Thread: 458 Socom AICS mags

sigfla

458 Socom AICS mags

Has anyone built a bolt 458 Socom and used the AICS magazines? I want to build a lefty 458 Socom but my only option for magazine feed is to spend the $$ and buy a Remmy action and use AR magazines (Best option I think) or Use a Savage and have CDI put AICS bottom metal on it and hope the AICS magazines work with 458. I prefer to use the Savage b/c I have 2 actions I can use for the build and its an easy swap. The only hiccup is the feeding. Any info out there? I have tried other forums dedicated to the 458 but they are not open to registration right now. Hoping someone else has done it and it worked. I know a few guys are using stock centerfeed guns but haven't seen any Detachable mag fed ones.

ICPS_Joe
    Hey man, new to the forum here but have been dealing with the SoCom quite a while. I've never personally been interested in building myself a .458 bolt gun, only AR platforms. However I have seen and shot a couple and one in particular was a Savage 10 conversion. The customer had a company called TROMIX do the work and it ended up being well over 2 grand for the total build, but the end product was a sweet shooter I must admit. Anyway, I would give them a call and see if they can guide you in the right direction with your build as they've done this type of thing before. Sometimes calling specialty armorers is overlooked but can often be a great wealth of information. When I first started building ARs for myself I spent a couple hours speaking with a guy from Daniel Defense and another hour or so with a guy from Knights Armament and received a wealth of knowledge. Good luck, and show up some pics of that beast when it gets underway. That SoCom is a sledgehammer of a round; I load a 570gr for it that is a total wrecking ball.

sigfla
    Thanks. Have a message out to Tromix. The 458 forums mentions Tros a lot. I used to be very familiar with them back in my C3 days. Still use one of their adapters on a repurposed M11 can. All it should take is the usual barrel swap to a Socom. Righties can use a Mossberg .308 and it's done with AR mags. I may just end up rebarreling a Marlin 1895 and using 45-70. It's never easy shooting lefty, lol. Either way all I want is an quiet accurate hammer of a repeater that can stabilize the big 450-550 grain subsonics. My Encore 45-70 barrel will be a 14 twist when it gets here but having 3 more quiet rounds would be nice and different.