Thread: ()@""# Coyotes!!

swamphonkey

()@""# Coyotes!!

Our does fawn a lot later than most of the country and now the little ones are learning where everything is. Well I was working on my 4Wheeler today and the prettiest doe comes out with two perfect little fawns. And a pack of song dogs just fire up across the pasture. So I guess I know what they are after. The crap is our Game and fish won't let us shoot them at night and wonder why we can't control the dang things. I'm getting up at 5 am and grabbing little evil my 243 and going to work on their @$$.

Basic Member
    Just the opposite problem here, we're so over run with deer that it's becoming dangerous to drive. I witnessed a flying deer Sunday at 1030 after it bounced off the hood of a car. It hit about 25' elevation and 50' distance. Last year I started counting just the deer I could see from the seat of my car while driving home at midnight and came up with about 350. So far this year I'm at 280. We have a few coyotes that I've seen but they certainly aren't doing their jobs.

GL on the songdogs

swamphonkey
    1 down a large male I'd say pushing 45 lbs. I got lucky he hit the road running to a fawn bleat he must have seen me and turned at about 125 yards and I ran a ttsx up his rear out his jaw. Bullet performance was perfect but my hunting was not so much lol.. I'll try again this afternoon. I'm not the best caller I wish I had a E-call but no electronic calls allowed here. It's like they want the coyote to over run.
    And Holes creek. We have watched our deer number drop really bad in the last 10 years. Between the outlaws the predators and the EHD I doubt it will ever be like it was. Enjoy the high population it makes for fun hunting and the price of meat now you would think everyone would take part.

Basic Member
    Yea ya gotta love the 243 on yotes. There are no runaways!

Swamphonkey ( interesting name). Try making a squeaker call. Easy to make fron cloths pin taken apart and reassembled with the flat sides together. Stretch a cut rubber band between the flat sides and wrap it around the ends to hold it together.

Sneak quietly to your chosen spot and then sit for 10 min or so. After that blow on the squeaker 4 or 5 short squeaks and be ready with he rifle up to your shoulder. If they are close you will have em on top of you in seconds, so be ready. I have had them stop with only one large manzanita bush between us. One did a stare down at about 6 ft before backing off and taking a second look at about 10 yds. Wasn't ready at 6 ft mark, at 10 yd appearance I popped him in the neck with a 20 gr gamepoint from a 17 HMR. I was after fox on that trip but when opportunity knocks......

Remember you can easily over call. And start with quiet calls regardless of type. They will pinpoint you from unbelievable distances.

swamphonkey
    Yeah buddy I'm going in the morning again they are thick on a few deer carcass I got out. Too bad I can't shoot bear I have a nice one on them also.

We're allowed to hunt predators night and day here in S Texas but I actually kill more coyotes calling in the daylight. I do predator control for about 60k acres and I can tell you it's very difficult to put a serious dent in their numbers by hunting. It's sure fun, though. Only way to control them is trapping along with cyanide guns and helicopter shoots if there's not too thick a canopy. Check with your local biologist about the government predator management program. It's funded by the Feds and it's pretty affordable, actually, and they use all means to control on your property. Surprising how few people actually know about the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamphonkey
    BHG. Thanks for that info. I would have been one that had never heard of it. Lol. I also trap but it's very time consuming so I run sets on my main drive. I catch a few a year on it. I think after deer season I'm going to really trap and see if I can't knock them back a bit. Before I bother those fellas with my problems. But mor than likely I'll be calling them. Thanks again.