Thread: Konus pro 550 scope ??

swamphonkey

Konus pro 550 scope ??

I'm setting a up rifle for my mother to hunt this year with. I have a nice little youth model 7mm08 I put a nice boyds stock made to fit her perfect. And Went to buy a scope this morning to finish it well I was going to get another Nikon pro staff 2.5x10 x 40 Because I have used them for a lot of my deer rifles and they have held up well and for the money I think they are hard to beat. Well the gun Smith told me to look threw the Konus he had on his personal rifle. Well I have to say it is a very clear and crisp scope. He did admit that he has not hunted with it but it has held up to a 300 win mag for over 160 rounds with out P.o.I. change.
    Are the pro series Konus 550 scopes worth installing. Or should I just get old reliable and slap a Nikon on it?
    He did say that the quality of the konus Pro is light years ahead of the old scopes they produced. I'm sure someone has one on this forum to give me advice.
    Thank you in advance. J

I have had both. Not a fan of either. Without doing scope reviews, and based on optical quality alone(not just clarity) the Nikon is the better option. Durability in harsh environments might warrant another conversation.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

swamphonkey
    Thanks. I already put a vortex I had on a rifle I never shoot on it . She will be fine with it. In her shooting house she only has about a 150 yard shot max. And she only shoots two does a year for her freezer. So I'm thinking after the first weekend of season the rifle will go back in the safe until next season.