First of all I did check for stickies at the top of the page for newbs like me and I havent found a specific thread for newbies to read. If there is one please send me a link.

I have been out of the gun game for a few years, and recently but a t/c dimension in .243 lh and, was also planning on buying the .300wm bolt, barrel, and mags. So I went a head and had one ordered thinking the was going to be the best thing ever. Well I should have done my research better. It wont stabilize as heavy of projectiles as i would have liked, and it looks like they have quit producing any new barrels and bolts so converting it to 300wm isn't a option

I have never built any firearm, but I have disassembled everyone I have had and reassembled. I never realized how much of a following there was for customizing savage bolt guns until yesterday either.

I want a .243 for long range bench shooting, I reload, and want it to stabilize heavy Berger vlds. if possible I would also like it to take a barrel for Magnum cartridges like the .300wm. I want to use after market higher capacity mags, and will put on a after market stock.

My question is what length of action/ models of savage rifles should I be looking at to accomplish having a rifle that will shoot magnum rounds but will also shoot short action/ .243 rounds and will be able to use magazine's?