Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pillar bedding

Basic Member

Re: pillar bedding

When I need to drill or drill out a hole, my bits of choice are Forstners. They're used alot in furniture and cabinetry. If you can jig up your workpiece really solid-no hand held stuff, you can drill some really clean holes with them and if you use a little finesse, you can actually drill an existing hole oversize and create a new (different) center for the hole. Another drill that is handy to have is the brad point-good for a new hole but a little shaky to enlarge or recut an existing hole. They're longer than a forstner, so I will use the forstner as far as I can and then switch to a brad point for the extra depth, following the hole created by the first cut. One such project for this operation is drilling for the rear screw on a Striker (through the handle).

The forstners are available at woodworking store such as Woodsmith or Woodcraft. I haven't priced them lately, but they used to be around $65.00 for a set of sixteen (1/4" to 2" plus) in a nice wooden case. I bought mine at (gasp!) Harbor Freight for about half the price in a nice wooden case with a different label-I still can't see any difference. Brad points are available at most harware stores for not much more than regular bits.

One other little plug for HF, I've been seeing 20% off coupons in several mags including some of the gun rags and I haven't looked, but it may be on their website. I have a fairly well equipped wood shop and while I won't trust a major power tool from HF, I buy specialty or one time use tools with a fair rate of success (don't buy their clamps to hold that peice of wood if you want it to look like a gunstock!).

This is a really fun hobby-Steve

EGW1

I see a lot of experience in this post.

Let us know what you think about our new billet aluminum trigger guard. For bedding I would think it superior to plastic.

Also were introducing a Recoil lug with a 1 1/16 as well as a 1 1/8 bore for the Larger Savage barrels.

Is there a commercially available pillers that you guys like for the Savage is is there a "need" for a set to be made?

Any Input would be appreciated!
    geo

[img width=600 height=398]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs130.ash2/39823_140123706028628_132511026789896_188750_73861 80_n.jpg[/img]

okie2

how much are the trigger guards and where do you order them from.

Basic Member

I use a "reverse piloted" cutter. The pilot studs are screwed in the action and the cutter follows the stud. This way the original hole can be of a little and the cutter will cut the hole exactly where it needs to be.

"As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

flatshooter

Wow, that is the best FOOL proof way I've seen yet! Where you get this bugger from?

http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i145.html

You think these are a good deal?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12