Thread: Now what.....I do not reload?!!

Now what.....I do not reload?!!

Just got me a Savage 12 LRP in 243, goshhhh I love that thang!!! Waiting for scope to come in...BUT I do not reload, now what....is there any factory ammo that does extra well in this LRP....any suggestion on brand, bullet weight and maybe personal experience for this truck axel shooting stick ( I love it...!!!) Would be nice if I could knew what to buy to make it shoot for now....mostly paper and not more then 100-200 yards for now.....and is is OK to brake it in with cheap arse ammo??
    I am sort of new to this thing and need to learn a lot....thanks

goshhhh I love that thang!!!
    Never gets old!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

My father in law used to put the cheapest tires he could find on his Mercedes. I remember right after he passed away I was looking at it and all 4 tires were different makes.
    That LRP is a fine rifle. Feed it well and learn all you can to take it long.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Last week I picked up a box of 95gr Winchester "Deer Season" Extreme Point. So far all the rounds fired have been well within a 1" square.
    Last edited by wbm; 09-29-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Basic Member
    You'll have a hard time finding match grade ammo for the 243win and when you do it will not be cheap! I've reloaded for 3 barrels now and don't know what I would rely on if I didn't reload for it.

With the 9.25 twist I would look for something in the 80-95gr range as far as bullets go. Otherwise I would suggest Copper Creek with the 105 Hybrids, but I don't know if they'll stabilize in the slower twist barrel.

I love the .243 Winchester for long range precision, but, as LoneWolf says, finding match ammo for it is an exercise in futility. For the cost of feeding that beast, you might consider swapping barrels for a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    I bought my 11VT in 243 back in April, it shoots about 3/4" group at 100 with 100 GR SPs Hornady American. Not to expensive to shoot for factory ammo. Plus you get some decent brass for future reloading if you decide to go that direction.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

swamphonkey
    Best advice I can give you is get yourself a Lee kit. 120$ and start loading your own. By time you buy 5 boxes of halfway good factory loads you have paid for your set up. Just break her in with what you can and save your brass. I run a lot of 243 and now am stuck on the monolithic bullets. And for factory loads they are 40$plus a box. So by time I shoot 100 rounds of factory I paid for my whole 243 set up.. I've found that the factory loads to be very inconsistent as far as bullet depth and powder charges. And you having a rifle that is capable of shooting one hole do you want to tie your hands like that? Just shoot up factory fodder in her now and look at it as buying brass for later. And save your money for a press. I've had a cheap Lee for a long time and use it every week it's saved me more money than I could imagine. And loaded ammo is just going up. It wasn't long ago a box of 243 were 8.99$ For basic loads.

Basic Member
    Yep, my Lee single stage has paid for itself many times over. The breach lock kit is about 130 on Amazon, just get yourself a simple digital scale, the beam scale in the kit kinda sucks.

Basic Member
    I started with the Lee 50th anniversary kit. I eventually over time upgraded to a chargemaster and then the RCBS Summit press for sizing and seated, but I use the lee press solely for priming and de-priming now. The kit has everything you need to get started at a very low entry cost to get a solid idea of how you want to grow in the reloading realm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I started with the Lee 50th anniversary kit. I eventually over time upgraded to a chargemaster and then the RCBS Summit press for sizing and seated, but I use the lee press solely for priming and de-priming now. The kit has everything you need to get started at a very low entry cost to get a solid idea of how you want to grow in the reloading realm.
    How do you like the summit press, I've been thinking about getting one

Basic Member
    love it!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You'll have a hard time finding match grade ammo for the 243win and when you do it will not be cheap! I've reloaded for 3 barrels now and don't know what I would rely on if I didn't reload for it.

With the 9.25 twist I would look for something in the 80-95gr range as far as bullets go. Otherwise I would suggest Copper Creek with the 105 Hybrids, but I don't know if they'll stabilize in the slower twist barrel.

Edit:
    Sometimes the barrels are limiting, but...
    If you can't get
    Berger 105gr. VLD'S
    there's always 95gr. VLD'S.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/HSM-T...ion/706592.uts
    Using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yes, but that's not factory ammo....

Grandoug

Not a good idea

If you love your dog, you don't feed cheap food,,,if you love your old clunker car, you dont use chep gas. Don't use cheap ammo in your new gun...Lead fouling can lead to excessive cleaning with abrasive materials. Not Good. IMO