Thread: Building a "practical rifle", looking for a reasonable low mag variable

Basic Member

Building a "practical rifle", looking for a reasonable low mag variable

I'm new to the Savage world. I've been wanting to build a "practical rifle" for some time now - a short, light, 1-3x or 1-4x optic equipped rifle in .308 for offhand use out to 200 or so yards. (I've heard these referred to as "walking rifles" if that helps.) I was planning on building this - someday - on a Tikka T3 Lite, but I found the Stevens 200 and was able to afford starting the project right now.

I've had good luck with Talley one piece rings/bases on my 700, so I'm leaning to using them on this rifle. I'm trying to decide what optic to use with about a $300 or so budget. So far I'm considering the Nikon 1-4x Monarch African, a Weaver 1-3x, a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x or a Leupold VX-II 1-4x. Illuminated would be a plus but I think it's unlikely with any kind of quality in my price range.

Can anyone offer their experiences with less expensive lower powered variables like these? Thanks!
    Just a guy.

Re: Building a "practical rifle", looking for a reasonable low mag variable

I have an older Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x on my 375 H&H. It is very clear and fast, especially at lower power. It has had no problems taking the pounding of 300gr bullets and the 375 H&H recoil. I'm sure a Nikon scope would hold up just fine on your 308. Lately I've been thinking of upping the scope power to a 2-7x, or a 2-8x to give me some more range. You don't say what the intended targets are at 200yds, but in a 4x scope 200 yds is pretty small.

I use mine for elk hunting, as a backup for my 338 Win mag, and want enough scope to shoot to 300 yds
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

I&#39;d be happy to be able to hold to 2 MOA, so a dinner plate at 200 would be generous. Think everything from deer-sized game to wilderness personal defense.
    Just a guy.

Basic Member

Somebody suggested I look at a shotgun version of a 1-4x because of the shorter parallax - that 75 yards might work better for a gun intended for use out to 200. Comments?
    Just a guy.

I don&#39;t think you&#39;ll have any parallax issues in a 1-4x scope. The preset parallax should be fine for you. Usually you don&#39;t "see" any issues unless the scope power gets greater than 10x, and you&#39;re shooting either at very close, or very distant targets. One thing you may gain with the "shotgun" scope is, most come with a heavier reticle for faster target acquisition at short range.

You will notice a bit of "fish eye" with the low power scopes set at their lowest settings. Also, you&#39;ll get used to seeing the muzzle in the scope view as you&#39;re sighting the rifle. That&#39;s something you don&#39;t see when the scope power gets over about 3x, unless you have open sights on it as well.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Brianatl

Weaver 1 x 3 great scope great price.

375Win

Most of my coyote guns have low powerred variables, 1x4&#39;ish. I like the Nikon an older Monarch, I have it on my 35 Whelen for calling bear. I have 2 Weaver V-3 one on a Sav.24V 223 over 20ga the other on a deer rifle. Two Leupold 1x4x20 one on a 6mm-204 and the other on a 6x45mm bolt actions. A Sightron 1.5x6x 40 it&#39;s bigger scope but FOV is great for called in coyotes. Lastly I have a Elite 4200 1.25x4x24mm Ill. dot on a rifle that I use out here in the rainforest country always dark and rainy.

I&#39;d rate them

1. Leupold 1x4x20mm Very clear at all powers very forgiving for eye position when you have those shots in really uncomfortable positions.

2. Sightron 1.5x6x40mm Everything the Leupold has but it&#39;s a full size scope

3. Nikon 1.5x4.5x 20mm Very clear, good eye relief but more critical on eye position compared to the Leupold

4. Weaver V-3 Much like the Nikon, one of mine shows a little fisheye at the very edge at low power but the FOV is incredible and I leave it at 1x mounted low on the rifle/shotgun and use it to shoot flying birds.

5. Bushnell 1.25x4x24mm This is a great scope very clear, the dot and Rainguard are just what I need for my application BUT it is heavy at over one pound and you have to deal with batteries

A couple of pics

Bushnell
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/squirelstroop4200007.jpg[/img]

Weaver and Leupold
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/PICT0032.jpg[/img]
    375win

Hopes this helps

Basic Member

Thanks, 375. Is your Leupold a VX-II or an older one? Your comments about eye position are what I&#39;m looking for.
    Just a guy.

Team Savage

I had a Leupold 1-4X VXII on a Ruger 44 magnum deerfield and its a really nice scope.
    I would definitely buy another one.

Another option and a better choice IMO for 308 if you can live with 2X on the bottom end is a
    2-7x VX1 at $200. I think we have 4 rifles set up with that 2-7X leupold. It is also very light.

Weaver has a new scope (I think its new) that is a 2-10X scope at about $200.

The 2-10X will be my next scope to try for 308.
    That said I don&#39;t know anything about them at all.
    Never even seen one.

Eric in NC

I really like the Burris compact 2 - 7X for a gun that has the potential to shoot longer ranges. Have them on everything from short barreled Mausers (set up for what you are talking about) to FALs and they work well.

375Win

One of the Leupolds is a VX-II and the other a VariX-II I can&#39;t tell any difference between the two other than the friction adjustments on the VariX.

I have a Weaver V-10 and while it&#39;s a nice scope and I&#39;ll be using it in a competitive shoot coming up I prefer the Elite 4200 2.5x10 that I have on another rifle. I tried a Burris FF-II in 2x7x40 but the optics were really substandard to the Leupold, Nikon, Sightrons and even the Weavers.
    I have a little Weaver VR-7 on a little Hornet that I like.
    375Win

Team Savage

375 win...

How do you rate the V10 for clarity, tracking, eye relief ??

This will be a hunting scope for me.

slaroy

I like a 2-7 magnification, just because I hate missing out on the longer shots if they present themselves. Check out cameraland, they have a vortex viper 2-7 for $175. Seems like a great deal.

Basic Member

No real interest in anything past 4x on this one, I&#39;m used to 3.4x for this type of shooting - and 1x or close is a must. Good news on the Leupold VariX-II and the VX-II 1-4x being similar.

I took a drive after work to one of the largest gun stores in the area and they didn&#39;t have the Nikon, the Weaver nor the VX-II. They did have a Mark AR 1.5-4x, not bad - but I want to see the VX-II in particular first. I think it&#39;s time for a Cabellas trip.
    Just a guy.

375Win

The Weaver V-10, how would I rate it? Clarity is great, I&#39;m going to a poker shoot where you shoot a playing cards at 150-200yrd and the best poker hand for 5 shots wins. I feel comfortable shooting the V-10 and being able to pick out cards at that distance. I&#39;ve never had a Weaver that didn&#39;t track well and I shot alot of old steel tube K-1.5 to V-4.5&#39;s over the past 50yrs and the new ones seem to be as good. Eye relief I haven&#39;t thought about as I haven&#39;t had it on anything bigger than a 300 Sav. The only neg. is that you see alot of tube, most scopes you barely see the tube, with the V-10 there is a distinct black ring around the sight picture. For me a plus is the smaller objective and with out Fast Focus (which I never use), smaller occular housing I can mount it very low with out interfering with the bolt handle.

375Win

Basic Member

I was planning on using Talleys on this build; after reading about Dednutz mounts here and elsewhere I think I&#39;m going to give them a try.

And I&#39;m back to considering the Nikon African 1-4x based on reports that it doesn&#39;t "fisheye" as much as the Leupold VX-II at 1x.
    Just a guy.

slaroy

+1 on the dednutz mount.

GentleBen

You are going to be so disappointed with a low-power scope on this type of rifle. If I were you and in your price range, I would look at the either the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with mil-dot reticle or the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 target dot reticle scopes. Both are below $300 and will serve both ends of your shooting. You can find them new as low as $250. Very clear and sharp and very versatile on a .308 bolt gun.

There is a reason why newspapers and magazines use Nikon lenses exclusively -- they are bright and sharp.

Also, consider your age ... your eyes won&#39;t be as sharp as they are now for very much longer. That is why higher-powered scopes are so popular.

Basic Member

Ben, thanks for your thoughts - but I&#39;m quite sure about what I&#39;m looking for. In my opinion the scopes you mention are seriously overglassed for a 200M lightweight rifle.
    Just a guy.

Basic Member

I made a decision - a Nikon African 1-4x, it&#39;ll probably get ordered next week. The DNZ mount came in today, it&#39;s a very nice piece of machining!
    Just a guy.

375Win

I think your realy going to like that combination.

Enjoy

375Win

Basic Member

I&#39;ll report back after I have it all together!
    Just a guy.

I would lean toward the VX2 1-4 it&#39;s in your price range and happens to be what I have on my walking rifle. I would like to have a German #4 reticle in mine but the standard duplex has worked fine so far.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member

USPS managed to lose my optics purchase (two scopes and a red dot), but it finally showed up a week late. The Nikon 1-4x African is mounted up in a DNZ low mount. I think this will work out well!
    Just a guy.