Thread: 6.5-06 Douglas barrel...throat question

rdfrench

6.5-06 Douglas barrel...throat question

I finally got around to installing my Douglas 6.5-06 barrel from SSS this weekend, and started working up some loads. I am using 129 SSTs (Midway was out of the 140s). When I used the Stoney Point OAL gauge it shows that the chamber is throated pretty long, so much so that I have to seat the bullet back .075 to get the rounds to fit the magazine. This seems like a pretty long jump to the lands, as I typically seat about .010 off the lands. If this was a bench gun I wouldn't sweat it as I typically load them single anyway, but this is going to be my fall deer rifle...and I need them to fit the magazine. The first five shot group loaded at minimum powder charge plotted around one MOA, then I had a trigger malfunction...so I didn't get a chance to try the other loads. The Douglas barrel is a 1:8 twist, do you guys think the 129s are heavy enough? What's your thoughts on the .075 jump to the lands?

Re: 6.5-06 Douglas barrel...throat question

Don't know what you are going to hunt but the 129g bullet will probably get the job done. That is a long jump to the lands but consider that the M96 Swede is a very accurate rifle and they too were long throated since they were designed for a 160g bullet. Lot's of Moose taken with the M96. If your 6.5-06 shoots the 129 accurately then I wouldn't be concerned. I shoot 120g bullets in my 6.5x55's and they do just fine. Not as accurate as the 140's moved close to the lands but plenty accurate for hunting.

rdfrench

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    Don't know what you are going to hunt but the 129g bullet will probably get the job done. That is a long jump to the lands but consider that the M96 Swede is a very accurate rifle and they too were long throated since they were designed for a 160g bullet. Lot's of Moose taken with the M96. If your 6.5-06 shoots the 129 accurately then I wouldn't be concerned. I shoot 120g bullets in my 6.5x55's and they do just fine. Not as accurate as the 140's moved close to the lands but plenty accurate for hunting.
    I was mostly concerned with the 1:8 twist being to fast for the 129s. Does anybody know a good hunting bullet with an ogive that would allow me to get closer to the lands and still be seated deep enough to run thru the magazine?

Basic Member

Any of the 140s are plenty long...don't worry 'bout the jump...my 6.5 Tikka has a long throat and does not affect accuracy at all...just keep one caliber in the neck for length...the 8 twist is the cats meow for your 6.5x06...concentrate on 130s & 140s....don't overlook the 156s & 160s
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !