Thread: Problem with Nikon scope

flphotog

Problem with Nikon scope

I mounted a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 4-12x40 Matte bdc 150 on my Savage Mark ii today using Medium scope rings but have found unable to zero it vertically. The best I'm able to get is about 1/4" below.
    Has anyone seen this issue?

SidecarFlip
    Did you lap the rings and align them first? Sounds like a pinched tube to me.

Basic Member
    try giving the tube a light tap, I have had scopes "stick" before and would not adjust

SidecarFlip
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    try giving the tube a light tap, I have had scopes "stick" before and would not adjust
    A distinct possibility as well and something I've experienced with lower price point scopes as well, their erector systems are not as sophisticated as higher priced scopes. I've 'tapped' a few near the turrets with a small block of wood, but usually the recoil of the firearm will 'jog' the erector mechanism into alignment.

I have only one Nikon, it is mounted on a CVA Optima V2 50 Caliber front stuffer and my only issue, if you want to call it that is the magnification ring is very hard to turn.

flphotog
    Resolved the problem with a .014 shim under the rear of the picatinny rail.

SidecarFlip
    I'm not even commenting on that.

I don't believe it's a scope issue. A friend and I both have the same rifle, Mark II FV SR, both had issues getting sighted in. In my case I threw on a Tasco World Class while waiting for my Zeiss, could not get enough vertical adjustment to get sighted in, everything hit 4 inches low at 50 yards and the vertical turret was topped out. When I put the Zeiss on it was a bit better, got it sighted in, but there was less than one full turn of vertical adjustment left, so it too was almost topped out.

Neither of us are a fan of shims under the base, we would both like to see a 20MOA rail for this rifle. Our solution is Burris Signature Zee rings with off-set inserts. Not ideal in my opinion, but it works. The Zeiss has been replaced with a Sig Whiskey series. (another story altogether) I actually had to go down a couple of MOA's from center to get sighted in, I now have almost 40 MOA'S of up adjustment, not that I'll need that much for a 22, but at least I am close to the center of the adjustment range rather than topped out.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with all of the Mark II series, or just an unlucky few.

Edited to add,

Apparently my Google-foo sucks, when I was looking for solutions I failed to find this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/331...ion-port-matte

EGW makes a 20 MOA base for this rifle. Good thing I didn't send off my Midway order yet, I'm adding one of these.
    Last edited by huntin1; 11-13-2016 at 10:32 AM.