Thread: Match Footage - Guardian Long Range Competition

Basic Member

Match Footage - Guardian Long Range Competition

Stage Descriptions are filled in on the Video Descriptions. Went back to YouTube for this post share as I believe the video quality is kept a bit higher. These are posted in the order I shot the stages throughout the day! Only 6 stages in this match, but it was pretty good.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    So feedback on the match, most of the people working these matches are not professionals, but have volunteered their time for a great event. All of the proceeds for this match went to Bethany Christian Services (BCS) and the Range directive at Woodys Hunting and Rifle Club opened up his space to host this event out of the kindness of his heart. BCS uses all of the funding to assist families with infant adoptions to provide another avenue other than abortion or other means to mothers who may not be able to take care of the kid themselves. So it's a great cause to put your money towards for a day of shooting.

On to the match. The match was organized into 6 squads which set up the day for the 6 stages that were provided. I would have liked to see more professional RO's that ran the stages a little better and kept people moving. There was enough seasoned shooters in our squad to pick up a good bit of the slack with spotting and other items which helped out a lot, but our RO's specifically I would not have wanted representing my business. Anyways the stages offered were pretty good offering a little bit of run and gun, lots of target transitions, with mostly mid and short range targets, and only 1 long range stage. I've shot at this location only once before and based on the cost of their regular matches I wish they would put more effort into providing a target with better feedback as well as something to spot misses better on the 1000yds target. It's a simple static IPSC referred to as the "iron maiden". If the paint is not fresh this piece of steel does not swing, does not ring, and with nothing, but green around it and grass in front of it you don't really get an idea of where people are hitting let alone where you are hitting. I know they can afford a better system of hit indicators that would keep you from having to argue with the RO's over that target.

Another topic that I wasn't fond of is that all there matches are ran with an unlimited round count. 1. I don't want to burn out a barrel to win a match! 2. If they wanted to provide a higher round count match they could get more creative and run more stages. We had an almost 2hrs break for lunch which makes for a very long day with very little shooting in reality.

Now that the bad is out of the way on to the good. The level of competition that showed up at this match was surprising as it was my first Guardian, but the guys that have been to a few of them at this point were surprised. I shot well and hit a pretty good percentage of the shots I took, but with the unlimited round count a number of guys were able to run away with the match on just a few stages. So, I have a lot of work to do as the prime match season slows down it's pace a bit. I feel like I always do at these events, as fun as it is to win and shoot well, it's about the people. I feel very welcomed on the east coast shooting seen, I see a high level of competitive shooters, and I look forward to the 2017 season as I just received a new 6 Creedmoor barrel from Apache and will have it tuned in and ready to go with a couple of winter matches before next season.

Stay in touch gentlemen and keep your barrels warm as the fun will continue!

Enjoyed the videos, thanks for posting. Noticed at the end, you mention switching to the 6 Creedmoor. If I recall correctly, LongRange is doing likewise for his competition gun. I feel certain this is not a coincidence. Just curious as to what benefits you guys feel the 6 CM will have over the 243 & 260. Forgive me for not looking up the brass dimensions, but seems like they would be pretty similar (I'm getting old and lazy).
    Last edited by mike21; 10-15-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: remove futile attempt at humor
    Mike

Basic Member

Match Footage - Guardian Long Range Competition

It will get me the same performance, but with a shorter more efficient case that fits better in the magazine. I pushed LR to the 6 Creed as well he just built his first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, curiosity resolved.
    Mike