Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FL size or Neck size for precision loads

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    Your like me. I'm ok with 500-600 Max. Because I'm a Hunter and I don't like to shoot over 300 truth be told. But those guys are on a concrete bench shooting 1,000 yards at paper targets and have 15 pound rifles with 3,000$ scopes . Its a different ball game. I use Lee dies for a few rifles I even have a Lee press And I love it. But I'm good shooting 1" at 200. I don't need 1/4" at 200 or to make 1,000 yard shots. If I did I would buy the best also. I bow hunt mostly for deer unless I'm filling the meat locker and I shoot a rifle. But I'm like that with my archery gear. Heck my bow cost as much as a good used Harley. Do I need it no I killed lots of deer with a 150$ bear ,But I like knowing if I miss its completely my fault. When your in a sport where 1" at a half of mile means winner or second best. It makes a difference. Those guys could still probably shoot just as well useing Lee dies but it's the piece of mind knowing you left nothing to a what if?
    If you can shoot 1" at 200 yds, you would be a competitor at the 1000 yd matches.
    Id suggest you go do it. As for the scope, John Voniada held the world record for almost 14 years
    shooting a gun he built himself on a Rem 721 action, with a plain old 24x Leupold sitting on it.
    Lots of cats chased their tails during that period trying to beat that record.
    And finally the lord smiled on one of them.

swamphonkey
    I do it just about every day. I shoot at least 6 rounds out of one of my rifles. Yesterday I shot two 3-shot groups at 200 about 3/4" out of my stock 7mm08 T-C venture. I have way too much going on to shoot competition. I have 800 acres to tend. Motor scooters Harleys that need rode. A old lady that needs rode once a while. And during hunting season I hunt 6 days a week. Half with clients. My wife would leave me if I started something else.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    I do it just about every day. I shoot at least 6 rounds out of one of my rifles. Yesterday I shot two 3-shot groups at 200 about 3/4" out of my stock 7mm08 T-C venture. I have way too much going on to shoot competition. I have 800 acres to tend. Motor scooters Harleys that need rode. A old lady that needs rode once a while. And during hunting season I hunt 6 days a week. Half with clients. My wife would leave me if I started something else.
    Well you could put a scabbard on the Harley for the T C, and the old lady could ride along also. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kd8cmn View Post

This is my first long range precision rifle. I've been a re loader for around 5 years now, but this is a new game. I have one question that I hope the members will be able to answer. I am loading the brass for this rifle only, so knowing this... Full length or neck size the brass to be loaded? Thank you for your comments.

I've shot the 243win in competition for the last 3 barrels I've burned out. 90% of that I neck sized only after fire forming. It was consistent and shot well using Hornady brass. What I started to notice after about 5-6 firings was case bulge and an occasional stiff to chamber case. On the first 2 barrels I just threw the brass out and got new brass. On the most recent barrel I decided to FL Size it and move forward. What I got was stiff bolt lift throughout an entire match that dropped me from the usual Top 5 placing to the lower middle of the pack. On my latest barrel I switched over to the 6 Creedmoor and will be FL sizing and bumping the shoulder after each firing. This is the way dang near all of the top shooters run their rigs from the people I've spoken with. I won't have further feed back until I get through the first firing on the 300 pieces of brass I bought for this barrel, but so far using the Whidden dies I've had very good results even with the brand new brass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12