I recently purchased a Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage, and, looking on the internet, I found information giving me a manufacture date of 1949, from the serial #5105XX. So this rifle is a bit younger than I am. What's got me confused is the cloverleaf stamped on the lever boss, where I am given to understand is usually stamped with a alphabet letter.
A bit of research online has so far found me a couple other individuals asking about a cloverleaf stamping. Those were on the website of Gun Values Board. There, questions, but no answers did I see... So, what's with the cloverleaf? Anybody? Maybe it just means good luck? I've shot a few rounds through it and found the open sights were way, way off (point of impact at 100 yards is way, way too high) but as I've played with the sights I've become optimistic to think I've gotten a real winner for accuracy. Anyway I decided to order a set of Skinner dovetail-mounted peep sight and Patridge style front sight to correct that problem. I've read good things about them- and they look right.
But that three-leafed cloverleaf? Much appreciation for any help on this subject....