Thread: Selling my SKS

Nandy

Selling my SKS

Not here but...
    Can anyone of you help me put a value to my SKS? I am going to sell it then use the money to get a AR15. Im keeping the ammo as I plan on getting an AK later on..
    This is a Norinco gun that I bought before I moved here in 98, all serials matching.
    It is on a synthetic stock that I bought as many years ago but I have the wood stock that came with it.
    I have installed a muzzle brake on it.
    I have 2 optic mount for it, the one that replaces the buffer spring cap (I have the original cap too) and one that has to be tapped to the receiver. I never installed the later one.
    It has the original strap and bandoleer, plus 20 speed loader clips.
    It has a bipod, dont remember the brand but I am sure it is the one that walmart sells.

Thanks!

h2ogunr
    throw the mag, mounts, muzzle brake and stock in the trash. put it back to original. $350

Nandy
    Thanks for your input. The magazine is not a lot of value but I thing throwing it in the trash is a bit unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ogunr View Post
    throw the mag, mounts, muzzle brake and stock in the trash. put it back to original. $350
    Lets be a little more "Tactful"; shall we?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

nobody
    I traded mine to a ruger American in .243 and feel I came out on top know the ruger American rifles are trash. I sold the ruger for $400.00 and kept the scope. does that help you out any?

List it on the big auction site starting at $.01 (penny auction) and see what it goes for. I agree that putting it back original would bring the most $$.
    Do the same for the accessories. Don't get too worried if the top bids don't come in till the last couple of hours. It should bring at least $250 on the low end but most likely more. The accessories dont have much value but the "high cap" and even the rifle itself may go up significantly after the election depending which way the winds blow. Just be sure not to ship to a "restricted" part of the country and make that plain in the ad.
    I often use the big auction site to determine current market value of items but you have to look at closed auctions. The ones where the item actually had bids and sold, not at asking prices. The penny auctions always sell and are a pretty good reflection of the current market.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

How do you search recently sold items on GB? I've looked and looked, but the closest search option I can find is Going, Going, Gone!

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally found it. Sneaky bastages!

Glad you found it Mr. F.
    It's an excellent tool to keep in the kit because checking the national market does away with the regional differences in value.
    Just be sure to remember to add shipping costs when assessing value and FFL fees unless you have a local shop that does free transfers.
    Shipping on GB is usually picked up by the buyer.

Nandy
    looks as I am keeping it for a bit. best I could get from a store was $300 but I understand as they have to turn around and sell it. The lowest price any of such stores would try to sell it was $450, most were in the $500 to $600 plus. Either gun broker or arm list, anyone has input on arm list?

Keeping it for a bit is probably a good idea with the election so close.
    We've all seen the crazy things that have happened due to politics like the fairly recent crazy swings in prices and availability of firearms related items especially autoloaders. Politicians are excellent gun salesmen
    Sometimes local gun shops will do consignment which is also an option.
    Be sure and keep in mind there is often a pretty significant difference between "asking price" and "selling price"
    especially with "used" on the shelf gun shop items.
    If you get an offer anywhere near 5+ to 6 for a plain Jane Norinco and a couple of accessories in the current market, take the money and RUN as fast as you can. Though the polytechs with a nicer finish and the M models that take AK mags and the Russian Tula arsenal models sell for a bit more, those sound like unrealistic asking prices for a plain Jane Norinco to me.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 10-04-2016 at 11:19 PM.

I'm kind of hoping Hillary gets elected just so my AR's will quadruple in value over night and I can make out like a bandit selling them at the December gun show when everyone's in full-on panic mode. On the other hand I don't because standard 22LR plinking ammo is just finally starting to be readily available again (though prices are still somewhat inflated).

Basic Member
    We should all be in full panic mode right now just thinking about that.

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    I'm kind of hoping Hillary gets elected just so my AR's will quadruple in value over night and I can make out like a bandit selling them at the December gun show when everyone's in full-on panic mode. On the other hand I don't because standard 22LR plinking ammo is just finally starting to be readily available again (though prices are still somewhat inflated).
    Come on don't even think like that! That crazy witch might make us just like Australia where you can't own a simiAuto I don't want to see the hummer with the U.N on the side coming up my drive to collect my rifles because I didn't voluntarily turn them over. And don't start with that it will never happen bullcrap look at Chicago and New York city and California how it's going on right in front of the "it will never happen" crowd. Everyone better wake up and start voting properly. 99% of the way I vote is about the stance on the 2and amendment. 25 years ago a SKS was 89$ now look at what they cost and its not because They are made any better or it cost more to make them rattle boxes..

glockr
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    looks as I am keeping it for a bit. best I could get from a store was $300 but I understand as they have to turn around and sell it. The lowest price any of such stores would try to sell it was $450, most were in the $500 to $600 plus. Either gun broker or arm list, anyone has input on arm list?
    If it was me, I'd sell off all the "accessories," put the gun back to stock, and keep it. Norinco's were probably the nicest of the low dollar import guns. Used to have 2 of their SKS's and a 1911. Had to sell them a long time ago to pay off some bills. Looking back, I should have sold one of my "nice" guns and kept the 3 Norincos.

WeldNFool
    I have an original Yugo and was looking for a partner to make a tacticool rifle for no other reason than to do it because I didn't want to mess with the Yugo. Components on mine all looked to good to trash out. Looking around and nothing was cheap enough to warrant stripping and throwing aftermarket stuff at it. Most went anywhere from $350 to low $500's but the higher end ones were rare. I'd say that a lot of focus is on black rifles, the SKS although known among the inner circle of firearms owners is not well known on buyers looking to enter the world of firearms. They hear "assault rifle", "ban", "machine gun", "AR" and then add in Kalashnikov and the SKS I think gets buried due to the lack of acknowledgment or should I say, media coverage.

Restore it to it's original state, sell off the other gear and stuff the SKS in the safe. It's bought and paid for, doesn't eat anything unless you go out and shoot it. Save up your money and go out and get your AR. Just my two cents.

Poor Shot
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    If (when) Hillary gets elected, what makes you think there will be a December gun show?

I'd keep it, I've got several and never paid over $350 all private party deals. The $300 gun store offer is better than fair IMHO but mine are worth more to me than what I paid for them. I'm unaware of another 7.62 semi auto that is 10 round stock capacity and can be shot for less than 30 cents a round.

I have a yugo with a realy bad stock. Anyone know where to get a stock for that? it's a little different than a typical SKS
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Nandy
    I should have added that I got the ar a few weeks ago. Might still sell the sks online and get me a 7.62 upper with the money...

Thanks everyone for their input.

WeldNFool
    I can't remember for sure but in my search for a rifle stock for my 308 I swear I ran across someplace that had SKS stocks. Now, with all of the information I have been pouring thru I am not exactly sure if it was wood if that is what you are looking for.

Here's something I found doing a quick Google search, https://www.buymilsurp.com/stock-vge...fle-p-335.html

More from buymilsurp.com, https://www.buymilsurp.com/sks-origi...age=2&sort=20a

Here's a guy on Etsy that is making wood stocks and has one based on the original design. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LuckyShotW...hopheader-name

If you're looking for aftermarket wood, http://www.timbersmithusa.com/produc...iewCat&catId=3
    Last edited by WeldNFool; 10-30-2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: adding more