Thread: I just got back from the range with the new 220F SS.

Basic Member

I just got back from the range with the new 220F SS.

I shot several groups of store bought slugs. I am really glad I took the lead-sled. At 66 y/o I believe that the 50 slugs I shot off the bench would have left me hurting. With the sled, I just sorta ran out of ammo.

Notable stuff about the Savage 220. I had 3 different commercial slugs (sabot type) that shot under 1.75" groups 5 shot groups at 100. The Win 3" Dual metal, the 2 3/4" Fed Trophy Copper, and the Hornady 2 3/4" SST. Of these, the Trophy Copper was the best group in my gun. A true 1.3" center to center 5 shot group in a very pretty cluster.

Surprising was the Rem true ball. I used a box to zero the scope. At 25yds, it put 3 Rem "tru-ball" slugs in the almost the same hole. I didn't try them at 50 or 100. These are the cheapest store bought slugs I could find. They will do fine for a 25 yare load if needed.

I couldn't find any of the Rem Accu-points (the factory recommended load). If they shoot better than the Trophy Copper, this will be really astounding.

Observation: Using the Federal Trophy Copper, I have a slug gun that is grouping just over an MOA center to center at 100yds. This is certainly hunting rifle accuracy in my book. This Savage is a real game changer. I hunt on Quantico MCB every season. it is Shotgun and muzzle loader only. Up till now, I have always used the muzzle stuffer. That will change this season.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

rch

The Remington slugs were the best shooters in my 220F the 2-3/4" were actually better than the 3". I also shot up a bunch of the elcheapo rems and wins and they did pretty good for what they were.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    EFBell, After securing both the 3" and 2 3/4" Accu-Tips, I came back with the same thing you did. The Remington Accu-tip in 2 3/4" is the most accurate slug I have tried in my gun. Shooting from a lead sled with 25LBs of weight, I was able to consistently shoot moa center to center at 100 yards. The next best remains the Federal Trophy Copper. The difference is small, but, it is clear.

thanks for your answer. rch