Thread: Savage 99 Pre-purchase Wondering

Basic Member

Savage 99 Pre-purchase Wondering

Hello to all on the Savage Shooters forum from Iowa. Just joined, first post, so I'm a newbie. Have been reading the forum for some time, but have kept saying all the time I'd join later, so today is the day. Good forum, good information. I'm a long time shooter, hunter, and Savage fan. I have a question in regards to a possible Savage 99 purchase. I'm looking at a 99 in 250/3000 that according to the serial number was made in 1953. Really good shape, both the bluing, stock, bore, etc. It has the entire pistol grip area of the stock covered in fine checkering and the forearm is of the Schnabel style with the large diamond shaped checkering covering the bottom and sides. I've been a 99 fan since a teen in the 60's when I used to droll over the pictures in magazines such as Outdoor Life showing the Indian holding a 99. I've read some about them over the years, but have never gone into a real through read on all the model variations until recently and never knew of all the variations covering its production.

I assume that the 99 I'm looking at from the year of production (1953) is a EG model, can't be an R since it doesn't have the rounded forearm. The owner said he couldn't see any model designation in the lever boss area and to many miles separate the owner and I for me to view it personally. That leads to another question. Both the lever and receiver are finished in color case hardening, instead of the normal 99 finish of blued receiver and case hardened finished lever. Did Savage ever offer or make a run of 99's with both the receiver and lever color cased hardened or did some previous owner possibly have the receiver case hardened? The current owner advised he bought the 99 and some others in an estate sale and has no knowledge any work done on it. If the receiver was refinished, I wonder if the Model designation was buffed out? Both the stock and barrel are original, not refinished. Have been reading as much as I can get ahold of to get informed on 99 models and to see if any answers to my questions can be found. Haven't found any yet. What would be a average dollar value. If the gun has had any rework on it, I'm concerned and wondering how it would affect the value in the event I'd ever resell it. If any one has any info on this I'd be thankful. Thank you in advance. In case any are wondering, my user name 'Savage 94C' was the first Savage gun I ever owned, a Savage 'Stevens' 94C single shot shotgun in 16 gauge. Downed many a pheasant and rabbit back in the 60's as a teen with that shotgun, still have it.

Basic Member
    First welcome. Sure sounds like a 99EG; the only model with a schnabel-tip forearm in that time frame. Can't give a definitive answer on the case-hardened receiver - I've never heard of, nor seen a case-hardened receiver on an EG. Are you sure the checkering on the forearm covers the entire bottom? ... they didn't come that way; there was about a gap between the points on the bottom like the pic below. EG 250-3000 prices ... wide variation. $500 low end (non-factory additions or condition issues); seen a couple really nice original ones (98-99%) go for about $1200.
    Not drilled/tapped, sling studs or recoil pad, right ... that would not be original?

Basic Member
    No, the checkering doesn't cover the entire bottom of the forearm. It's like in the picture posted in your post. Steel 'shotgun' type butt plate, receiver not drilled/tapped for scope or any other receiver sight, there is a sling stud on forearm. No sling stud on butt stock. I wonder if previous owner may have had a leather buttstock cover on the rifle to attach to the sling? Still in wonder about the case hardened receiver. Read on one on-line report on 99's that some of them were special factory modified for sales promotions to dealers, can't recall or find where I read that, have read so much about the 99 in the last week. Recalled the owner and was advised that the wood and overall condition is above specs for a gun of its age, some minor glitch's on the stock, to be expected. Couldn't find any model designation on the lever boss or any other area of the gun. Seems after having read a lot about the 99, they are like a lot of other firearms I've investigated reading about before buying, about the time you think you've figured it out, ya get tossed a curve ball that disrupts everything you've read on them. German Mauser K-98's come to mind. Observed from one of the long time posters on this forum, he has on his postings "Savage-never say never". Could explain the receiver, maybe.

Basic Member
    Have never seen a 1950's factory done cc receiver. Not saying they don't exist, but would necessarily be rare or special order. I doubt it's factory myself, but would like to have one just because.

Basic Member
    I know this thread is pushin' two years old, but I guess the information is still in effect. History doesn't change much. I never got back to this info and question I originally posted as I didn't buy the original 99 I inquired about, got busy with family, house restoration, and lost my PW information. Just to advise what I did find out about the 99 I was looking at with the case hardened receiver, I talked to the seller who had the 99 listed on GunBroker and he advised the gun was part of an estate that he had bought. The seller advised that the previous owner, a older hunter and collector had sent the 99 in to be case hardened, not known where, but he was selling it as he already had several 99's and other rifles in his collection and needed to sell some of the estate guns. If not, he advised he would have kept it, as it was in top shape and had been well cared for. I read somewhere before this that some 99 owners had sent their 99's into Turnbull Restoration to be CH, but Turnbull wasn't doing it any more due to the thickness of the 99's receiver not being thick enough and that some casehardened 99's had receivers crack as they were to brittle (not being thick enough). I called Turnbull Restoration and asked them about this and was advised that yes they had at one time CH the receivers of Savage 99's, but no longer would do as to the reason I mentioned. Anyway, didn't buy the 99, it did sell for a fair chunk of change. Just thought I'd pass on. Forgive the lateness of my reply.