Thread: .300 win mag H1000 load data.

nobody

.300 win mag H1000 load data.

I'm loading 75.5 grains so of H1000 under 220 grain hornady ELDX bullets. I'm trying to find more load data for the 220 grain ELDX rounds using H1000 powder. This load is shooting groups at 200 yard you have to really look at to tell it is more than one bullet. I have them seated long enough it won't load out of a magazine so I made a single shot adapter for it. I have shot it out to 500 yards and got under 1.5 inch groups. I don't know if i'm at max charge or not. Don't plan to change the load or anything, just looking to find more data on using H1000.

Basic Member
    With quickload, and a little more info, you can get some good estimates.

Needed info:
    col.
    Brass length.
    Weight of water in a filled fired case. Zero on empty case.
    Barrel length.

If you have chrono data, pressure can be more accuratly estimated.

If the quickload software does not have dimensions for that bullet, one can be entered with measurments from a caliper and scale.

Someone might even run the numbers for you if you post enough information.

nobody

this is the rifle. I took a brand new shilens barrel off it because I wanted to wear this one out first. I have a bartlein ordered. I figure it will take awhile before I see it. I plan to put around a 30 inch barrel back on it with a brake on it. I have a rifle basix sav II trigger due in Friday.

the brass is brand new hornady brass. I purchased 100 piece of it and 500 220 grain hornady ELDX bullets because it shot some hand loads a friend of mine had great at 100 yards. I started playing with powder charge and found at 75.5 grains the groups got smaller. by playing with seating depth the shrunk even more to one ragged hole at 200 yards.

this target was the first 5 shots after restocking it. 1st shot was low and left. second was higher with elevation added. 3rd, 4th and 5th went in almost the exact same hole. i don't clean a barrel till it tells me it needs it. most people over clean factory barrels. they normally shoot better with a little fouling to fill in the tooling marks left behind.

here is the second 200 yard target. i adjusted the scope so i had a unmolested aiming point to see exactly what it was doing. i really think i found the load.

i have pillar bedded and glass bedded this rifle. i made my own pillars on the lathe and used the miles gilbert bedrock glass bedding kit(by the way i like that kit).

here is the bullet i am using. http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-220-GR-ELD-X the details are at the bottom of the page. not seeing any pressure signs, but i don't know where i am at. all the data i can get is for flat base round nose 220 grain bullets.

nobody

sorry. this is the first target sighting it in in the new stock.

Basic Member
    That bullet is in quickload.

At 3.340" COL for 30" barrel. 2944 fps, 62735 psi, 100% burn. Assuming jump.
    At 3.500" COL for 30" barrel. 2887 fps, 57115 psi, 100% burn. Assuming jump.
    At 3.700" COL for 30" barrel. 2820 fps, 51476 psi, 100% burn. Assuming jump.

SAAMI max pressure is 64000 psi in quickload.

With the info I specified earlier, a better estimate / load range could be calculated.

With Case water volume, COL, whether or not you are jammed or jumping; much more complete information could be calculated. If you had chrono data for your current load, much more accurate pressure could also be calculated.

nobody
    I will see what I can do for you tonight when I get home. My barrel now is 26 inches. My oal is 3.427 with these loads right now. I was getting between 2820 and 2840 fps thru my chrony. I don't know if I truly trust my chrony anymore because a friend of mine hit the back of it with a .22lr out of a really short barreled pistol about 2 monthes ago. That isn't that bad of a spread to me.

nobody
    ok. I got home early and grabbed 5 cases of brand new hornady brass. I checked each one 3 times to make sure. using my daughters medicine measuring cup they all held 7ML of water each time I tested them. the case length on them was the same at 2.613. the ones that have been shot one time measured 2.620 (.007 stretch at the belts). the bullets measure 1.627 long, .308 diameter(who would have seen that coming? LMAO)the distance for the length of the .308 diameter part of the bullet is .715.

does this info help you out any? what website are you putting this info into? seems my 75.5 grains of h1000 might be a little more that half way thru the charge curve, but shooting darned well in my rifle.

I did this rifle last year after thanksgiving for a friend with stage 4 cancer. he past away in march. he left me this rifle in his will. he purchased it brand new never shot and dropped it off here for me to go over. he wanted a shilens varmint tapered select match grade barrel on it. I installed one of the shilens blanks I had on hand, glass bedded the factory laminate stock, set the trigger and put his scope on it. now I put the factory barrel back on it, put a 20 m.o.a. weaver rail on it and put my Mueller 8x32c44mm target scope on it. then I put pillars in the new stock and glass bedded it. my rifle basix sav 2 trigger should arrive tomorrow.

my only real question is why can't I find any load data for anything but round nose 220 grain bullets using h1000 anyplace on line?

nobody
    the fired brass held 7.1ML of water. not much more than the unfired brass. the barrel is 26 inches also.

nobody
    do I need the exact weight of the fired brass filled with water? I don't think I have scales that will measure the exact weight unless you can turn grains into grams.

nobody
    7 ml is .236698(it goes on) ounces. 7.1 ml is .24007(it goes on). I found the qiuckload programs. man they are proud of them for sure!! I can see why, it would help greatly in load developments.

Basic Member
    Its been said that the best way to tell good rice pudding is by tasting it.
    Seems to me your looking for more verification?
    Be happy and enjoy. lol

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Its been said that the best way to tell good rice pudding is by tasting it.
    Seems to me your looking for more verification?
    Be happy and enjoy. lol
    very good point!

Basic Member
    Ran your numbers. Few notes.
    The bullet in quickload is a different length. I adjusted for your length, but left the tail dimensions default. Your water measurement seems really high. The recommended way to measure is to zero a digital scale on a fired case with spent primmer. Then add water to the point of overflow. The program used water weight in grains. With your number converted to grains, the velocity is way off, so I used the default capacity.

So...
    300 Win Mag. Default 91.99gr of water capacity.
    Hornady 220gr ELDX 1.627" length. Default Tail, Small dia .267", Large dia .308, Length of taper .160"(I think your tail is slightly different).
    3.427 COL, 2.620 Case Length.
    26" Barrel.
    H1000 Powder.

Fill-Grains-FPS-PSI
    106%-74.3-2802-58463
    107%-74.7-2818-59609
    107%-75.1-2833-60781
    108%-75.5-2849-61982
    108%-75.9-2865-63208-Near MAX Pressure

That looks close to your chrono numbers. If I up the water capacity to 93.0gr, velocity is 2830fps at your load of 75.5gr.

All normal warnings about this being estimated data apply. Use at your own risk. Since your already found your load, this is more of just for your reference. Quickload is a fun program to play with, first several times using it, there are almost too many variables. If you have accurate chrono data, case capacity, and temperature, you can even play with the powder burn rate for your lot and get excellent estimates.

Also, this data uses a shot start pressure of 3626psi for a jumped bullet. If jammed, it would use 10826psi to start, and then your load would be estimated to be over 2900fps and a max pressure of 73178psi. Probably wouldn't take the gun apart, but almost 10000psi over max, not good.

Have a good one,
    Adam.

nobody
    Thank you very much. If I had know it would take weight in grains I could have done that on my charge master. If you don't mind crunching the numbers again I will get more measurements and the weight of a shot piece in grains when I get home from my doctors visit.

Basic Member
    I can do that. What did you come up with?

Basic Member
    Wanna have some fun put a stout load of H4350 or RL17 behind a 110vmax (4000 fps) and watch prairie dog/groundhog parts fly long distances in all directions.

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
    Wanna have some fun put a stout load of H4350 or RL17 behind a 110vmax (4000 fps) and watch prairie dog/groundhog parts fly long distances in all directions.
    Now that is having to much fun! I'm all about having fun!

Basic Member
    My PD eradicating partner had a spare 110 300WM FV pencil bbl rifle we put a straight 1.057" 30 inch 12 twist 300WM SAAMI chamber barrel on it, put it in a Choate Varmint stock with as much lead shot as it would hold, rifle weighs 23 lbs, still not much fun after 3-4 shots. Its great fun for the spotter though Funny part is the red mist doesn't happen at short range, get 'em 250 yds or so and they just vaporize.