Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primary arms 4-14x44

h2ogunr

primary arms 4-14x44

i would like to mount this on a stevens model 200 in 270 with the factory mounts to replace the 3-9x40. is the 44 objective to large? will it fit?

h2ogunr

How high are the rings? When trying to size rings for a scope remember you are dealing with circles. The action is a 1.350" circle. the scope tube is more than likely 1" or 30mm(roughly 1 3/16ths") circle. Things to consider are eyepiece outside diameter, objective lens and tube OD.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I used the PA medium bases on some random base rail I had lying around. Fits fine and dandy with a scope cap even.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Are the factory rings on your rifle 30mm? The PA scope is a 30mm tube.

h2ogunr
    i didnt catch that. glad you said so. i think ive settled on a redfield revolution

I have a PA 4-14,not impressed.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I have a PA 4-14,not impressed.
    Yeah, I never did get the reviews.

Really? Why?

We did a bunch of head-to-head tests against a SWFA 3-15HD, and it easily walked over it. I don't claim it is the second coming, but for $229 it's the best FFP mil/mil I've run accross.

Be interested to hear what you didn't like

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Really? Why?

We did a bunch of head-to-head tests against a SWFA 3-15HD, and it easily walked over it. I don't claim it is the second coming, but for $229 it's the best FFP mil/mil I've run accross.

x2 for the price point is smoked my Redfield Revolutions 4-12. So bad I sold the redfield and bought another PA.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

I just don't care for the reticle. Had it on a 223 bolt gun then moved it to an AR. Still not liking it.

..... So not liking a standard USMC Mil-Dot reticle makes you unimpressed with the rest of the scope?

It is not a mil dot and the adjustments are mushy and no way to lock them in place. That enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Really? Why?

I know this is rhetorical and I do respect your opinion, but who is "WE" and what do you call head to head? What does walking all over another scope mean?

Clarity, eye strain from exit pupil at high power, Accurate travel/tracking and durability are my preference..

What did your test do to prove one scope is better than the other.

Crickets

It is not a mil dot and the adjustments are mushy and no way to lock them in place. That enough for ya?
    Sorry you had to listen to crickets, this one of my busy seasons, so chattingng online isn't a high priority.
    So you don't have the standard mil-dot, you bought one of the other reticles, now I follow. Clicks and lock, fair enough complaint, but back to the $229 price tag; no one else does this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I know this is rhetorical and I do respect your opinion, but who is "WE" and what do you call head to head? What does walking all over another scope mean?

Clarity, eye strain from exit pupil at high power, Accurate travel/tracking and durability are my preference..

What did your test do to prove one scope is better than the other.
    Well I thought I posted both here, but just the first.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ms-4-14-Review

So "WE" that I referenced, are a group of shooters shooting side by side. Of them, only MZ5 is a member here.
    So if you don't want to read the review, here is the gist.
    For the 1,000 - 1,500 yard shooting there were 3 different scopes. My PA, Weaver Tactical, and MZ5's SWFA 3-15 HD.
    All shooters rotated around the rifles and scopes shooting each. While individual eyes and preferences have slightly different takes on things; the group agreed. The target resolution past 1k in the heat really crippled the SWFA. Since we knew where the 1,500 yard target was, we could "see it". But if you didn't know what it was, you would think it a washed-out tumbleweed. The colors and circles were gone, the heat waves made size estimation impossible.

I don't know whether it is glass or coatings, but the PA was leaps and bounds better than the SWFA in the heat of the day. The SWFA is brighter, but target resolution stinks.

What is so remarkable to me, is what you get for the price. Is it the worlds best at the box test? Certainly not. I'd it the brightest? No.
    But the point is that it is a perfectly acceptable second choice to the Weaver, and optically better than the SWFA. Both of those scopes(except Natchez is currently blowing out the Weaver) are $700+ scopes. The PA is $229!!!
    The PA has less backlash in the turret clicks than the SWFA, more than the Weaver. Lines-up with the hash marks better than the Weaver and SWFA.

I now have a few road trips to AZ, with that gun/scope bouncing around on the floorboards or under luggage. My exact round count I'm not able to get to at the moment, but is around the 1,500 - 1,800 mark. It's even been tumbled down a hill while strapped to a 4-wheeler.

My experience says for the price paid, it is an absolute steal. It isn't ever going to compete with top tier optics, but beats-up on many mid level optics, at low level prices.

Darn it, Now I'm going to have to get one....Nope, PA is 10 miles away and I don't want to pay tax on it.

Basic Member
    Robin Hood, sent you PM message.

I think they are a steal. Variable power, mil/mil, ffp? That's a lot to ask for in a $225 scope even a super crappy one. I was very impressed with the quality considering I bought it just for the features. Optically and functionality wise I would say it's about even with my fixed power swfa scopes but I don't trust that it is any where near as durable. After buying the first one I would gladly buy another if I needed another scope and money was an issue.

I have used this scope for about a year now. I purchased my first bolt action rifle and wanted a scope in the entry level price range. I landed on the pa 4x14x and am very happy with it so far. The only thing that I really don't like is the somewhat mushy feeling on the turrets. If I had it to do over again I would still pick this optic over anything in its price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New guy question.....
    When you say locking the turrets in place are you referring to locking them down so they don't get bumped or having a zero stop so you can roll them back to zero???

He means to prevent movement.
    Some scopes have a "push" to lock/un-lock, some use a brake affair where you essentially expand a set of brake shoes out on the turret to prevent movement. An example for that system is the NightForce BEAST.

I've waffled on that idea personally. I have scopes that have locking turrets and scopes that don't. When I started, I thought I HAD to have them, at this point I really don't care. Never had one get "spun" unless flopping around when driving to AZ. I always check things out before shooting anyway, so my current mindset is that it doesn't matter.

I could see needing that for hunting while your carrying your rifle through the woods. I only shoot at the range so that's not something that interests me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Darn it, Now I'm going to have to get one....Nope, PA is 10 miles away and I don't want to pay tax on it.
    Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I bought a few of these based upon Darkker's original review and he nailed it. I don't think there's anything else I would buy even near it's price point, except maybe a cheap Bushnell with RainGuard for short range hunting.

Basic Member
    Life has it's priorities, at least for most of us.
    It could even get as bad as choosing between a scope we'd like or beer. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast