Thread: Aics mag

Team Savage

Aics mag

I have 4 of these mags and a couple of them simply will not hold 10 rounds. 9 go in pretty tight and when I try and put the 10th round in it goes like half like the spring is all the way compressed. One of them is a year old and gets used weekly. It feels like it bottoms out solidly and if I force the last one Im afraid it will get stuck. I guess if it does I could just pop the bottom plate off and drop out the spring. When these mags were brand new they had some sporadic feed issues so I have already stretched the feed lips a small amount so I probably cant do much more there.

My question is has anyone else run into this and what was your solution. I dont recall where I got them from so I cant return them.

Basic Member
    Actual AI mags for another brand of "AICS" mags? Never had those issues with actual AI mags but have with Alpha AICS mags.

Team Savage
    Im pretty sure they are the real deal. But I will look again when I get home tonight.

Basic Member
    Pop the bottom plate off and adjust the spring tension. You can do this by bending the bottom fold slightly and if you need more you can bend the second fold some as well. I have two of these mags that I added mag extensions to and I can load 13-14rds in them, but usually stick around 12. The spring still needed a little adjustment even with the new bottom plates.

I use accurate 10 rounders (metal Ruger scout mags) and they hold ten rounds.
    So do the magpul AC's

Magpul AICS mags all the way.... I have 4 of them that all hold 10rnds, function perfectly, don't scratch the heck out of my brass, not to mention they're about half the price of AI mags....

Basic Member
    The Magpul mags look like a good less expensive option but I haven't tried them yet. Haven't needed to. I still have AI mags from 2004 when I went to a DBM for matches. They still run great.

Team Savage
    Got home and got busy building a barricade. One is accurate mag and one is AI. May try the spring adjustment.

Team Savage
    And I tried to use p mags at least in my rifle and it simply wouldnt pick up the second round. The top round of a full mag would feed fine but the second round coming from the other side would be a hard stop. I tried it several times and a feed issue that bad is a NO GO. I am not even going to take a chance that I run into that kind of think happening in a match. Ive watch painfully while other guys have feed issues all day long eating up loads of time. I figure that is one thing I can eliminate right from the start. Heck I saw one kid, and they are all starting to become kids, who had feed issues at both matches. You would have thought he would have fixed that.

Now I also watched a lot of actions that seem to get caught in an off center torque. T's action does that a little but mine is smooth as glass and I can work it as fast as I want. I dont know if that kind of thing will eventually break in or what.

Basic Member
    That is why I have my mags numbered so in case I feel like I am having an issue with one it goes in the pack and not used anymore at the match until I look into the issue. I got one that the bottom plate is a little loose so I won't use it on any stage that I have to set it on something. Most of the time it's just dirt/mud from the match causing any issue. Clean it off and they run again but knowing exactly which one it is helps.

Team Savage
    Well I got 10 in the two that were giving a lot of problems. One goes in stiff but ok. The other one is so tight it scratches the brass on the feed lips and looks like it could pop out at any moment. I think we will just take one out of Robs book and just mark that one and use it as the back up mag.

Basic Member
    I've also polished the feed lips on mine and specifically for my CRF action I cut them back about 1/4" in order to pick the round up sooner.

Roach68
    Maybe I missed what caliber you are shooting but the older AI branded polymer mags in .223 are junk. The lips spread with use and after awhile the rounds start to point skyward.