Thread: First Savage 99

Basic Member

First Savage 99

Traded for a pre-mil Savage 99F 308 today. K LBC -1959. Overall it's definitely seen use as there's a descent amount of surface wear, only a little bit of pitting at the end of the barrel, and the wood needs a refinish. The bore is shiny with sharp rifling and the mechanics feel solid.

Traded a 1943 commercial Mauser HSc in 7.65 for it.

Can Savages still be lettered? I've got a 110L in 243 from 1958-1959 and another 110 in 30-06 from'63. It'd be interesting to see when the 110L and 99 shipped exactly.

Basic Member
    Get some Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner for use on rust. it will take off rust, without hurting the bluing. Than use Brownells Oxpho-blue for touch up re-bluing. Those two products can really do a great touch-up for worn bluing.

http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1072.aspx

Nice rifle.

Lettering rifles made in the 50's and 60's is not really worth it, pretty much all you will receive is a shipping date and order number.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    That looks like a Chore Boy pot scrubber. 0000 steel wool and oil will also take off rust and not damage the blue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    That looks like a Chore Boy pot scrubber. 0000 steel wool and oil will also take off rust and not damage the blue.
    It's better than Chore boy since its get an edge to it, and it's a proprietary material. I knew a guy who worked in a gun shop, and he was the one who told me it's more effective. he was tasked with wiping down all the firearms, and removing any surface rust.

Basic Member
    I'll have to check that stuff out. Ya always learn something new!!

Basic Member
    Also great for de-leading revolvers.