Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 260 Remington

Basic Member

260 Remington

Been seriously thinking about a 260 Remington to replace my 308. Yesterday I went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Las Cruses NM and there was only one box of 260 on the shelf. Today the only store / gun store that had any 260 ammo on the shelf was Gouger Mountain and they only had 3 boxes (same brand and bullet weight).

Maybe 260 Remington is not that popular here in the southwest? Anyone else having problems finding 260 Remington ammo? It seems to as scarce as hen's teeth, 250 Savage, and 257 Roberts ammo.

Would hate to spend the money on a set up and 5-10 years later components (brass) is no longer available.

Sounds like somebody needs to get into reloading. It is looking like you won't be able to find ammo for anything in 4 or 5 years.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Well Ill be........Las Cruses NM you say?.... Im from El Paso Tx.
    Welcome to Savage Shooters.
    As far as 260 ammo?........yep, its hard to find.
    I purchased 300 once fired 308 necked down to 260 LC brass from a gent out of Arizona and there doing just fine. After fireforming/annealing/neck turning etc there doing just fine.
    I was going to neck down my 308 but at the price the gent sold his necked down LC brass for I decided not to do it myself.
    I did see some 260 at Dicks but that was some time back and it was a bit pricey.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Its not what I would consider cheap but... http://ammoseek.com/ammo/260-remington

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

schnyd112
    6.5 creedmore is hot right now. Stores are stocking it instead of .260 rem because it is flying off the shelves. Hornady has done a great job marketing their proprietary cartridge.

The benefit of course is that .260 is easily formed from .243 (1 step) 7-08 (1 step) and .308 (2 steps) so brass will never disappear. Also, .260 will outperform the 6.5 creed if you take your time and tune your reloads to the rifle. Some say this is debatable, I can't argue as I haven't played with the creedmore but I can say I run a .260 with 142 smk's at 2850 all day with high single digit es and very consistent long range accuracy.

Or you can decide to jump on the bandwagon and just buy a creed. There is nothing wrong with that, lapua is going to start making brass, Hornady makes match grade factory ammo for it and it is pretty much designed for those who do not handload.

I will tell you right now that I wouldn't trade my .260 for anything but a 7saum.
    Last edited by schnyd112; 10-15-2016 at 02:56 AM.

LongRange
    if your primarily going to be shooting factory ammo go with a 6.5mm creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post

1) The benefit of course is that .260 is easily formed from .243 (1 step) 7-08 (1 step) and .308 (2 steps) so brass will never disappear.
    2) Also, .260 will outperform the 6.5 creed if you take your time and tune your reloads to the rifle. Some say this is debatable, I can't argue as I haven't played with the creedmore but I can say I run a .260 with 142 smk's at 2850 all day with high single digit es and very consistent long range accuracy.
    1) Right, and you can do the same to make Creed brass. If you count trimming, I've been making Creed brass from my 308 pile in only 2 steps for years.

2) Let's not lie to the guy here. You can call it "tuning" if it makes you happy, but the fact of the matter is that your load is over-pressure. Book data, any book data, shows the two cartridges as the same or within 50fps with those bullets. So if you are going to over-load one case, you need to equally over-load the other before you compare them.

The difference between the two cartridges, is in terms of availability. Remington has shown over & over that when it comes to cartridges, they can screw-up a wet dream. The 260 being subject to their crap. Ammo is never typically widely available, it is never cheap, it doesn't have a good selection of bullets/purpose, and factory chambered rifles have cover and gone over the years, but aren't commonly found. Reload, and all of this is mute.
    The Creedmoor ammo situation is much better, and getting GOOD match ammo from the factory, is cheaper than almost any cartridge. Most rifle companies chamber for it, in multiple lines(cheap seats and expensive rifle lines).

Neither is wrong, neither is bettererer than the other. Choose the one that fits your notions.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

260 Remington

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    I have to agree with others here: Remington has really screwed up when it comes to the 260! I've shot several 260's, & I really like the cartridge. But, go to the store to buy factory ammo, & you'll be disappointed, for sure! Anyone wanting to enjoy the 260, & you need to handled your own ammo. I've purchased some of the 'spendy', Lapua brass, & it works great, but, I've also formed 260 out of Winchester 7-08 brass, & it works just fine. Too bad one of the factory ammo companies doesn't step-up, & make both hunting type, & match ammo for the number of people shooting the 260!!! Until then, I'm afraid the best way to enjoy the 260 is to; "Load Your Own"! Good Luck, Idaho-45

LongRange

schnyd112
    1) it wasn't about forming creed brass it was about him being worried he wouldn't be able to find .260 brass in ten years.

2) pressure pressure pressure. Am I over 60k psi? Probably. Slightly. Am I sheering lugs and damaging the action? Not by a long shot. Simple fact is .260 has more case capacity than the Creedmore.

260 Remington

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Team Savage
    Hi, I also found this site that advertises for lots of different types of calibers.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/260rem/

Hope this helps.. HalfTrack

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess if all else fails and the 260 (brass) goes the way of the 250 Savage or 257 Roberts I can learn to size 308/243 brass.

I've reloaded for pistol for about 17 years on a Dillion XL650, but have never reloaded rifle cartridges. I bought a Hornady Lock n Load classic single stage press as well as all the ancillary items to begin reloading rifle rounds, still have one more order of doo-dads on the way before I can start.

eddiesindian, I'm in El Paso as well - on the east side in the Tierras by the hospital. Might have to link up sometime.

XL105, could not agree more with that philosophy, stock up, stock up, stock up.

I've got some time to figure this out and decide between the 6.5 Creed (just strikes me more as a gamer's round) and the 260 Rem as I'm looking to start playing with the 243 Win round next as soon as I re-barrel my Savage 308.

Roger that. I usually shoot at Ft Bliss but will at times head out to Martin Canyon which is far east Montana south on gas line road.
    Imo you can find all the components for 260 including brass. I made it a point to stock up this year. Main reason I went 260 was available brass.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LOL, Okay I'm in rare form tonight so take this truth with a grain of salt
    Unless you just want to be a weirdo with something different, Will it do anything better than a .270 Winchester???
    I know but the whole short action VS long action thing really aint an issue unless were talking about the distinct advantages of the long action.
    Just some food for thought. .270 is everywhere and is a gift to hunters from the heavens. A 130GR pill at 3200+FPS is magic I say and everybody needs at least 1.

If you don't hand load stay with the mainstream cartridges. Seriously. Even if you do hand load it's still a pretty good idea.

I got myself a pretty good lesson years ago when I bought a 7-08 to add to the stable.
    I looked at the cartridges (7-08 and .308) and couldn't hardly tell em apart. I shot it side by side with a couple of my .308s and couldn't tell em apart. Not in recoil, not in noise, not in accuracy, not in range, not in knockdown or killing power. Not out to 500-600 yards anyway
    I went to buy ammo and THEN I had no trouble at all telling them apart. The 7-08 was $10 a box more for the exact same brand and bullet style at the local Wallys and that was when and if I got lucky and could find it. It didn't take long to get rid of the 7-08 and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Oh well, maybe some think these comments are way outside the topic at hand but I feel they are relevant to the situation.
    Good luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Unless you just want to be a weirdo with something different, Will it do anything better than a .270 Winchester???

Not really.
    Last edited by wbm; 10-18-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Basic Member
    I have a Savage mdl 16 in 260 and really like the caliber. The reason I bought it was after having shoulder surgery I can't take much recoil and my 260 is light recoiling. The 270 is a fine cartridge too but all of them I've shot had almost much recoil as my 30-06. Ammo availability was not an issue for me as I load my own. As mentioned components to load the 260 are readily availability and .264/6.5 bullet selection is fantastic.

Basic Member
    eddiesindian, I shoot at Bliss as well as I have a membership there (retired Army). I've never shot at Martin Canyon, actually don't even know where it is. Guess I'll keep checking the distributors that I have bookmarked and try and catch them when they have some in stock.

justinp61, same issue with me - two complete shoulder reconstructions and neck surgery that causes nerve pain with every recoil of my 308. Not fun.

260 is well known a a reloaders cartridge.
    Bullet powder and primers are easy.
    Lapua brass is often available.
    I neck up Winchester 243 brass for my 260.

I find it an easy cartridge to load.

Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    1) it wasn't about forming creed brass it was about him being worried he wouldn't be able to find .260 brass in ten years.

2) pressure pressure pressure. Am I over 60k psi? Probably. Slightly. Am I sheering lugs and damaging the action? Not by a long shot. Simple fact is .260 has more case capacity than the Creedmore.
    1) yes it was, as was already replied to.
    2) Not "probably", not "slightly". You are well more than "slightly" over 60,000 psi. 100 fps over SAAMI MAP is going to come at a price of 6-10,000 psi. And so back to the point, equal over pressure before claiming anything. 260 has more capacity, but isn't efficient enough to do anything with it at normal pressures.

So again, if they start out the same; then over-load then the same. There are plenty of people running the Creedmoor that hard as well, isn't difficult if not shearing lugs is your only requirement...

I've posted enough pressure data, and specifically around this cartridge to show that several times.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I don't see Nosler, Norma, or Lapua not making 260 brass, so I know I'll always be able to get 260 brass. I can also neck up or neck down any 308 family to get brass for 260, so components, I'm not really concerned about. The biggest advantage for the 6.5creed is you can feed the cartridges easier than a 260. the 6.5 creed has a shorter COAL than a 260. It's not to say you can't feed a 260 out of an AICS mag (I run my 260 out of an Alpha Type II magazine), but you will have to seat bullets more in the case than a 6.5 creed. You will have to give up case capacity for the 260 if you want to run an AICS setup. I'm running 140gr berger hybrid.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    eddiesindian, I shoot at Bliss as well as I have a membership there (retired Army). I've never shot at Martin Canyon, actually don't even know where it is. Guess I'll keep checking the distributors that I have bookmarked and try and catch them when they have some in stock.

justinp61, same issue with me - two complete shoulder reconstructions and neck surgery that causes nerve pain with every recoil of my 308. Not fun.
    Multiple shoulder surgeries you say? Sounds like a job for H4895 some 125gr Nosler ballistic tips and a hand loading kit.
    Then you can just shoot the .308 and adjust the recoil and velocity to what you can stand.
    Just based on trying multiple calibers that are relatively close together and also working up several reduced loads over the years, I really don"t think you're gonna "feel" a lot less recoil with the 260 in a standard factory loading than you would the .308 in a factory loading. Just an opinion
    More than 1 way to skin a cat.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

LongRange
    There is more than one way to skin a cat but the ballistically challenged 308 would be my last choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    "The biggest advantage for the 6.5creed is you can feed the cartridges easier than a 260. the 6.5 creed has a shorter COAL than a 260."
    The .260 has the same COAL as the 308, why would it be harder to feed? I've actually heard that the 6.5 creed has had some feed issues from magazines due to the shoulder angle, any truth to this psharon97? As far as magazines go I'm planning to stick to the factory Savage mags and may try the Dark Eagle mags at some point.

big honking jeep, H4895 is the powder that I am looking at as all my research indicates that I can use that powder for 223, 22-250, 243, and 260. I've done the same reloading my pistol cartridges on a Dillion XL 650 with Win 231 - 380, 9mm, 38 spc, 357 mag, 45acp, and 45 colt. One and done. I bought a pound of H4895 to get me started and hopefully I will get some good results. H4895 will also allow for reduced loads as you say, and I am thinking about a Savage 243 for my 9 year old daughter for x-mas to get her started with centerfire cartridges.

LongRange, I agree with your statement regarding the 308. I was really surprised that the 243 and 260 out perform the 308 at distance. Guess 22 years in the Army game me a 'rose colored tint' to my perception regarding the 308. Live and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast