Thread: New Guy - Old Rifle 2

Basic Member

New Guy - Old Rifle 2

Second question....
    The receiver has been tapped for a rear sight and I'm wondering what kind would have been on this 1941 rifle.
    Two threaded holes with screws in them and a third hole that I'm not sure about.
    At least I think that's what went there.

Basic Member
    They are the standard holes that came with the rifle.....

The left "Hole", is the cocking indicator, that pops up when you have the rifle in the cocked position. If you cock the rifle, the indicator sticks up about 1/8" above the receiver top. After you fire the round, the indicator drops just below even with the top. it was Mr. Savage's brilliant design to let you know easily that the rifle is cocked.

The other two holes (that are screw filled), are Factory drilled/tapped holes for the purpose of mounting a receiver sight. They come standard with filler screws...(I think #8-48 thread if memory serves me right.) I installed a Redfield aftermarket sight (80-L I believe)

See my post about my rifle below, scroll thru to the end for photos:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...out-what-model

Basic Member
    Looks like I might want to replace that one.
    If they are not too expensive and you can find them.

Basic Member
    Ebay, they show up, but you'll pay $100 plus.

Basic Member
    Maybe I'll just spruce up the old one then

Basic Member
    You may be able to get a Williams sight for about $ 65 or so, I haven't looked at their products in awhile, but they probably have something for the Savage 99, I wanted to get an old marbles or other vintage Tang sight for my early model F 99, but the prices are silly anymore on ^bay, or other websites. I got a near mint Redfield 80-L for $ 125, and that's a decent price at today's going rate. Here are some options:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...age%20Arms__99

You can also look everyday at $bay for a good deal, but that's getting more difficult each day, as more people realize that 7bay has become a good source of old parts.

Basic Member
    You may be able to get a Williams sight for about $ 65 or so, I haven't looked at their products in awhile, but they probably have something for the Savage 99, I wanted to get an old marbles or other vintage Tang sight for my early model F 99, but the prices are silly anymore on ^bay, or other websites. I got a near mint Redfield 80-L for $ 125, and that's a decent price at today's going rate. Here are some options:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...age%20Arms__99

You can also look everyday at $bay for a good deal, but that's getting more difficult each day, as more people realize that 7bay has become a good source of old parts.

Basic Member
    I noticed they are very proud of their sights on ebay

Basic Member
    I was looking around and ran across this page on Savage Model 99s
    This page deals with tang sights
    This is the main page

Fun stuff

Kersht
    Greg - I have a Lyman 1A tang sight on my 99EG, but had trouble sighting it in. I had to use shims to tilt it for windage, and even at lowest elevation I was about 3" high at 100 yards. This link has some good info on sights for our old guns - http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shoot...hefire_200804/ - so I have been in the hunt for a Redfield 70L or a Lyman 56s, or a Lyman 57sa. As others have said, they don't come cheap on gun auction sites and/or estate sales, or our friend EBay. I watches several Redfields go for $130, $150, or higher. The Lyman 56 or 57 tang mounted receiver sights don't show up much... but I finally got one for $155. Hopefully it will fit easily and give me better range options for both elevation and windage. It should be much easier to sight in at the least...

Basic Member
    Probably I will just bide my time and hope for lady luck to deliver....or not.

Kersht
    There is a Redfield 70 L and another Lyman 57SA on EBay now, if you want to watch them to see how the bidding goes. Just be aware that the one I bid on went fro $87 to $155 in the last 15 seconds of the bid time... it was crazy!

Basic Member
    Yah auctions are largely driven by ego and not "good sense", it's why I don't care for them

Kersht
    Ok, but I think it is more about what the market will bear... and that changes daily...

Basic Member
    What makes me say that is that I have seen things (I have been bidding on) go for more than you can buy them for retail new.

Kersht
    You are right -- I always try to make sure I know whether it is a deal, or rather I should just go get it on Amazon. It is a bit of a crap shoot, but you can also end up with unique items at a good price.

Basic Member
    &bay has gotten much more difficult to find true deals; but you can still occasionally find them. I have found that sometimes people will list something under a slightly different heading, and that causes the item to not get many views. that's when you can get a real deal.