Thread: Solid Frame Savage 99 .22 HP

Solid Frame Savage 99 .22 HP

Did Savage make any solid frame 99s in .22 HP? I cannot find any online, but that doesn't mean that I did miss anything. If they did make them how common are they? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    They did, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. You can get a provenance letter from the former savage historian to check it's autheticty.
    Jeff518

If I am dead set on getting a reasonably accurate (1-2 MOA) 99 in .22 HP am I better off just trying out a take down and attempting to fix it if need be or are the solid frame ones wildly expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Out of the handful of 99's I have, I can not say the solid frames are anymore accurate than my takedowns. All of them including the takedowns are plenty accurate enough for hunting. I do not have a 22 highpowers so I can't say for certain on their accuracy level. With that said, if you can find any high-power I wouldn't hesitate grabbing it in either takedown or solid

Basic Member
    My opinion on 22HP accuracy is that the bore condition is the biggest factor. Takedowns are more common and less expensive by an exponential factor. They are all very limited on which projectile will work in them, then it is a hard cartridge to tune in reloading. plan on spending lots of time at the bench and on the range... after you finally find one with a good bore, and find enough brass to play with.

That said, if you know of a solid frame 22HP for sale, and know it's an all-correct original, buy it! It will always retain it's value as a collectible 99.
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    I have three 99 takedowns in .25-35, .303, and .30-30. All shoot well with the proper loads. I had thought about getting a .22HP but after doing some research I found that it probably one of the most difficult rounds to reload for. Just finding brass and proper sized bullets can be challenging. That being said, I enjoy the "quest" and the challenge of transforming and resurrecting a closet queen back to it's original glory. I don't expect tight groups with these old timers, but enjoy them for what they are! A classic piece of American firearms history and craftsmanship!

Basic Member
    When I tried a takedown 22 HP I found accuracy to be fine, as expected. Buffalo Arms made some great bullets in the .228 diameter and I formed my own brass. I did eventually tire of the exercise and sold off everything HP. If you want a solid frame 22HP, you'll have to build one as I doubt you'll ever find a factory solid frame gun.