Thread: Choate Tactical LOP question

Choate Tactical LOP question

Can anyone tell me the minumum Length of pull acheivable with the spacer system on the Choate Tactical??

it looks like a good option for restocking my wife's 12FCV. But compared to me at least she needs a noticably shorter length and I'd rather not fork over the cash (it's almost 2x the cost of the other option i'm looking at) just to have to send it back if it turns out to still be too long with all the spacers out.

Also if anyone knows how to measure the shooter get a legit hard number(s) as to what LOP (or range thereof) will be likely to give a good fit to a given person, I'd very much appreicate the info. the old standby method of "put the butt in the crook of your elbow and see if you can reach the trigger" isn't being all that fruitful at the moment, since i don't know the actual LOP of the stocks on the rifles we have that DO seem to fit her.

thank you in advance for any and all info you care to share.

Asking the manufacturer directly would probably be your best bet.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Just measured mine 12.25" after I removed the spacer and installed just the butt plate... you could reduce that with a good saw, lots of meat in that stock...could probably take off another inch or so...I'm 5'6" and it fits fine...

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    Just measured mine 12.25" after I removed the spacer and installed just the butt plate... you could reduce that with a good saw, lots of meat in that stock...could probably take off another inch or so...I'm 5'6" and it fits fine...

Hope that helps.
    yes that helps.

Unfortunately, as sometimes happens when trying to find an equipment solution for someone other than one's self... SWMBO doesn't like it from an aesthetic standpoint. Says what i'll term "Modern target/tactical stocks" with a squared off profile behind the grip, such as the Choate Tactical make the gun "look like a shovel instead of a rifle". so back to the drawing board as they say.

As best we can figure she needs a LOP of somewhere between 12" and 13", with a strong bias toward splitting the difference and calling it 12-1/2". and it isn't all a function of pure measurement, of say the crook of the elbow to tip of the trigger finger. Both of us actually have the same measurement there. In her case she needs the shorter length due to issues with range of motion in her shoulder and those related to having shoulder level natural equipment that I lack

as for what she wants that would be something akin to the older generation of target stocks, Or frankly something with the same general profile as the factory stock, just with the shorter LOP (and i'd like her to try something with a more vertical grip)
    so now i'm thinking that for now i'll trim the socket off the end of the factory stock and buy an appropriate sized grind to fit 1/2" Pachmayr pad. And then buy a Richard's stock in one of the following profiles.

RMF "Marksman"
    or the "Prone"

Probably the "Prone" since it looks like she also needs a higher cheekpiece

As i noted in another thread sometime back i've already worked with/on a RMF stock so i know what to expect and do not fear the level of work it wil take.
    Last edited by Detritus; 02-24-2013 at 04:52 AM.