Thread: Magneto Speed

Magneto Speed

Looking for real world experiences with the magneto speed and specifically the sporter version. I have a regular chrony that I use now that works fine but we all know what a pain they are to mess with especially at a busy range. The V3 sounds great but at almost $400 thats a bit steep. The sporter version sells for $189 and seems to include all of the features I would ever use. Ive been reading lots of reviews and they are either great or terrible with complaints of being cheaply made and not securing to the barrel real well. I trust you guys so I am counting on you to convince me either yay or nay. One of the most common complaints I read is that it changes point of impact and affects group size. All I can say to that is duh! Not planning on doing any load work while attached just want to get solid chrono data after I have found my loads.

Basic Member
    I own & use a MagnetoSpeed Sporter currently. I have used the V3 version as well. Being in the same boat I chose the sporter. It gets the job done. I run heavy barrels that finish around .9" at the muzzle and have not had any issues securing it. I would imagine results may be different if using it in conjunction with a sporter barrel as there is not nearly as much surface area to secure it too, but I wouldn't say that it wouldn't work. You have to take the time to secure it correctly!

Anyways, the sporter does everything I need it to, but I would much prefer the interface offered by the V3's control unit as you get much more information with less button clicking on the V3. So, that's it. Preference is the V3, but the sporter will do everything you need too as long as you don't need to put it on a pistol, rimfire, or something with a suppressor.

Hope this helps!

Helps a lot. I use a lot of different contours, anywhere from standard sporters to straight bulls. All I'm looking for is velocity, SD and ES. I don't care how many buttons I have to push to get there barrels need time to cool anyways.

LongRange
    i also own and like the sporter...its the same thing as the V3 without all the bells and whistles which i dont need as i only use it a couple of times a year...velocities have been spot on according to actual drops.

Awesome.

Team Savage
    +1. The sporter works very well for what you have in mind. Velocity, SD, ES data available at your fingertips.

Basic Member
    I got my Sporter version a couple of weeks ago on sale at Cabelas. 15% off and free shipping so finally decided I needed one and could afford it.

It fits my varmint barrels fine and my shooting buddy's pencil barrel 243 Savage. No problems at all with mounting and has recorded every shot so far.

Yes, it does move the POI, but I find it also tightens groups. Acts like a barrel tuner on my 28" barrel, ain't THAT weird!

I don't need to down load info to a computer, so the Sporter is fine for me. Quick and easy to use, reliable results.

acemisser
    interesting...appreciate you guys info on this as I have been
    dreaming about getting one, But retirement makes for a
    tough decision if you get my meaning..Rizzo

I appreciate the info as well. I will be picking one of these up soon.

Magneto Speed

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Magneto Speed

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Can't speak for the sport, I got the V3 deluxe. I have used this chrony on rifle contours ranging from standard sporter up to 1" at the bore. The velocities have been spot on, and the drop estimate has been really close at 1000 yards. The estimate that the Vortex ballistic calculator has been around 1MOA off from the actual drop I've experienced. Granted the range I got the velocities from is around 80 miles away from the 1000 yard range, so the difference could be explained in the environmental factors. Overall this is an outstanding product. The only downside to this product is that it has a hard time attaining velocities on large caliber magnum handguns. My 5" 629 produced error.

There are other competitive options out there that might be considered as well.
    You could invest in a lab radar ballistic chronograph. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...ar-chronograph
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I purchased one a couple weeks back from Midway last time I needed to make an order. I have tried using it three or four times now and the first time I used it, it worked great. Each time since it will read the first two shots then nothing. I get no error code just --- on the display. The strap system leaves a lot to be desired but I do like how it will fit nicely in a range bag and no need to go down range to set it up. More testing is needed but as of right now I neither love it or hate it.

Basic Member
    The trick to the strap is to loosen the screw quite a bit. Pull it hand tight as snug as you can get it, then tighten the screw down until the bayonet can not be move forward or back. Mine works every time! Also you need to ensure you have the right insert to get the bayonet very close to the bullets path.

Basic Member
    You may also need to adjust the sensitivity. I had to in order for mine to pick up the round every time!

That strap is stiff when you get it but once it gets broken in it will attach much more securely

Watch it close at first. It will get loose.

Like the post above said the trick to getting it tight is to loosen the adjustment screw all the way, tighten the strap as tight as.you can by hand and then use the adjustment screw to tighten it securely

I have the v3. I like having the data card. I download to my computer in excel and input all the.pertinent data. That way I can go.back later and see how different loads performed. I am old and CRS disease has set in

Basic Member
    Mine has been recording shots 100% so far, but then it's set on the most sensitive setting. Don't know if it came that way or I accidentally re-set it while fat fingering through the menu. Not sure if that's also what caused the Stock Market to flash drop 1000 points about that time. Just a coincidence I suppose.

Guy at the range with more money tied up in his shooting stuff than I have in my house says HIS Magnetospeed will vary considerably if the gap isn't perfectly set to the same amount every time. He uses the carbon fiber square "stick" to adjust his gap. Swears it make a big difference.

Basic Member
    The sporter doesn't come with the stick... but any straight stick 10-12" long that fits slightly in the muzzle should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk