Thread: New Guy, Old rifle

Basic Member

New Guy, Old rifle

I finally today took possession of my 1941 model 99 in 300 Savage.
    This rifle is to replace the one I had in the 70s and for some reason (I can't even remember) sold.
    It has been my goal (in recent years) to replace every firearm I ever owned and stupidly sold and I am getting towards the end of the list.

First question is...
    What was the original finish of the walnut stock on this rifle?
    I have been cleaning with some Murphy Soap and the crud has been really coming off as you might expect.

It looks like an oil finish, but which kind?

Thanks
    G

Basic Member
    In 1941, I wonder if it was simply Lacquer?

Basic Member
    After cleaning I crossed my fingers and gave it a hot BLO treatment and it came out great.
    I have the stock and fore grip hanging with a fan gently moving the air around them.
    Now looking around for some paste wax to finish it with. Don't know that car wax is the thing to use.....

Meanwhile I gave the metal parts a good cleaning and oiling. It was pretty dirty although it didn't look that bad.

Basic Member
    Trewax is about the best, but a bit pricey.

Basic Member
    I'm not sure about BLO, but a number of finishes, need three weeks to fully cure, before you apply any wax at all. I KNOW with Lacquer, that three weeks minimum is the standard....the lacquer will be dry to the touch within a day, but takes three weeks minimum to fully cure. I would wait three weeks or so before applying any type of wax.

by the way, Renaissance wax is the best in the World,...it is used by Museums around the World for protecting Metal, Wood, and a number of other materials. I correspond with a professional Wood worker who recommended it to me a couple of years ago.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
    I'm not sure about BLO, but a number of finishes, need three weeks to fully cure, before you apply any wax at all. I KNOW with Lacquer, that three weeks minimum is the standard....the lacquer will be dry to the touch within a day, but takes three weeks minimum to fully cure. I would wait three weeks or so before applying any type of wax.

by the way, Renaissance wax is the best in the World,...it is used by Museums around the World for protecting Metal, Wood, and a number of other materials. I correspond with a professional Wood worker who recommended it to me a couple of years ago.

Thanks, I will wait the 3 weeks.
    and thanks for the tip on the wax

Basic Member
    Here is a link...

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-W...enaissance+wax

it is expensive; but a jar like this will last a looonnnggg time. the secret is to use as thin a coat as possible. The guy i correspond with did/does museum grade restoration of Antique furniture. Ever hear of Thomas Jefferson? this guy was hired to restore one of his pieces of furniture. A number of guys also say it's better than gun oil at preventing rust. I have not yet used it on metal, but do use it on wood gunstocks.

Kersht
    I'm an old guy too -- and I just refinished the stock and forearm my 1936 99EG. I chose BLO as well, and I'm still applying light layers hand rubbed in with my palm. It is shaping up nicely! I hope to add a Lyman 56/57 or a Redfield 70/80 to it next. Sighted in though and ready for deer season...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kersht View Post
    I'm an old guy too -- and I just refinished the stock and forearm my 1936 99EG. I chose BLO as well, and I'm still applying light layers hand rubbed in with my palm. It is shaping up nicely! I hope to add a Lyman 56/57 or a Redfield 70/80 to it next. Sighted in though and ready for deer season...

Old guys rule 8^)