Thread: Impressed with Axis accuracy

Basic Member

Impressed with Axis accuracy

About two months ago my 80 year old Uncle brought me his girlfriends short stocked Axis 1 (no accu trigger) in 243 to sight in. The week after he dropped it off I decided to try to cut the end of my trigger finger off in my lathe so I hadn't been able to shoot. I'm finally getting some feeling back and most of the pain is gone so I decided to shoot it and my mdl 16 in 260 that I'm working up loads for.

I'm guessing this a package youth/ladies rifle, it's short stocked and has a cheap Nikon 3-9 scope on it. The trigger is horrendous but got better after dry firing it some. Still very heavy though, I thought about doing some work on it but thought better of it after I considered the liability. After getting it on paper at 40 yards I set up for 100 and shot both rifles. The scope is not very clear and I'm accustomed to higher magnification but all in all it went well. I was about two inches to the left and two inches high, after making the necessary adjustments I was rewarded with a three shot group well within 1", the ammo was Hornady 100gr American Whitetail.

Needless to say I'm very impressed that a rifle with the trigger it has, light and the stock doesn't ride the bags well shot so well. During my load development for my mdl 16 it has only shot a handful of groups smaller. If it doesn't come around it'll leave here and I'll check in what calibers are available in the axis.

I like the Axis...actually have come to like them better than the Stevens 200's. Have been fortunate I guess and all four of the Axis rifles I have bought have been trouble free, except for the triggers, and accurate.

my 80 year old Uncle brought me his girlfriends short stocked Axis
    For us older guys this is encouraging...there is hope for all of us.

The week after he dropped it off I decided to try to cut the end of my trigger finger off in my lathe
    Ouch! Been there!

Basic Member
    My Uncle is a character, he's been a hound all of his life. If it weren't for him my brother and I probably wouldn't have got in hunting or guns, he hauled us many many miles and let us burn up lot's of his ammo.

bigger
    I bought my axis as a cheap hunting rifle, but it has become my favorite gun. I changed the plastic stock for a boyd's and replaced the trigger spring and shimmed the trigger. Have a nice vortex waiting to go on it, but the factory bushnell has been ok for making 3 lung/heart shots on decent size mule deer bucks all from 200-300 yards. Off a bench I was able to shoot a .492 3-shot 100yd group. That is the only 3 shot group I have taken with this gun, so not sure if it was a fluke or something that would be consistent.
    (hint: not my wife's pink one)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	2189

Name:	IMG_1255.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	2190

Name:	IMG_1257.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	2191

swamphonkey
    That's exactly what happened with me. I got a handful of axis rifles and they all shoot awesome. I ended up putting boyds stocks on them doing trigger jobs and put 2.5x10x40 Nikon prostaffs on them. And they are my guns I grab. The OLNY rifle that has shot as well out the box has been the Thompson Center Ventures. I have some of those also and they shoot just as well. And the Tikka shoots good but it is as much as 3 axis cost. I have Browning,Remingtons, Winchester and custom rifles. And the dang Axis is probably my favorite. The Only thing I don't like is the bolt don't lock closed. That's the worse thing about them.

bigger
    Filled my doe tag this morning with my trusty Axis. Love this gun. The factory scope was fogging a bit, but still worked. Now I can swap the Vortex on and sight it back in before elk season.

MoToad
    Bedded my .308. Just changed out the Bushnell for a Vortex and altho the gun was shooting ok for 300 yds, the Vortex has me tack driving. Love it! Oh ya, added a Timney trigger. As good as an Accutrigger.

Basic Member
    I bought an Axis II XP 223 Remington in July for range shooting and varmint hunting. It is less expensive to reload than my 308. I swapped the scope for Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC and put it in a Byods light thumbhole stock.

Here is the result of a recent 100 yard sight-in.

Very happy with mine. My wife got it for me for my birthday. Not a gun person, she chose it because of it's low price, but with a few mods, I really have taken to the gun. I did the trigger coil cut thing, and put it in a Boyds stock. A member here did me a custom bolt handle, and I topped it off with a Nikon 4x12 M-308 on a one piece Weaver base.

Overall shot, prior to the new base.

You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.