Thread: New Apache barrel shoot's outstanding.

New Apache barrel shoot's outstanding.

Jim spun me up a Bartlien bull in 6br. I bore sighted by eye and shot the very first 3 rounds into a .178" group all groups that day did not exceed 1/2" for break in. The barrel did not need any breaking in as there was no copper, only powder fouling. But I shot 7 groups any way.

Today I took it to a 300 yard bench shoot and earned 1st place shooting a clean 400-24x. I had a 6 shot group when the flags dropped that a dime could cover right in the center of the x ring.

Thank you very much for doing great work Jim

Regard's

Dan

Last edited by DanSavage; 09-24-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

I should mention that I did a ladder test at 200 yards using 107 SMK from 27.5- 30.8 of Varget total group size was 1.8" but I could see 2 nodes and I picked the lower one's middle which id 29.3 grain. The 2 nodes that showed had vertical in the .0's at 200 yards!

No seating depth test's preformed,, just slight'y jamming them.

I was up against a Canadian bench rest shooter using a 30br with left port Nesika action Krieger barrel all custom stuff, and a couple other benchrest guy's with the tricked out 6 ppc's,, other 6br's 6.5's and a Savage FTR .223 on the line.

Conditions were pretty tough though, changing mirage that was heavy and 2-5 mph variable winds that went left right head and tail at times,, I won buy waiting for the flags to indicate light breeze and not shooting much during a boil.

The parts used for this setup is:

Short action 4.4 center feed model 10
    Rifle Basic comp trigger set to 4 oz.
    Savage F-class factory stock 4.4 screw space, (not bedded yet)
    Sightron 36X target scope
    Factory recoil lug
    Factory barrel nut
    Lapped lugs
    Ejector removed
    Bolt lift kit can't remember if I got it from Dean or Dennis,.38 case and ball bearing
    Bartlien 5R .237 .243 8 twist chambered in 6BR Norma, and throated optimally for 105 gr. bullet's

I will be shooting Berger bullet's when I get my new stock of Varget and primer's.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 09-24-2016 at 07:14 PM.

LongRange
    nice shooting Dan congrats!!

ive told you guys about those bartlein barrels...they are not cheap and now you see why and i bet from this point on youll be running bartleins

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    nice shooting Dan congrats!!

ive told you guys about those bartlein barrels...they are not cheap and now you see why and i bet from this point on youll be running bartleins
    Thank's LongRang, I don't think I can enjoy life to it's full potential until I try a Krieger maybe Brux and have heard good things about Benchmark.

But it would be nice to have a few more Bartliens stored away for future use. I am not rich by any means,, I have mortgage bill's kid's wife, and pay child support for oldest child and I work at a small auto repair place,, been there 12 years.To top it off I live in N.Y. about 6-7 hours away from N.Y. city thankfully.

I lied,, the dime doesn't quite cover the 6 shot group.

Considering the severe condition's of mirage and wind direction I only cut the 10 ring 3 times out of 40 shot's at 300 yards.

Last edited by DanSavage; 09-25-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Basic Member
    The Brux barrel that Fred at SSS spun for me is a fantastic shooter. It's boringly accurate at 1000 yards lol
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

LongRange
    I shot a krieger and that will be the one and only...

I feel ya Dan...I'm a superintendent for a roofing Co. In Reno,have kids and a wife...just bought my daughter her first car and 2 days later my step son got in an accident so I had to get him a car...$4200 bucks in cars I don't drive in the last week...plus all the other bills...the American Dream...I should of stayed single lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan that's some nice shooting. 6BR is a great choice and Apache's machine work is always top notch (that's my roughly 15yrs machinist experience talking LOL ). Good choice, Good shooting, and Good Luck in future matches.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Very well done! And a nice looking rig you have there

Basic Member
    Canadien ehh. Maybe he was tired from the long drive? Maybe he was a French Canadien and just gave up?
    Did his gun have a Bartlien barrel?
    Anyway nice job Dan. Next time really tick them off by using the old scissor jack. lol

Very nice! And, it figures... just at the time I was ready to get one, he closed his orders.

Banned
    Apache door is not closed technically, he just has a long line up, not sure if he is taking numbers for the line or not.

Dennis closed his doors sadly but may hear he is working directly with Jim. If so Jim might open up for orders again

Basic Member
    what stock is that, looks nice for bench shooting

Chet

Very nice shooting! Fine looking setup ya have there. Congrats on the match. I've not had any of those barrels but I've got either 3 or 4 barrels from Jim and his work is awesome!
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    what stock is that, looks nice for bench shooting

Chet
    Thanks guy's the stock is a Savage F class model for the Target Actions. It happens to have the same screw spacing as the regular short action with the 4.4 spacing. I just don't use the middle screw, and single feed it.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

The gun recoils straight back, I keep my shoulder just off the butt pad, once the rifle has fired and slides back I can immediately examine the target through the scope. I look for the hit while extracting the fired case. Then I chamber one and move the rifle ahead to the stop post. Most times the reticle is within the x ring,, if not my rear bag moved a little,, but we're going to fix that real soon.

I managed a clean 400-34x at a 200 yard match with the rifle,, It is a great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Canadien ehh. Maybe he was tired from the long drive? Maybe he was a French Canadien and just gave up?
    Did his gun have a Bartlien barrel?
    Anyway nice job Dan. Next time really tick them off by using the old scissor jack. lol
    Thanks yobuck, I'm sure the man from Canada was tired from driving, he has to have a special invitation slip to show at the border to cross with a rifle I guess. I think I heard him say it's a 4 hour one way trip so I'd like to think that he is a dedicated serious competitor lol.
    I believe his rifle had a Krieger barrel on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Thank's LongRang, I don't think I can enjoy life to it's full potential until I try a Krieger maybe Brux and have heard good things about Benchmark.

But it would be nice to have a few more Bartliens stored away for future use. I am not rich by any means,, I have mortgage bill's kid's wife, and pay child support for oldest child and I work at a small auto repair place,, been there 12 years.To top it off I live in N.Y. about 6-7 hours away from N.Y. city thankfully.

I lied,, the dime doesn't quite cover the 6 shot group.

Considering the severe condition's of mirage and wind direction I only cut the 10 ring 3 times out of 40 shot's at 300 yards.

Basic Member
    Target no. 2 is looking pretty spectacular, Dan! Very good shooting all 'round.

Looking forward to getting my 6BR barrel throated next week to Norma specs and 105 SMK.