Hello to all on the Savage Shooters forum from Iowa. Just joined, first post, so I'm a newbie. Have been reading the forum for some time, but have kept saying all the time I'd join later, so today is the day. Good forum, good information. I'm a long time shooter, hunter, and Savage fan. I have a question in regards to a possible Savage 99 purchase. I'm looking at a 99 in 250/3000 that according to the serial number was made in 1953. Really good shape, both the bluing, stock, bore, etc. It has the entire pistol grip area of the stock covered in fine checkering and the forearm is of the Schnabel style with the large diamond shaped checkering covering the bottom and sides. I've been a 99 fan since a teen in the 60's when I used to droll over the pictures in magazines such as Outdoor Life showing the Indian holding a 99. I've read some about them over the years, but have never gone into a real through read on all the model variations until recently and never knew of all the variations covering its production.

I assume that the 99 I'm looking at from the year of production (1953) is a EG model, can't be an R since it doesn't have the rounded forearm. The owner said he couldn't see any model designation in the lever boss area and to many miles separate the owner and I for me to view it personally. That leads to another question. Both the lever and receiver are finished in color case hardening, instead of the normal 99 finish of blued receiver and case hardened finished lever. Did Savage ever offer or make a run of 99's with both the receiver and lever color cased hardened or did some previous owner possibly have the receiver case hardened? The current owner advised he bought the 99 and some others in an estate sale and has no knowledge any work done on it. If the receiver was refinished, I wonder if the Model designation was buffed out? Both the stock and barrel are original, not refinished. Have been reading as much as I can get ahold of to get informed on 99 models and to see if any answers to my questions can be found. Haven't found any yet. What would be a average dollar value. If the gun has had any rework on it, I'm concerned and wondering how it would affect the value in the event I'd ever resell it. If any one has any info on this I'd be thankful. Thank you in advance. In case any are wondering, my user name 'Savage 94C' was the first Savage gun I ever owned, a Savage 'Stevens' 94C single shot shotgun in 16 gauge. Downed many a pheasant and rabbit back in the 60's as a teen with that shotgun, still have it.