option, but I will often also list several other options if/when they are available.

As to the rest of his rabid ramblings, I'm not going to comment on them as there is no point to. The fact that he's belittling Savage's on a Savage specific website is proof enough that he was just here to troll and cause trouble. Rest assured he won't be doing it here anymore.