Thread: Using Magnum primers in a non Magnum cartridge

Basic Member

Using Magnum primers in a non Magnum cartridge

So tomorrow I'm going to Cabela's in Delaware to pick up some powder. I am running low on primers for my 30-06 & 243. Everytime I've been to Cabela's they seem to have everything but large rifle primers. Can I get away with using magnums. I know I would have to rework my load's. I wanted to order an 8 pounder from mid South,but they were out of large primers also. I live about 20 minutes from bass pro in Maryland, but they charge between 6-7 per 100 on primers and they're powders are always about 10 dollars more than Cabela's. Plus they don't charge tax up in DE. Thanks in advance for your input.

Basic Member
    Yes.

Basic Member
    Never done it, but some say that especially with harder to ignite powders, it provides more consistent ignition. What defines a hard to ignite primer, I don't have a clue.

SidecarFlip
    Velocity and pressure will change, though not a lot. If you are loading below maximum charge, there won't be an issue, if you are loading hot, there might be. I've substituted in the past building loads but they will change.

Basic Member
    Have you checked with (Shyda's) in Lebonan, good prices, 717 273 6572.

Basic Member
    Well not going to make Cabela's today. Yes I've heard of shydas, but that's almost a 2 hour drive. I think my boss is going up there sometime this month for their anniversary sale, l might have him grab me a few pounds of powder and some primers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    Velocity and pressure will change, though not a lot. If you are loading below maximum charge, there won't be an issue, if you are loading hot, there might be. I've substituted in the past building loads but they will change.
    This^
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Sometimes when shooting in cold weather or when using a large charge of powder in something like a .25-06 or .30-06, a magnum primer will give better ignition and more uniform performance. Heck, I use CCI 450 primers in .223 in an AR 15 because of the thicker cup to help avoid a slam fire and to get more uniform ignition with ball powder.

Basic Member
    I'm running 43.6 GR of 4350 with nosler 80 GR ballistic tips in my 11 VT 243 and it's holding around 3/4"-1/2" groups at 100. And I'm running 46.8 GR of RL15 with 168 GR hornady HPBT in my old model 110 holding 1/2" or better groups at 100. Not really sure how far I should back down my charges.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Magnum primers are best used with very large amounts of very slow burning powder because the flame generated burns longer and hotter. With heavy bullets or in very cold temperatures. You may be able to get away with it in the 30-06 with a 180 Gr bullet, but the 243 case doesn't have the case capacity to hold a large enough amount of a slow burning powder for a complete burn, or us a heavy enough bullet to aid in the complete burn of the powder. Fellow the reloading data if the data calls for a Magnum Primer then use one, if it doesn't then don't !

Basic Member
    Bullets.com has large rifle primers in stock. Their prices are very reasonable.

http://bullets.com/search?q=(primer_type:Rifle)
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Fed 215/215M are a safe substitute for LR primers. I've tested them in 308w / 243w and 300winmag. In the 300winmag with H-4831 there was no difference in velocity or POI compared to 210M.

In a 308win, with Varget, POI did not shift much at 220 yards. Groups were the same size as with 210M but BR2's printed the best groups.

In a 243win with H-4831, POI was 1.5" higher at 220 yards. Groups were the same as with 210M

WinLRM primers are said to be one of the hotter primers so with those I would reduce a lil and re-work up the load.

CCI-34 are very good primers for standard size cases even tho they are a Magnum primer. They do however have a hard cup and a weak firing pin will have the odd Failure To Fire.
    CCI-250 are almost identical to the CCI-34 except the anvil of the 250's is a lil more pointy and not as short as the CCI-34's.

CCI-34's are the best primers for milspec semi-auto/full auto rifles because they give an extra safety margin in case of a slam-fire.

normally, I use magnum primers on any powder slower burning than h380. got this idea after seeing in an older rl manual. plus any ball powder needs a magnum primer because they can be tough to ignite. duplex and triplex loads were once popular with an extended tube into large cartridges. that idea seems to have faded away. as always measure the case head for expansion. be sure to look at primers for cratering. look at base of cartridge for shiny marks. if you see any signs back off a least 1 grain of powder. in the old days people pushed cartridges hard. ken waters, parker ackley, Fred huntington, Fred barnes, and many others pioneers we owe a thank you. they all took a lead in pioneering safe standards that we see today

Basic Member
    At Lake City the military used magnum primers with all their rifle loads, all you need to do is make a workup load.

Check out the primer test photos below, I think "The Doors" sang "Light my Fire" when Remington was developing their primers.

Primer Flash Test Photos
    http://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

Basic Member
    Have seen that comparison before. But, have You found the Remington's to be the most accurate?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Have seen that comparison before. But, have You found the Remington's to be the most accurate?
    Lately all I have been using are Rem 7 1/2 with H335 for my two AR15s and CCI BR4 primers with single base powders in my Savage .223.

I'm 67 and have chronologically gifted eyesight and drink too much coffee to give you a honest answer. Meaning my best groups are normally a accident. (golden years humor)

Yes I agree "Sometimes when shooting in cold weather or when using a large charge of powder in something like a .25-06 or .30-06, a magnum primer will give better ignition and more uniform performance." Under these conditions and with large case's and heavy bullets !

Basic Member
    I've done it both ways. Magnum in smaller stuff and 210s in my Edge. Best ES and group I ever found with an Edge was with regular primers and 94.7 of Retumbo. An Edge is definitely a MAGNUM but ES dropped by 7 from a Magnum load.

Basic Member

Mountain Man
    Not sure on your exact location but I used to live in Centreville on the eastern shore and would regularly visit Smyrna Sporting goods in, you guessed it, Smyrna, DE. They kept a really good stock of primers and powders 6 ish years ago. Might be worth a shot, if they're still in business.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

RustyNut
    I was having issue with 5744 in a .45-70, unburned powder. Went to a mag primer and no more unburned powder in the chamber. The mag primer didn't make a difference in velocity. I didn't have a way to check pressure but the case & primer didn't look any different than the standard primer. These also were not max loads.

Basic Member
    For a really long time, I used Large Rifle Magnum Primers in every rifle cartridge I reload. Which is quite a variety of pills, for 30 years. Specifically - CCI 250's. I could build an acceptable load that did not vary materially from published data.

Keep in mind, I'm a recreational shooter (not a very good one) and a hunter (at times I think I'm a pretty good hunter, but not lately).

Recently, I started using more Large Rifle primers. The differences I've noticed.

Ball powders - I can't match published data with LR primers - I'm down @200 fps with H380 in a 22-250 - certainly NOT a high capacity cartridge. I switch to LR Magnum primers - and my velocity data matches published data with LR primers. Take that for what it's worth.

With extruded powders - the only meaningful difference I've noticed - my extreme spread, and standard deviation is better with LR primers. Large Rifle Magnum primers have more variance - but not enough to make any difference in minute-of-deer. Measurable on a chronograph, but I'm honestly not a good enough shooter to make any difference down range.

My other comment - I've noticed primer availability to be drastically improved in the last 6 months - especially Federal primers. Federal LR, LRM, and Match primers in both have been on the shelf by the thousands (how I buy them) for quite a while.

Brass - not so much. Still have quite a challenge on some brass that I'd like to buy, with the head stamp I want, and not pay too much. Brass needs to be a plan ahead deal for me. Hornady Brass seems to have the best variety and availabilty, it's just I don't like H brass that much. I'm dealing with range brass and mixed head stamp more than I'd like.

Basic Member
    Primer Effectiveness Study
    http://www.the-long-family.com/primer_study.htm

Large Rifle Primer Performance by Laurie Holland
    http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1471

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/?topic=56422.0

Primer Flash Test Photos
    by German Salazar
    http://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html